Day the Earth Stood Still Ken Digest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day the Earth Stood Still Ken Digest

Looking down an old list of Ken digests I notice The Day the Earth Stood Still at F8 Was that a 200 or 400 digest. I suspect 200 but is there a confirmation out there and what was it like?

Ken Films digests:

F1-St. Valentine's Day Massacre
    F2-Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
    F3-The Robe
    F4-The Three Musketeers
    F5-The Longest Day
    F6-The Boston Strangler
    F7-100 Rifles
    F8-The Day The Earth Stood Still
    F9-Curse Of The Fly
    F10-The French Connection
    F11-M.A.S.H.
    F12-Patton
    F12A-Patton's Speech (the opening sequence)
    F13-Viva Zapata
    F14-Sound Of Music
    F15-The Young Lions
    F16-Buffalo Bill
    F17-Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
    F18-The Poseidon Adventure
    F19-Tora! Tora! Tora!
    F20-The Desert Fox
    F21-Jesse James
    F22-The Detective
    F23-The Tall Men
    F24-One Million Years B.C.
    F25-The Bible
    F26-Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
    F27-The Sand Pebbles
    F28-Titanic
    F29-There's No Business Like Show Business
    F30-The Blue Max
    F31-Sodom and Gomorah
    F32-French Connection II
    F33-Sky Riders
    F34-My Darling Clementine
    F35-Von Ryan's Express
    F36-Desiree
    F37-Flight of the Phoenix
    F38-"The Rains of Ranchipur."
    F39-Our Man Flint
    F40-Emperor of the North
    F41-The King & I
    F42-A Farewell To Arms
    F43-Bandolero
    F44-Carousel
    F45-Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
    F46-The Seven Year Itch
    F47-Can Can
    F48-Star Wars
    F49-The Omen
    F50-Damien Omen 2
    F51-Silver Streak
    F52-Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
    F53-The Turning Point
    F54-Damnation Alley
    F55-The Seven Ups
    F56-Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
    F57-Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother
    F58-Butch and Sundance: The Early Days
    F59-Towering Inferno
    F59-1,2,3 Towering Inferno parts 1-3
    F60-Alien
    F61-The Rose
    F62-Rocky Horror Picture Show
    F63-Empire Strikes Back part 1
    F64 Star Wars part 2
    F65-Empire Strikes Back part 2

200' only, unfortunately...Shorty

Comment

Still need F43 and F5 to complete..both 400'

Comment

I realised that Joe just after I posted. Another big mistake by Ken. I notice the Planet of the Apes digests are not on the list. I had F5 and F43 both 400 in original boxes. Bandolier turns up on lists usually in original box. The Longest Day is harder to find especially in OB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CADDBCB8-DD35-4039-845D-9EA6A8AEC21C.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	66151
        Mike
        Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	D1B89452-CB64-4977-8D37-551C32CC356B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	66155 Etsy has copy of Longest Day £50 !

Click image for larger version  Name:	21DFEDD0-F37C-4049-A06C-0642DD76D08D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	108.9 KB ID:	66154 Click image for larger version  Name:	D1B89452-CB64-4977-8D37-551C32CC356B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	66153

Comment

Bandolero

Click image for larger version

Name:	087354AF-10DA-4E13-85D4-77F765E1A1CE.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	66157

Comment

I could well be wrong, (as, like everyone, I don't know everything), but wasn't "Day" released as a very rare full length feature? I seem to remember it. I might be wrong. "Film God" doesn't mean all knowing, after all.

Comment

Well, I will pay for nicely boxed 400' LONGEST DAY & BANDOLERO...if anyone's of a mind... Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                  I could well be wrong, (as, like everyone, I don't know everything), but wasn't "Day" released as a very rare full length feature? I seem to remember it. I might be wrong. "Film God" doesn't mean all knowing, after all.

A lot of titles have appeared as full features so this could have happened. Definitely about on 16mm. Do you think it was released by Ken like French Connection and Von Ryan’s Express?

A mere “Sexypert “ not a “Film God” 001

Comment

The Day The Earth Stood Still was available as a full length feature. CHC sold copies, so presumably they originated in Germany. I have not seen one but apparently they were not so great. From what I recall of the reviews at the time they looked as though some kind of video source had been used. And sound recording at that time for these type of review prints was, shall we say, amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Young View Post
                      The Day The Earth Stood Still was available as a full length feature. CHC sold copies, so presumably they originated in Germany. I have not seen one but apparently they were not so great. From what I recall of the reviews at the time they looked as though some kind of video source had been used. And sound recording at that time for these type of review prints was, shall we say, amateur.
                      Rob You are really selling it ☹️Least it will be rare!

Comment

There’s a review of it over on the bfcc website. John doesn’t mention the video look, so I possibly remember this incorrectly, although I’m sure I remember mention of it at the time.

Comment

Yes, a bit of a harsh review but that’s when negative sources were film not digital wear is to be expected. The blue colour stock tinge never bothered me like other collectors.I would say it is a rare feature title to have and fair praise to those who issued it.

Part of the Review from BFCC site

Sadly with the non-availability of black and white stock we have to endure this classic on colour stock and the unavoidable blue tint that provides. There is also the odd scratch on the master and at the original reel changes there are some missing frames. Nowt’ much to worry about there though. At least the print is sharp and that is the main criteria to consider.

The sound on this review print was not acceptable but we understand that this was addressed for the release prints. Also, Classic Home Cinema are offering the release as either sound or mute giving those collectors who are able the chance to save some money and record the film for themselves. Given the missing frames throughout I expect this to be one of the more difficult prints to re-record. You have been warned.

An excellent science fiction film. In conclusion all I can say is "Klaatu barada nikto."

Comment

Well, there it is! Too bad about the source material.

Comment

Would be nice to hear an assessment from a collector who has the print.

Comment

Working...
                              X