So mad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So mad

My newest and favorite projector just f’ed me. Elmo Traveler Series. Loved it! Motor still runs. Suddenly no forward or reverse movement. Guessing a belt broke. Not in the mood to open it up and diagnose right now. F**k me.

Go to Optitech on Lupine rd North Andover ask for John. A backyard neighbor for you and an excellent Projector Repair man you will enjoy going into the shop. Trust me.

Comment

I'd say a belt is an excellent guess: sounds like the motor belt, as a matter of fact.

It's actually a pretty easy fix!

Super 8,ELMO ST-100,St-100E Projector Belts, 2 Belt Set, WORLD WIDE SHIPPING

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
        I'd say a belt is an excellent guess: sounds like the motor belt, as a matter of fact.

It's actually a pretty easy fix!

Super 8,ELMO ST-100,St-100E Projector Belts, 2 Belt Set, WORLD WIDE SHIPPING
        Yup...motor drive belt broke. Thanks for the link to a source of new belts! I just placed my order. I'm in a much better mood now than I was 24 hours ago.

The inside of this projector is so clean. The grease looks a bit dirty, but it's still slippery and hasn't dried out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	drive belt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.8 KB ID:	70674
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Dave Bickford; December 13, 2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Things like this are kind of like catching a cold: just a reality of life that comes sooner or later and you just deal with it knowing it could be something much worse.

I can vouch for this seller: I hope he stays at it for a very long time!

It's a nice looking machine: pretty low mileage which is a big plus this many decades down the road. It should serve you quite well!

I'm a big fan of the simpler Elmos like this. No: they can't fill up a theatrical sized screen, but the sound is generally pretty good and if you can get one or put one in decent order they can put on a nice show on a home-sized screen. They don't have Ferrari-Like capabilities, but you don't need a Ferrari to get back and forth to work every day.

Comment

Perfect projector for me. Looks like "new old stock". It even came with a "long throw" lens which I'm sure I won't need in my small apartment. LOL. I even have the weird external speaker connector.

Comment

Dave,

if you find the picture doesn't zoom as large as you would like, you should try to find the regular 12mm-25mm zoom this machine came with. They should be very common.

What you have there is commonly called an "auditorium lens": specifically for cases where a long throw would cause the picture to spill off the screen.

I use these because I show 'scope films with a 25 Foot throw and without the narrowed beam I get spillage on an 8 foot wide screen.

Comment

Dave,

if you find the picture doesn't zoom as large as you would like, you should try to find the regular 12mm-25mm zoom this machine came with. They should be very common.

What you have there is commonly called an "auditorium lens": specifically for cases where a long throw would cause the picture to spill off the screen.

I use these because I show 'scope films with a 25 Foot throw and without the narrowed beam I get spillage on an 8 foot wide screen.
                I'm using what I presume to be the stock zoom lens. Smallest picture is still a bit large for my current viewing conditions.

Comment

You can tell which one you have by the markings on the lens. I would expect an ST-100 to be built with something like "f: 1.3 F: 12-25 mm". This is a good, general purpose lens for home viewing, but there were other lenses that were optional and could be fitted in place of the standard lens. Some of the higher performers among these are quite valuable these days: they will often sell for more than entire used projectors with the stock lenses.

If you are seeing something like "f: 1.? F: 25-50 mm", that's an auditorium lens.

If I were to use mine without the external anamorphic lens (for regular projection) I'd probably need to back the machine up something like 30 feet from the screen to fill up a 4.5 foot tall screen top to bottom: out in the back yard through a window!

Comment

That weird looking speaker connection is called 2 pin din Contact Steve Osborne to get the plugs that goes from strange to normal RCA female and you'll be all set. I did try and get some recently and he was out of stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Gelmini View Post
                      That weird looking speaker connection is called 2 pin din Contact Steve Osborne to get the plugs that goes from strange to normal RCA female and you'll be all set. I did try and get some recently and he was out of stock.
                      It came with an adapter cable that goes from the male DIN to a female 1/4" jack.

Comment

That kind of thing is the mark of a machine that hasn't been used a huge amount. I have a new old stock ST-800 and it came with that too. It and yours are the only ones I know of that still have this.

When you took the back cover off, were there lock washers under the screws? Once again, the only Elmo I've ever seen that still has these is mine.

To be honest, they don't do a whole lot and people who toss them don't suffer for putting back the screws without them. This is not a combat aircraft or a piece of construction equipment that will vibrate the screws loose! (I've vowed to keep these in place when I take it apart just to preserve it as built!)

Comment

When you took the back cover off, were there lock washers under the screws?
                          Nope!

Comment

Well, the fact that you had functioning belts may explain that: there's just no way one of these could still have original belts in anything close to belt-shape!
                            My long belt looked like this! (...or should that be "these"?!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	GooBelt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.7 KB ID:	70718

I had the original lamp: it literally fell apart after about 2 minutes of use!

Comment

You can tell which one you have by the markings on the lens. I would expect an ST-100 to be built with something like "f: 1.3 F: 12-25 mm". This is a good, general purpose lens for home viewing, but there were other lenses that were optional and could be fitted in place of the standard lens. Some of the higher performers among these are quite valuable these days: they will often sell for more than entire used projectors with the stock lenses.
                              Looks like the lens in the projector and the spare lens that was included are very similar. Didn’t notice that at first. Also included was a microphone, cotton swabs, brush, and an audio adapter.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X