No announcement yet.

Eumig Motor Mounts Replaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Joseph, Graham, and Paul. So I did the adjustment for the take-up spindle, and guess what....it worked! I backed the nut a couple small turns. It took a few adjustments but the noise I reported earlier is now gone! I think someone in the past may have over adjusted this nut. The tension seemed to be quite high. Paul I took your advice as well, and watched the take-up reel near the end of a film. I ran the same 400 foot reel twice, and no noise This forum continues to amaze me with everyone's knowledge, and willingness to help out! The Eumig now purrs like a silent sleek machine!
    Last edited by Shane C. Collins; January 23, 2022, 08:16 PM.

Comment

There you go Shane, a nice perfectly running machine now. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
        There you go Shane, a nice perfectly running machine now. Enjoy!
        It's interesting how just a few small adjustments can make such a big difference. The Eumig has gone from running OK to running like a brand new machine. I just did a quick video of the Eumig running like a top now! Here's a link.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Muh4uDe5PI
        Last edited by Shane C. Collins; January 24, 2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Looks and sounds like a brand new machine Shane. That's just the way it is with Eumig's, most of them were built like tanks and are eminently fixable.
          Nothing quite as satisfying as bringing a projector back to new condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
            Looks and sounds like a brand new machine Shane. That's just the way it is with Eumig's, most of them were built like tanks and are eminently fixable.
            Nothing quite as satisfying as bringing a projector back to new condition.
            Paul it is very satisfying to bring a vintage projector back up to new condition! I've been dabbling in Super 8 since 2005. I've learned a lot since then about filming, and projectors. The Eumig is a bit different, using rubber disc instead of belts. But everyone's help on here gave me the confidence with replacing the motor mounts, and restoring those discs. I have to wonder how many Eumig's are just sitting idle, or no longer in service because people aren't aware of the reconditioning of the disc, and installing new motor mounts. Maybe a "sticky" here with that information would help people in restoring these unique machines?
            One thing I noticed when cleaning, and renewing those rubber discs, was the quality of the rubber. My machine dates from sometime in the 60's, but the rubber, after cleaning, looks almost brand new. So I'd say the rubber Eumig used was of high quality. I'm sure there are exceptions with machines that have sat in less than desirable conditions. I wonder what the percentage is of machines that still have good rubber that just needs reconditioned, and those that have started to crack and dry. In doing online searches I haven't come across many posts about Eumig's having cracked rubber, etc.
            Last edited by Shane C. Collins; January 26, 2022, 07:23 AM.

Comment

As I mentioned in the Elmo GP thread, I am awaiting new motor mounts from Van-Eck myself. I will start a new thread for some questions, since it is not all related to the motor mounts.

Comment

Working...
              X