Super 8 projector purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super 8 projector purchase

My new Super 8 purchase arrived today. Cosmetically it looks like it never left the factory. Came with the manual, an extra bulb, accessories, and even a spare drive belt. Looks like a spare lens was included too. My only complaint is that no takeup reel was included. Very odd. I have enough spare reels to use, but this machine is pristine enough to at least include the original manufacturer’s takeup reel. I’ll politely ask the seller what’s up.
    Attached Files

Congratulations! seems to be brand new"
    I don't know if this model includes any reel as standard, anyway you have included a set of straps and an extra bulb for replacement and if the projector itself works correctly, in my case, the lack of a reel would not bother me​​

Comment

Very often machines in stock got pillaged when a customer came in seeking something they needed. For example, I have a new-old-stock Elmo ST-800 that came from a camera store that was being cleaned out after going out of business about 5 years ago. It includes some really funky items I never knew these came with (-an adapter cable from DIN speaker connection to 1/4" male, a gate brush, an earphone, a demonstration film...etc.).

The one thing missing? -the manual. (-someone needed it.)

Your take-up reel almost certainly existed but escaped: a machine like this is supposed to be delivered in plug-in and go condition. Even in a case where the 1200' reel was an aftermarket option like the ELMO ST-1200, a standard 800 foot reel came with the machine.

Comment

If I had a choice, I would take a spare bulb and belts and give up a take-up reel every time, though I am new to this. I've bought a handful of projectors and a couple of them did not come with the take-up reel either. My guess is that it is an item that is detachable from the projector and probably got left on a table somewhere the last time the projector was used. The belts, bulb and manual, while also not attached, would typically remain in the box when the projector is used, hence they were still in there. Just a theory.

Comment

What's interesting is in the long term the belts and bulbs both have shelf life problems.

Belts often turn to this tarry goo and one of the headaches of getting a "new" machine that's been at the bottom of a closet for 30 years is quite often there is a mess to clean out, and it doesn't go willingly. (If you like your shirt, DON'T get this stuff on it! No amount of laundering will make it right!)

The bulb in my new-old-stock machine lit up just fine after I cleaned the pins. A few days later I went to take it out to clean them better and the lamp itself broke loose from its reflector. I'm guessing the lamp was in there with some kind of adhesive and years sitting idle had made it brittle. A couple of thermal expansions and contractions spelled its doom!

-40 year old lamp got maybe a minute of operating life! That's a long time to wait for basically nothing.

Comment

I know what you mean about the tarry goo! I had a devil of a time cleaning the remains of the feed tire off of a B&H 456A.

Also some 8 Track pinch rollers (they are contained in the cartridge) have the same issue, particularly the Ampex/Learlet style.

The rubber literally turns into another material

Comment

The eyecup on certain Sankyo built GAF cameras had the exact same problem as the years passed, which means if you looked through the viewfinder before you knew this, you could literally get a black eye!

Comment

Fascinating - I've been collecting for decades and have owned several Elmos, but I'd NEVER heard of their "Traveller series". According to Super8wiki: "Solid, well made, also called the ST-100. Similar to ST-180, but no VU meter or balance track provisions. Swing down gate, easy film removal. One of Elmo's last regular projectors. There's also a camera for this series." If the rationale was to have a simple projector that appealed to someone travelling around, I don't understand why it included sound recording, as wouldn't this be problematic without a VU meter?​

Comment

I don't think any Eumig 700 series or early 800 series had a VU meter. maybe they just had an automatic record level system as with cheap cassette recorders, some more expensive ones also had that as an option.

Comment

After using this projector for a couple of weeks, I must say I love it! A very solid basic projector in fantastic condition. I would like to say it was “new in box”, but, judging by the appearance of the box that would be a lie. However, if the original owner told me he got it for a Christmas gift in 1980-something, ran a couple of films, and then stored it in a clean, dry closet until recently, I would absolutely believe it! It’s really THAT nice! Looks and runs “factory new”. I almost feel bad for asking the seller for a discount. And actually getting the discount. I think I got very lucky here. As an added bonus the included lens is sharper than many others I’ve seen. I think I’ve become an Elmo convert. ❤️

Fairly certain I’ll be selling my Sankyo’s soon. But just don’t try to get your hands on my beloved Bolex 18-5L. That’s a keeper! 😁🤷‍♂️
                    Last edited by Dave Bickford; November 13, 2022, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
                      I don't think any Eumig 700 series or early 800 series had a VU meter. maybe they just had an automatic record level system as with cheap cassette recorders, some more expensive ones also had that as an option.
                      I expect you're right, but as similar Elmos with VU meters were the norm by the time the Traveller appeared, I doubt whether there was a significant cost saving in dropping it from this projector. I've long been baffled by Elmo's inclination to produce so many different sound projector models, but I'll raise that in a different thread one day.

Comment

Maybe this should be a different thread, but on a side note...how easy are these to maintain? I'd like to open the back cover to assess the lubrication situation, but I also don't want to open a can of worms...(literally and figuratively)...

Comment

I'd say as long as they are in decent shape, other than some belts, cleaning and lube what they need more than anything is operating time.

I have an ST-800 that I resurrected from the dead 19 years ago and if I'd bought it brand new, it couldn't have served me better. It's outlasted two new microwaves, a new refrigerator, several new disk players a couple of new cars and several jobs too!

That much being said: film guide wear on these machines is a critical consideration: worn guides wear film.

If you find one with a good set of guides, you'll have a friend for a long time! Fortunately, machines that have less than 1200 foot reels are much less likely to have run many, many features and your odds of serviceable guides are higher.

Comment

Bumping this post for one more question. Did this projector come with a protective cover? I ask because I see two small holes on the top and a slot on the bottom so it looks like maybe these were attachment points for a cover. I could be be completely wrong (very likely) but just curious. See attached pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	C59100D2-25B6-4A18-A1E5-AEBB14352E94.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	69406 Click image for larger version

Name:	9CC92CD2-66E3-45C5-8F9B-D66CC8FB39DC.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	69407

Comment

Edit : I'm refering to the two holes close to the lens. Those two holes were originally there to set à daylight viewer, I think. You can (at least on my Elmos) set a scope lens holder specially designed to be used with those holes.
                              Last edited by Dominique De Bast; November 21, 2022, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X