Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KICKSTARTER for new Super 8mm Sound print digests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The print stock is that slow to give very fine grain, even more essential for S8 prints.

Comment

I'm slow to respond but of the titles mentioned, I'd particularly like 'Terminator 3'. A price anywhere near $150 would be a big incentive to buy, as rises in the last 6-7 years seem huge, although I'm not grumbling as I know there are formidable challenges to overcome in producing any release, so I applaud the inclination.

I have 'purist' leanings in terms of using a film source, but in view of the digital intermediate that I believe has applied to practically all prints for many years, it's difficult to avoid any digital stage. And no doubt a 100% purist would rule out anything shot with a digital camera, even if it had ended up on 35mm. I suppose anyone advocating digital sources could argue that printing on Super 8 creates the film 'look' in much the same way as a film with a digital intermediate ending up on 35mm. I don't known whether any of us could reliably tell the difference when it comes to Super 8 prints, but it would be interesting to find out!

If only there were 'rival' labs in (e.g.) UK and the USA providing some competition, and more striping and recording services, partly so that any release could be completed in the same country. With hindsight, if only keen collectors could have pooled their resources with a view to buying some of the equipment that labs were getting rid of around 10 years ago, although I appreciate that printers need space and ventilation, and are useless if you can't buy the stock they need.

Comment

I'd say that the processing tanks need more ventilation than the printers, Adrian. The fumes off some of the chemicals aren't good.

Also Larry's reperforators would be a big help if someone had bought them, even though they needed a three phase supply I imagine that could be provided by electronic inverters now.

Comment

I appreciate all comments and discussion here. Good stuff. Hindsight is 20/20 and wouldn't it be nice to have competitors to print and stripe Super 8mm today so that those who would like to own features and digests on Super 8mm could do so without costing an arm and leg.

Comment

Although I am not going to be the market (financial consideration) but I am curios no one vote for Twister (1996). It is a full action movie and will be easy to cut it down onto 16-18 minutes show as the story line is very simple.

Comment

Twister would most definitely have to be a stereo super 8 release, and even better if they could somehow transfer the Dolby surround to super 8, as I was majorly impressed with how immersive that surround sound was. It really enhanced the twister effects!

Comment

As Dolby surround was matrixed it should transfer OK from a Dolby Stereo analogue source. The Stereo prints from Derann were always played with a Dolby Stereo amplified at the BFCC. It helped with the "mono compatibility" claims as all (or most) sound was there on the main track, but not at the right levels.

Comment

...The origin of this thread was to arrive at a concensus as to what would be the best 600' member funded release. This opened a can of worms for Phillip. It seems to be going off in all directions. Maybe we could just answer his question. What film would be best suited to a must have 30 minute digest!

Comment

It will never happen Burton. Not enough members on here will ever agree a single title to have as a cutdown 600ft. And even if they do the big problem then becomes finding a very good 35mm print in which to edit down (I.e physically cut). And the older the film the more difficulty in finding a print that is pristine. We've had these ideas before and they never lead anywhere. The best thing Phil can do is to draw up a shortlist of titles he can get hold of easily in 35mm and take it from there. Sorry to be blunt.

Comment

The series of non-verbal art films would interest me enough to take the plunge.

From Koyannisqatsi - the section called THE GRID - would be worth the price alone. This is perhaps one of the best sequences of this movie. Time lapse photography set to wicked wild music.

From Nacoyqatsi - the third installment - life as war based on technology advancement.

From Baraka - the Ron Fricke film which was shot in 70MM. A must have in Cinemascope. Where Koyannisqatsi travels the USA, this masterpiece travels the Globe.

And finally, the sequel to Baraka, "Samsara." A follow up of which as a sequel is a masterpiece.

I have not mentioned the 2nd in the Qatso series - Powwaqatsi. This was a bad attempt to travel the Globe. I guess Ron Fricke saw the mistakes because he nailed it with Baraka & Samsara.

To have 30 minute copies of these scaled down films would be a 2 hour show of priceless footage. Life is Out of Balance, especially in 2022. Imagine what these filmakers could have done had they known the pandemic was coming.........

It would be a must have in my super 8 collection. ALL FOUR OF THEM.

Comment

I would suggest an less ambitious effort. Rather than 600 foot new release, select an existing short that will come in at 200 feet or less. This would avoid the need to do any editing. It would also potentially reduce the cost to about one third of a 600 foot release, or about $132. Don't insist on analog. A print from a high quality digital source printed to film would be fine.

The following film runs 7 1/2 minutes:

I would think that a high quality Super 8 release of a short like this should have a broad enough appeal to film collectors to make it a viable project.

The critical thing is to pick a film, and "sell it" to potential participants. Until that is done, this project will never get the momentum to proceed.

Comment

I agree with having a 200ft short that doesn't require editing and is cheaper. I would add that it shouldn't really be released before as most of these film clip shorts like the above have already been. I myself like Ed are not concerned about it coming from a digital source and if it makes it easier and better go for it. I think Jurassic Park was cleaned up digitally and It looks good to me.

Personally speaking if I was to put my money on a film I would prefer it to be something modern as it gives any audience that wow factor. Maybe a new Star Wars trailer reel would be a good seller with the new SW films of course that have never been on S8 before.

Graham S

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Sinden View Post
                            ... I myself like Ed are not concerned about it coming from a digital source and if it makes it easier and better go for it. I think Jurassic Park was cleaned up digitally and It looks good to me.
                            Graham S
                            Digital at this point in time is very close to film, especially UHD. Regardless, digital is becoming the only source since the majority of new movies are being created digitally. Digital restoration saved George Pal's "Brothers Grimm". When Grimm was restored they found that restoration from existing film elements was prohibitively expensive. If not for digital, this film would have been lost.

In a perfect world, all movies would be created on film, and released digitally. Unfortunately even that compromise is mostly considered too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

In a perfect world, all movies would be created on film, and released digitally. Unfortunately even that compromise is mostly considered too expensive.
                              Though I believe many digitally originated "films" have had B&W film separation negatives made for long term storage.

Comment

Honestly, though I appreciate all the suggestions, my own included, I would suggest that folks do what I, Dave and a few others have actually done. Don't wait for a concenscus of opinion because, as stated earlier, you won't get it. Just do it! After all, the very people that, quite frankly, whine about new titles, are the same people who, when you make the titles available, will magically dissapate, not enough money, changed they're minds, whine about the quality, digital over celluloid, ECT ECT. Just do it, enjoy doing it, and let the moaners, groaners and posers continue to moan, groan and pose. You will have done something, that no one can take from you, and you will have the pride of not just talking a lot of hot air, you would have actually had the " manly fortitude " the John Waynian guts, to put your money where your mouth is ... Just do it. " If you print it ... They will come ". Nuff said!

Comment

Working...
                                X