3D Printed Super 8mm Spool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Printed Super 8mm Spool

My 15-year-old grandson gave me a great Christmas present. It's a 3D printed 3 inch super 8 reel with a twist on cover. It's perfect for storing leader.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/home/easy-super-8-spool
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221228_181730362.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	71676 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221228_181414291.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	71677 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221228_181317836.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.8 KB ID:	71678 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221228_181335938.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	71679
    Last edited by Janice Glesser; December 28, 2022, 11:43 AM.

Very cool!

Comment

Brilliant Janice

Comment

I'm going to have him print me another one in another color for my Std 8 mm film leader.

Comment

That's awesome! Would be cool to also have this available for 7" reels, and in different colors!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post
            That's awesome! Would be cool to also have this available for 7" reels, and in different colors!
            Different colors can be achieved by using a different color filament in the printer. The link above shows it printed in red. I would imagine if you have a 3D printer design program you could adjust the dimensions to print larger reels. Of course the 3D printer platform needs to big enough to accommodate an extrusion of that size. I think my grandson said it took 17 hrs. to print the one he made for me.

Comment

That’s very interesting. What I cannot understand is using 17 hours of energy usage to produce this reel with energy costs at a premium. Having been a collector since the late 1970’s I additionally have loads of spare empty reels lying about anyway.

Janice, I realise it’s a present, I just wonder about the power that these 3d printers use. Happy New Year.

Comment

A couple of years ago I was looking for some 700m reels. While browsing through ebay a seller in Germany had some for sale.
                The photos showed these reels on a Fumeo projector, and they looked alright. I ordered a couple of them and then they showed up and to my horror they had been 3d printed.
                Being of this size 38cm in diameter they are totally useless. Even when filled with film the sides flop around and start to bow out. But more so the center hub isn't precise enough to hold on to the projectors spindle and slowly works it's way off the machine while projecting.
                Only in hindsight looking back, all of the photos were taken at a distance with no real detail.

Comment

When a 15-year-old boy takes his time and energy to make something for his Grandma... I have nothing but love, affection, and respect for his effort. I wasn't trying to promote the technology just share the thoughtful gift that was given to me. I am saddened that something so positive would evolve and take a negative direction. However I guess that's the nature of the internet these days.

Comment

Amen to that Janice!,

It sounds like your grandson was looking for a gift that would allow him to use his talent to give you something personally meaningful. It also means you've made an impression on him.

In a world full of Starbucks and Amazon.com gift certificates this is a great gift!

Comment

Janice, I did not wish to offend you. Just curious about the technology, enjoy your gift. Best wishes for 2023

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post

Different colors can be achieved by using a different color filament in the printer. The link above shows it printed in red. I would imagine if you have a 3D printer design program you could adjust the dimensions to print larger reels. Of course the 3D printer platform needs to big enough to accommodate an extrusion of that size. I think my grandson said it took 17 hrs. to print the one he made for me.
                        Thanks Janice, this is truly a very unique process, and is very interesting to say the least. I think it was very sweet of your Grandson to do this for his Grandma....

Comment

Conventional machining is a subtractive process and can result in considerable waist of the raw material. 3D printing is of course an additive process which uses exactly the amount of material for the part and no more. For that reason 3D printing is the future of manufacturing, but it has a way to go in terms of getting smooth surface finish and required material properties such as tensile strength, wear and hardness. Having said that, they are about to launch a 3D printed rocket into orbit from Cape Canaveral very soon !!

Comment

Hi Janice,
                            One item I was thinking of that your grandson could print you, is something that I have found to be very useful to have when playing around with film, and it is a 8mm film bobin. I believe there was a company that did produce them back in the day, but they are now very hard to find.
                            These were used across the entire industry on all gauges for moving and transporting film, also for removing leaders, changing trailer ect.
                            The one in the photo is a test print I did by adapting it to become a centre hub for a large reel. But the principal is still the same.
                            Steve

Comment

Interesting Steve! I have never heard of a film bobbin 😁I have no idea how to use it. However if it's something useful it looks like something my grandson could easily print for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X