X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A curious tale of Eumig eBay lots.

Following on from Shane's Eumig Moto Mount Replacement post:
    https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ounts-replaced
    I spotted the other day a curious eBay lot.
    A Eumig Mark S Super 8 and to go with it a C5! Recently bought a few early Mark M style Eumigs, most in some form of working order. You know "turn the main dial and the spindles will rotate". Cosmetically good. On arrival through the post, the motor mounts are distroyed. I've seen some novel replacements too. Hard rubber drilled for the motor pivot, even a thick card. I like the ideas, they just weren't executed correctly.
    Erik would have a fit at the state of some screw heads too.
    Shane though, I noticed the pivot mount on the back of the fan housing having grey paint. This is back in his thread on motor mounts. I assumed he painted them after replacement of the mounts but no! The whole fan housing was removed. Now why didn't I think of that ​​​​​​. I mention this as others hadn't thought of it either in their attempts to repair mounts and taking the adjustable bracket may be quick but probably not as good as removing the fan cover.
    This new Mark S Super 8 does look good cosmetically but the mounts had gone and been replaced with the aforementioned hard rubber. Didn't work so another one for the bench. The C5 has an odd battery arangment. 5 double A's (AA) in a custom box. Good job too as a bit of leaking!
    Thought I'd have a peek inside and low and behold, a film.
    So why a curious tale? Haveing the Super 8 Mark S completes my early collection of Mark S and Mark S 709. The C5 was an aid to a database. The source material having reference to C5 and other cameras but until I did a search, didn't know what a C5 was. It's another Eumig first. But why pair a double 8 camera with a Super 8 projector?
    I guess as it was ment for me

Very interesting Stuart,
    Yes the gray paint was factory applied at Eumig. Joseph Banfield walked me through the process of how to remove the motor. It was easier just removing the two mounting screws, and leaving the fan screws alone. He advised not messing with the alignment of those fan cover screws. His advise paid off, and the whole unit pulled straight out.

Since we're talking about Eumig I have some good news, or at least possibly some good news. Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I have been talking with a gentleman here in the US who re-rubbers pinch rollers and idlers for reel to reel tape recorders, and cassette decks. He's been doing this for about 30 years. I sent him photos of the rubber discs in my Mark M Super 8 projector. We've been back and forth through emails. At this point he is pretty confident he can re-rubber these discs. So I've decided to send him the two rubber discs from my Eumig parts machine. My next step is figuring out how to remove them. If anyone has advise or instructions on doing so please let me know. Once they are removed I'll be mailing to Terry. He will then attempt to add new rubber. He's the only guy I know of that can possibly bring new life to these aging rubber discs. I'll report back once he's done with them. Here's a link to his website. http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/ He will be charging me $50 a disc if he's able to do them. Here's a few photos of his new rubber applied to reel to reel tape recorder pinch rollers.

Note: Here's his reply back to me today...."If you want to send them I will take a look and maybe I can re-rubber them. I will give it my best. It appears the motor runs on the side of the roller rather than on the other edge? If so how critical is the thickness of the rubber. You will have to tell me what areas are critical or what to be aware of."

If anyone has any advice to his above questions please please let me know. I did respond telling him the rubber doesn't look all that thick, and that it's the same thickness throughout. Also explained to him how the speed selector lifts or lowers the drive ball for 18 fps, and 24 fps. He's an expert with reel to reel pinch rollers etc. In fact I know he's worked from service manual specs, etc. He's probably re-rubbered hundreds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02733a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.5 KB ID:	54172
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Pioneer909 (Small).jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.2 KB ID:	54173
    Last edited by Shane C. Collins; February 13, 2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

No hijacking as it's Eumig and most of my post are all over the place anyway. The 18 - 24 fps are hard points for frequency electrical supplies. Would have been good to have full range on speed with just a click stop for the low/high crossover point.

Rerubber discs facility would be good. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Budd View Post
        No hijacking as it's Eumig and most of my post are all over the place anyway. The 18 - 24 fps are hard points for frequency electrical supplies. Would have been good to have full range on speed with just a click stop for the low/high crossover point.

Rerubber discs facility would be good. 👍
        Yeah I decided to start a new thread! I've got my fingers crossed he can do it. He certainly has the experience.

Comment

I think originally the projector and camera were not sold as a set, they may have been come together at some point over the years and now they were sold by someone who does not know there are two 8mm systems. thats my guess.

Comment

Working...
          X