No announcement yet.

A Very frustrating Hobby.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1982 with the video craze in full swing, those who predicted Super 8 film would still be around in 10 years were considered dreamers. I had my doubts as well. Now 40 years later, it is still available . It is simply amazing to me, how many young people want to shoot on 8mm and Super 8 film, on cameras 40-60 years old . Are they reincarnated souls from 50s and 60s wanting to recapture their film-making thrills again ?

Comment

Derann listing from 2004. (Click "Super 8" on top line for new films).
      Wayback Machine (archive.org)

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
        Derann listing from 2004. (Click "Super 8" on top line for new films).
        Wayback Machine (archive.org)
        Great listing Maurice. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post

Great listing Maurice. Thanks for posting.
          But it does make you wince when you see the second hand list prices and compare them to what you'd pay today!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post

But it does make you wince when you see the second hand list prices and compare them to what you'd pay today!

Brian it only makes you wince if it’s something you really want. When you see screen shots of pure pink you do wonder did they store their films beside a furnace or in a solarium.

I streamlined over a period of 10 years and got good prices via eBay but don’t miss trips to the post office 🏤 High prices will encourage sellers to bring them out and without being diplomatic collectors are being culled daily . Big collection of a deceased collector is now on eBay

Gone are the days when widows were turned over by certain dealers Derann being one of them .

Someday soon prices will fall and people will get their fingers badly burnt so don’t pay if you don’t really want it. Like speculating in fools gold.

Comment

100% agree Mike, If i pay 300 I get upset, but this is very very rare, but like many collectors, I wont buy much these days and I will thin out my collection. I just dont see the point of keeping hundreds or thousands of films that rarely get projected.
              The shinny discs and the lower prices of projecting them are fast becoming attractive for me, once I thin out the cine I run a smaller collection side by side of the digital. It's great to see collectors getting good money for their movies, but at some point the prices will plummet. Even when they do, do you really want to fill your rooms with reels of heavy films?
              On the other hand, I do understand those who are 100% cine and wont care what happens to their movies once they pass away. I did read once that someone said "i dont care what happens to my stuff when I'm gone, they can burn it, throw it on the dump, whatever". But I for one dont wish to burden anyone with that task.
              BUT, for now, I continue to love my cine films

Comment

I have been in the 'hobby' since I was 12 in 1974, then I had no money, so basic sound projector and a handful of films. Now I have a garage full of super 8, 16mm and 35mm features, shorts and digests. Loads of projectors, 7 Elmo GS1200's, 3 708 Stereos, 10 Elf 16MM , AND A PORTABLE 35MM PROJECTOR. why, because I consider our home asa form of archiving, we are saving these rare prints (never produced in the millions like DVDs etc) We are maintaining these old machines `(probably newest being at least 40 years old) No film or projector to me can ever be just thrown away, at some point someone loved the film, someone loved the projector. We are the guardians of this old legacy media, and yes I happily buy faded /red prints. Dont see this hobby as about money, those of us in the know know what baseline prices are films and projectors, so any one chancing a higher price will not get a sale, but something afforded at a great price for a HTF title may get a surprise (ie Phantasm on 16mm at ebay, over £2000, someone wants it , not me, tho I did get The Amityville Horror on 16mm for just £130) The hobby is about collecting and archiving, if money is an issue, well find another hobby.

Comment

Mark, each to their own, I am a collector of cine film and money isn't an issue, I'm just of the mind that I for one wont pay such high money for a movie, I guess it's a case of, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As for faded and scratched prints, I'm with Graham on this, I think once they get to a single deep red or pink colour they are only fit for the bin, trying to show these to an audience makes a mockery of the hobby, (only in my view). For those who are happy to view these, then that is fair enough, point and counter point.

BTW Mark, did i read on another thread that you were selling all your fims and equipment because you were moving to Spain some time ago, I think Classic bought a load of your items from you, red stuff and old projector's? It would be interesting to see what they would fetch today on fleabay.

Comment

Talking about faded film I remember a film convention here I went to, out of the raffle I won a 16mm print. I went up to the stage to receive it, as I walked back, a friend of mine was laughing, that's my old faded print I gave away years ago its being doing the rounds. I quickly turned around, went back to the stage and asked if my prize could be changed for a box of chocolates, on the way back I gave some to my laughing friend, here have one

I am all for preserving important historical and folks home movies, but the usual run of the mill commercial stuff like the many U8, Ken and so on, that have gone totally red, why bother? except for the box art for old times sake they are junk after all you cant show them to anyone else, if you did they would think you are nuts

The point above of leaving all this stuff to others to sort out when you go to that great projection box in the sky is a very valid point, your family or relations are not going to thank you on your departure for leaving it to them to deal with.

Comment

One of the biggest problems in the hobby is the fact that a minority of collectors are quite content to accept anything on cine tramline scratched films , soft focus , pink / red prints or films spliced together with lumpy glue or sellotape . Rather than having the backbone to send it back to whoever/ wherever they bought it from they quietly put in the corner then move it on to another unsuspecting collector.

Derann’s white box specials are another future Pandora box as to what their faults are but I sure striping is falling off somewhere.

As for preserving these for posterity. Give it a rest they are proper archives manned with professionals using adult gauges for that purpose. Look at some of the specials on Blu ray that have 8mm digest extras and they make you want to cry.

Its a hobby not a religion 😇 👿

Comment

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Comment

Yes unless you have the box with a comment as to what the fault is White Box Specials" are a minefield, from a bit stripe showing on one edge of the picture or some scenes graded badly to prints with so many bubbles from a faulty wet gate making it almost unwatchable, too dark to project without a 200w lamp or a B&W print with strong colour tints.

Comment

Its going crazy, I am selling a new full length star was print on the forum priced at what I paid for it, its got excellent stereo sound that I know is better than the Derann print yet I have not had a sniff, on eBay a Derann print has just sold for £2351? Nearly double what I am selling for.

Comment

Mike, forgot to say that the UK prints of Laurel and Hardy features tended to be better than the stateside companies, Blackhawk included,

Comment

Star wars is a weird one because it either goes like this one did on ebay, or, in some cases it goes for well under a thousand. I think I saw one back along go for around £700. Still a good price but it must be disappointing if you do see one fly over two grand.
                                I think many of the very high priced feature's on ebay now are simply because there's been a big sudden surge of listings with some very rare sought after titles. It's just luck of the draw as to who is looking in.

Comment

Working...
                                X