Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silma Sonik Std 8 projector

Hi All,

Being confined to virtual home detention due to my age I dragged out some Std 8mm films I shot in the late 1960's the colour of which is still as good as the day it came back from the lab.
    Years ago I had been given a Silma Sonik Std 8 Sound machine and apart from admiring the rather nifty Italian engineering it has sat unused for ages. My Eumig Mk S has a problem with the drive discs slipping so I decided to try out the Silma.

After sitting there doing nothing for the best part of 5 years it immediately burst into life albeit a bit noisy and running at 24FPS which was rather useless for my stuff shot @ 16FPS.

Pulled it apart to apply some lube here and there to quieten it down which it did and started to work out why the Speed Change knob just goes round and round and does nothing.
    Behind the knob are 2 large toothed gears one of which I think should be attached to the knob and by gently moving the gears with a small screw driver I could drop the speed back to 18FPS which is its only lower speed setting.

Has anyone any experience as to HOW to get the main control knob OFF which is concentric to the Speed Change knob so I can get in behind the knob and see IF I can get these gears to once again function.
    Thinking that the Main control knob was just a push fit I have tried levering it off almost to the point of breaking the thing and there are NO obvious grub screws clamping it to the shaft...so HOW did the crafty Italians secure that knob onto the shaft???

Having internally set the speed to 18FPS I ran our collection of films shot when travelling around Australia and am quite impressed with the Silma performance. Focus is great and the best bit is the gate pressure plate is rear sprung so the splices as they go thru do NOT create that usual brief out of focus effect that most front sprung pressure plate designs tend to do.

Only slight downside is that the screen illumination is not as white as the little Eumig S is even though the lamp being a 21.5V x 150W Trufocus type which are now as rare as hens teeth is getting exactly 21.5V fed to it and the only spare lamp I have which is new looks exactly the same on screen.

Other than that a great bit of Italian Engineering almost to the point of overkill...bit like the electrics in Fiat cars...don't get me going there though !!

Lindsay

I searched the old 8MM Forum and turned up a post made by Fabrizio Mosca in 2009 that he had a Manual (in Italian naturally) and could scan and send it to the member who was looking for a copy. NOT sure if that would be the Service Manual which is what I need it would seem. I do have a copy of the Operators Manual in English which I can scan and supply any others who might need one. This manual luckily has a circuit of the amplifier which I am going to need shortly as the audio side of this Silma is dead.

Anyone know if Fabrizio is still a member of this new forum??

Lindsay

Comment

Lindsay
      Fabrizio is still listed as a member. Go to the top and select Member List (under F). You can send a PM.

Maurice

Comment

Lindsay you could fix your Mark S in ten minutes. You need to buy a aerosol of Belt Dressing. When you get it squirt some on a clean cloth and rub that on the two rubber coated drive discs in the back of your projector.
        leave it over night and it will be fine.
        keep well

Comment

Maurice,

Thanks for that info..Found him OK and PM'd him and got a swift reply..only has Operators Manual in Italian. I am OK there as I have a good English version. This dratted knob has got me tricked as no obvious grub screw but am wondering if hiding under the centre of the main control knob label with the big arrow on it is some form of fixing to the shaft. Next step is to start probing with a small screwdriver to see IF I can remove that label.

Lindsay

Comment

Lee,

I only wish that would fix the problem but its not the discs so much as the material used to make the bushings that the bottom of the motor where it pivots back and forth has collapsed. Thus instead of having reasonable pressure applied to the drive wheel up against the discs the bottom of the motor goes in the opposite direction and so very poor grip is a result. Have the motor out and been experimenting with different sizes of plastic tubing and building up the pivots diameter with heatshrink so things are a snug fit with limited success. Whatever the past material was now just crumbles away in your fingers.
            The Eumig spent over 10 years with us in the north west of WA which is extremely hot and I think the heat has made the bushings collapse and break up.

Lindsay

Comment

Hi all,

Hope it's ok to add to this thread, but I could do with some help with my newly-purchased Silma Sonik 8 too. I'm new to 8mm film so please bear with my general ignorance and lack of terminology! I'm also waiting for a user manual to arrive in the post but I'm excited to get the show on the road.

Firstly, the wheel (pointed at with a screwdriver) of the takeup spool is very stiff and isn't being rotated automatically by the belt, so I've resorted to lifting off the belt and rotating the takeup spool by hand. I've tried spraying white lithium onto its shaft it but it's not really helping. Any ideas for loosening it up?

Secondly, I've tested a couple of audio-enabled reels but I'm not getting any sound. I'm assuming the problem is either the speaker or one of the vacuum transistors, right? I've eyeballed the vacuum transistors and they look nice and orange, but maybe they should be changed given their possible age? It does take a while for the projector to warm up and play at full speed. Or maybe I should try to find a replacement speaker driver? Or maybe I can just plug in another speaker altogether - see the second photo for a view of the jack (bottom left).

Finally, it didn't come with the microphone, so assuming I can get sound working, does the mic input look standard enough to find a mic for it, and if so what's that type of jack called?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
              Daniel

Comment

Just a link to

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ounts-replaced

Shane has just gone through the replacement process.

Comment

hi all, I have a Silma Sonik 8 projector that was given, seems to be in good condition, turns on a light turns on etc. comes with a stand on some sort. just wondering about its price, i can't seem to find anything about it online. if anyone knows anything about it would be great , thanksClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC00657.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	62728Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00628.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	62727

Comment

Yasma
                    I can't help on any price, but you might care to buy a PDF file copy of its User Manual.
                    Silma Sonik 8 User manual English – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)

Comment

Just had a look at my Sonic,

Microphone socket coax[tv] cable.

Seized components penetrating oil or similar [WD] leave overnight.

Knobs--- hmm looks like the covers on top of knobs will have to come off ! have tried on mine but they must have good glue in Italy. Would be very interesting if we could find out.

Regards to all TOM

Comment

Just realised this was originally an old thread, but would be helpfull regarding knob removal how to do it.

Comment

Working...
                        X