Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A series of expensive mistakes, a newbies journey into 8mm

Hi all,

Just joined today after reading a few posts and seems like you guys genuinely care about this passion for 8mm / Super 8mm and all the lovely surrounding aspects.

I am 48 (born in '74) and my late father brought us up with cine. We would watch Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy and all sorts of really old silent movies. I decided about 10 years ago to set up a scanning company as a side hassle after we lost nearly all the family photographs. Thus I am a semi expert in old photographs, slides and negatives and how to digitise them, having spent thousands on bits of kit.... however cine... it's like a new world!

So what brings me to you? Well it's simple enough. Dad passed away 7 years ago at just 68 and I keep finding things. On Friday I found a roll of cine film. Thus I thought buy a cine projector and off I go... Saturday saw me spend £30 and 2 hours collecting 3 projections and a camera from a chap claiming they work. He was of course half right... they do work but I did not know you needed bulbs, belts and patience!

In the Saturday haul was a whole load of receipts and Telegrams about one of the units from Crookes in Sheffield (where my step Dad randomly grew up). On Monday after ordering belts and one 'spaceman' bulb I spotted another unit (Sankyo) which I thought may be good for spares. It was £5 and would be great... except it's a 'H' and mine was not.

I think what I have done is potentially buy a fair pile of scrap. I could be wrong of course. Looking through threads of you true experts, I think these are the machines you would expect to be thrown out. I have the following:

1. Sankyo Dualux 1000H (Bulb- hanimex a1/231 12volts 100w). Missing belt, some perishing still there (ordered new one). All fires up well. Bulb looks shot though. One on order. Has instruction book, looks like might be good (one of my £30 haul)

2. Sankyo Dualux 1000 (Just collected Monday). Spaceman bulb that seems ok on the multimeter. Bit grotty, will pinch the handle for the other one. Seems to be slightly different. No belt at all. Again fires up fine

3. Cinerex 707 - Belt bought. Bulb not working on multimeter. Ordered a Spaceman 8v 50W from Amazon.Odd thing is that with what I think is a working bulb... when I set to 'lamp' no lamps. In fact... not seen a lamp work on any

4. Rexina 8 zoom lens model P103. Belt arrived today. Had an 8V 50W Toshiba Spaceman bulb in but again.. not illuminating. Also came with a wind up camera. Not sure if that works or not!

Hopefully not bored everyone to death....

On the Rexina 8 - I put my new Amazon bulb in, fitted the belt and BINGO... it worked. Strong smell of electrics (not burning) although this is a gadget from the 60s.

My plan when I registered was to see would any of you kind souls know how to thread my Dad's film in.... however.. between me registering and getting the tape, noticed the tape is super 8 not 8... which I believe is like playing a VHS in a DVD player!

If anyone is local to Leeds, once I get a Super 8mm working, any surplus machines I have would happily donate. I am not in this for the money, just trying to watch Dad's film.

I read a ton of stuff about digitising cine when I set our little company up and only came across one piece of kit that looked like it was very good, although it was thousands and massive! I will explore that rabbit hole in the future.

In the meantime... I think I would like to find a decent Super 8 machine and would welcome thoughts now what to keep my eyes open for!

Thanks for reading!

J

Jay

Welcome to the Forum. We always try to help.
    Here are my comments on your projectors.

1) Keep - A great dual gauge projector, lamps easy to obtain and very reasonable in price.
    2) Discard - Lamps too expensive and now long obsolete.
    3) Utter crap - Well known as a terrible film scratcher. Discard.
    4) Same remarks as item 2.

You can't go wrong with Sankyo projectors.

I hope I haven't offended you.

Comment

Jay,

I'm sure you will get plenty of help and good advice on here.

My own experience on projectors is quite limited to my eumig and bolex but I would highly recommend buying a cheap super 8 silent film off ebay, so that you can use to test your projectors, particularly when it comes to using auto threading.

You don't want your precious family film getting scratched or chewed up!

Good luck with all your efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
        Jay

Welcome to the Forum. We always try to help.
        Here are my comments on your projectors.

1) Keep - A great dual gauge projector, lamps easy to obtain and very reasonable in price.
        2) Discard - Lamps too expensive and now long obsolete.
        3) Utter crap - Well known as a terrible film scratcher. Discard.
        4) Same remarks as item 2.

You can't go wrong with Sankyo projectors.

I hope I haven't offended you.
        Hi Maurice - this is EXACTLY what I needed!! Thank you. I shall put my efforts into getting the Sankyo Dualux 1000H running. Should be getting bulb and belt in the next 48 hours.

The Rexina has so much history to it that it's a shame it's not a viable option (plus it won't work for my Super 8). I might try and find the family of the owner on the receipt to reunite them.

Not offended me at all.... you have HUGELY helped!

Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Sayers View Post
          Jay,

I'm sure you will get plenty of help and good advice on here.

My own experience on projectors is quite limited to my eumig and bolex but I would highly recommend buying a cheap super 8 silent film off ebay, so that you can use to test your projectors, particularly when it comes to using auto threading.

