Optical Sound Film List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optical Sound Film List

Reading a number of recent posts that mention optical sound prints, it occurred to me that there are a LOT of super 8 titles, some rare, with optical sound that escaped landfill in the day. I would stand corrected, but I don't think any one person could say how many prints are actually out there or which titles survived.

So, I am starting this new topic with a list of MY optical features.

I would be grateful if others with optical features could also contribute so that we could get some sort of idea what is still out there even if your collection contains duplicates of what has already been mentioned. At least we would know that there are 2 copies around.

To kick off then......

The African Queen

Little Shop of Horrors

The Sea Wolves

Teachers ( Nick Nolte / JoBeth Williams)

Death on The Nile

Blame It On Rio (Michael Caine)

City Heat

Memories of Me

The Shillingbury Melon

Great idea Melvin..here’s my list....

The 39 Steps 1978 Robert Powell
    Bite the Bullet Gene Hackman
    The Internecine Project James Coburn
    Lethal Weapon Mel Gibson
    Over the Top Sylvester Stallone
    Shout at the Devil Lee Marvin
    Women in Red Gene Wilder
    The Burglars Omar Shariff
    Claras Heart Whoopi Goldberg
    City Heat Clint Eastwood
    Pale Rider Clint Eastwood
    The Golden Seal Steve Railsback
    Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid Sam Peckinpah

I have a few World on Parade advert reels too

Comment

Hi Melvin, I have only got 3 features with optical sound but there is something about having a super 8 film with that type of soundtrack and I love them. Mine are,

Stagecoach,

A Town Called Alice

Riddle Of The Sands

Best wishes, Clive

Comment

Capricorn One (flat).

Comment

This would take a heck of a lot of time for me, but I will make a list and give it a go. Nice to see a couple of those westerns!

Comment

Hedda 1975 Glenda Jackson
            Conduct Unbecoming 1975 Michael York

I don't consider either film to be of interest to passengers in a plane.

Comment

les innocents aux mains sales 1975 Ex Air France

Salut l' artiste 1973 Ex Air France

Un Cave 1972 Ex Air France

lovers and other strangers 1970

Memories of Me 1988

Women in Red 1984

Comment

That lovers and other strangers is a rarity. I never heard of it before. OK, let's get started. Point Blank, Conduct Unbecoming, They Kill they're Masters, Maxie, Charge of the Model T's, Izzy and Moe, The Mean Season, Firefox, Pale Rider, Spaceballs, Lethal Weapon, Earthling, Crocodile Dundee, Billion Dollar Hobo, The Daybreakers(two hour feature version of "The Sacketts"), Das Boot, Battle of Britian, (scope!), Stagecoach, Grayeagle, Rocky 3, The Bounty, Sacred Ground, Gorky Park, Boy Named Charlie Brown, Snoopy Come Home, Little Shop of Horrors, Hooper, Future world, Superman 3, The Long Ride, lslabd of Dr Moreau, Bugsy Malone, Yellowbeard, Matilda, Purple Rose of Cairo, Lone Wolf McQuade, The Survivors. That's all I can think of off of the top of my head. There's more. Probably around sixty. This doesn't include the cartoons or the short subjects, which would be a much smaller list.

Comment

Here's some more ... Remo Williams, Greystroke, Woman in Red, Never So Few, Tender Mercies, Westworld, Hot Millions, Internecine Project, Sudden Impact, Starbird and Sweet Williams, Diamonds Are Forever, For Your Eyes Only, Pocket Full of Miracles, Romance of a Horsethief, Dillinger, Force 10 of Navarone, Vera Cruz, Children of a Lesser God, Finders Keepers, City Heat, Just You and Me Kid, and of course, Grizzly Adams, which began as an optical feature, but was converted to magnetic sound. Except for three or four, all of them have vintage or near vintage color. I might be off on the count, but I think that is 69 features, and there might be one or two more.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Last edited by Osi Osgood; March 17, 2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

A time ago, I got "The Go-Between" (1971) as S8 optical print.

Comment

I know that Osi likes optical features, but that is an amazing collection!

Comment

I believe some adverts from those flight reels also got onto the market I bought one at a Derann open day (Cigarettes, but as I don't smoke I can't remember the brand).

Comment

These are the ones that i have Pharlap,Racing with the moon,A matter of time,The Earthling,Scandalous,Pale Rider,Thunderball,Footloose,A fish called Wanda,Bugsy Malone,Porridge [but I only have the first 600ft],Rising Damp,the Jigsaw man,Star Wars, a golf film[think its world of sport but not sure haven't watched it in a while] and a 200ft Popeye cartoon I think I have a couple of others but can't place my hand on them at the mo but will have a good look and update once ive found em.

Comment

I got RAISE THE TITANIC and FORCE 10 FROM NAVARONE flat prints

Comment

Well Russ, you at least have a top dollar print in that optical feature of Star Wars! I forgot, I also actually have a trailer for "The Way We Were", which I find interesting, as, did they have this before a feature on an in flight movie? Another curiosity, is that, for the long trans-atlantic flights, they actually had a few epics. I know of one for sure, Ben Hur. It was on two of those large cartridges or cassettes, as you could only have upwards of two hours per cassette. They were ideal for those long flights!
                              Last edited by Osi Osgood; March 18, 2022, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X