Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interview with the founder of marketing film (international)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Steve: Thank you, you know: my hat is my signature look for off2 ))

@Osi: I had a lot of questions about dedicated titles. But he didn’t remember. I think here meets the nerd (me) the business man. Those thinks have not been relevant for him. Not enough for keeping them in mind.

@Larry: Manfred Menz is 81 years old now, and has a 14 years old daughter (!). If you‘d like to know more about him, visit the page I added to my website about him (link is in my first post).

Comment

Joachim, that link didn't work for me, said, "not found on server".

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Arpin View Post
        Joachim, that link didn't work for me, said, "not found on server".
        https://off2.de/dialog-uebersicht/ma...r-manfred-menz

Comment

Now it works. The forum added automatically the forum domain in front of mine….

Comment

Dialog: Manfred Menz, founder of marketing film - an interview

Part 3: When video killed the Super 8 star and why he closed the company

Comment

This part of the interview is a reminder that back in the day for most people home cinema was just a means to an end: if you wanted to see a motion picture under your own control this was the only way. By this standard the changeover to home video makes complete sense. It also helps explain the stunned expressions we sometimes get from other people when they find out we get so much satisfaction from our ancient projectors and screens.

It's like meeting somebody that still uses a typewriter.

"-but why don't you just...?"

(-and yes: people collect typewriters too!)

Thanks for these, Joachim!

Comment

Fascinating interviews Joachim. Thank You so much for carrying them out and releasing them.

Would I be correct in saying that Marketing certainly in their Paramount days never released a black and white film only colour releases?

Was the UK film distributor mentioned as a potential merger partner for Marketing Walton or some other company? Can it be discussed?

It is truly amazing to think what Marketing managed to do In basically less than 10 years. Can you imagine what would have been released if video had not arrived even for a couple more years. Considering that Raiders of the Lost Ark 400 digest was their last release we can only dream.

it also demonstrates that Germany to this day after video arrived is still the living heart beat for super 8 in terms of printing and releases. This is demonstrated by the activity at their film conventions and fairs and numbers of young people still involved in hobby.
                Last edited by Mike Newell; September 25, 2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post
                  It is truly amazing to think what Marketing managed to do In basically less than 10 years.
                  I think most super 8mm companies has similar lifespan around 10 years, right?. The exception is for Castle/Universal 8 and Blackhawk. I think Ken Films started in 1973 and ended in 1982. Perhaps that lifespan is already considered long due to slow pace of human lives compared to nowadays. This forum has been (almost) 20 years from 2003 but I still remember the conversation in the beginning years.

Comment

Originally posted by Winbert Hutahaean View Post

I think most super 8mm companies has similar lifespan around 10 years, right?. The exception is for Castle/Universal 8 and Blackhawk. I think Ken Films started in 1973 and ended in 1982. Perhaps that lifespan is already considered long due to slow pace of human lives compared to nowadays. This forum has been (almost) 20 years from 2003 but I still remember the conversation in the beginning years.
                    I suppose when you consider Columbia brought out 50 400 digests in 1975 everything was very intense. I don’t consider the 200ft silent era film collecting in the real sense. So really everything happened in 5 years 1975 to 1980 before video. Mind you the Derann era started mid 1980s with Raise the Titanic/ Hawk the Slayer until Dereks death in 2002 so effectively 16 years.

Comment

Derann was issuing (slightly cut down to fit in with contracts if not rental only) in standard 8 so their first era started much earlier.

Comment

I think Derann go back to early 1960s. Where they celebrating 25 years around 1987? As you say they rented and released standard 8. Psycho full feature was one of their 1st rentals Kept disappearing in the post. 😎

Comment

I have a Derann 200ft extract from Psycho, the shower sequence mainly, on standard 8. It has shots on it that aren't on the UK Blu Ray. When it was put on a DVD forum that some shots had been found that weren't on modern UK and possibly US masters and showed a video of them I thought they looked familiar. They were because I had them on that extract.

Comment

Joachim, it would be nice if you could edit together all three parts into a "master" video, so we could watch it altogether.

Comment

Mike Newell : Thank you! In Germany marketing film released a 2x400ft digest of the Malteser falcon. It was a very late release. They were in collaboration discussions with Derann, but without outcome.

@ Steve: Thank you!

@ Osi: Sorry Osi, because that would mean too many hours of work: I would have do redefine each single subtitle "by hand".

Comment

Working...
                              X