You don't want your precious family film getting scratched or chewed up!

Good luck with all your efforts.
          Hi Gary - that's a great idea! I never thought about learning how to thread on an old film! I was all set last night for running my Super 8 father's film through the Rexina! PHEW!!

Thank you!!!

Comment

As stated,the Sankyo"s are good,the others rubbish!
            The spaceman bulb now very costly,so put your efforts into the other Sankyo. Its bulb is easy to get and fairly cheap.
            I can send you a film to try it out,just pm your address if you need this.Dont risk your family films without a test.

Comment

Thank you, Jay
              You might like to look at the attached websites from Van Eck Video.
              The first link is for an English language manual available as a PDF file. But, from previous dealings they will send you a printed copy at an extra price if you ask via an email.
              The second link is the general site for the Sankyo.

Sankyo Dualux 1000H User manual, Languages: English – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)
              Sankyo Dualux 1000-H – Spare Part Finder – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)

Comment

Originally posted by David Roberts View Post
                As stated,the Sankyo"s are good,the others rubbish!
                The spaceman bulb now very costly,so put your efforts into the other Sankyo. Its bulb is easy to get and fairly cheap.
                I can send you a film to try it out,just pm your address if you need this.Dont risk your family films without a test.
                Hi David - that is incredibly kind of you, will ping you my address and please let know what I owe. I will post some pictures up now of the Rexina... it's heartbreaking that it is of no use as looks like it has such a rich history! It cost £40 in 1963.

Thanks for the warning... I was so close to going straight in!

Do you think the Cinirex with a new belt I just bought would help any folk out on here? Same for the Sankyo? Mechanically they seem great. Can do a bulb test too as bought the Spaceman! (love these bulbs!)

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                  Thank you, Jay
                  You might like to look at the attached websites from Van Eck Video.
                  The first link is for an English language manual available as a PDF file. But, from previous dealings they will send you a printed copy at an extra price if you ask via an email.
                  The second link is the general site for the Sankyo.

Sankyo Dualux 1000H User manual, Languages: English – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)
                  Sankyo Dualux 1000-H – Spare Part Finder – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)
                  Thanks again Maurice! the unit came with a manual! Once my bulb arrives will have a read!

Comment

Not sure if this will work. Link to my G-Drive. Some cracking photos of the reciepts and an old film list thing...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Rj?usp=sharing

Comment

Hello Jay, welcome on board. There is a plethora of projectors out there, especially on Fleabay. But as others have said there are makes to go for. I started of with a Eumig 8 series (802, 810, 820, with a D after the number it means it will run super 8 and standard 8) Yes practice lacing with a test film, but always had at least 8ft of leader (especially to cherished films) so that any errors in auto loading will only damage the leader not the actual film. Also learn how to with draw a film part projected from the projector. Plus a maintained and clean projector will be gentle with your film and should last many more years, especially as most cine projectors are at least 40 years old at a minimum. This forum is great for advice so never shy away from asking. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Barton View Post
                        Hello Jay, welcome on board. There is a plethora of projectors out there, especially on Fleabay. But as others have said there are makes to go for. I started of with a Eumig 8 series (802, 810, 820, with a D after the number it means it will run super 8 and standard 8) Yes practice lacing with a test film, but always had at least 8ft of leader (especially to cherished films) so that any errors in auto loading will only damage the leader not the actual film. Also learn how to with draw a film part projected from the projector. Plus a maintained and clean projector will be gentle with your film and should last many more years, especially as most cine projectors are at least 40 years old at a minimum. This forum is great for advice so never shy away from asking. Cheers
                        Thanks Mark. I have seen some Eumigs on Marketplace so will keep my eyes peeled. Hoping my Sankyo works with a belt and bulb! The loading piece is so appreciated... sounds like I was about to wreck things.

I recall watching Dad feed them in and off we went! Clearly Dad's making things look easy!

Thank you!

Comment

Can't help but totally agree with Maurice - keep that 1000H, and discard the rest (or maybe keep that Dualux 1000 for spares).

That Sankyo ticks every boxes needed. It's rugged, simple, reliable, the lamp is easily obtainable. After replacing the belt & the lamp it should be ready to go, and will go on and on for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
                            Can't help but totally agree with Maurice - keep that 1000H, and discard the rest (or maybe keep that Dualux 1000 for spares).

That Sankyo ticks every boxes needed. It's rugged, simple, reliable, the lamp is easily obtainable. After replacing the belt & the lamp it should be ready to go, and will go on and on for years to come.
                            Thank you Nantawat! My bulb should arrive today so hopefully that is me a step closer to action!!

Comment

Good morning JAY,
                              Further to all the comments resulting from your initial post.
                              If you want an instruction book for your Sankyo p.m. me and I will email to you.
                              Regarding Cinerex 707 I also have a book, but I have experienced the lamp problem, never cured 100 per cent. Turning into revervse then forward makes it work BUT not as should be. I have one on the bench trying to get it work everytime, this is a round to it project!!!

Regards TOM

Comment

Working...
                              X