Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you ever thought of leaving the hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
    I did leave the hobby for about five years. When I moved to France in my 30's I sold off my entire collection of 8mm and 16mm prints. But just one visit to a local flea market here in France and a Laurel and Hardy film "Helpmates" started the film and projector buying all over again with a passion! But I never returned to 16mm again and stay focused on 8mm exclusively these days, but I must admit that 9,5mm is looking interesting now since there is ​​​​​​so much of that available here.
    Spot on answer Joseph. Film collecting all formats is a hobby not a religion. It’s part of your life to enjoy but there is so much more to life.

Mike

Comment

I half-left the hobby. I sold the Derann features I bought in the 90s but am keeping the older stuff I bought when I was a kid. I also am holding onto a sterling ST HD 1200 but I'm gonna sell the GS-800 stereo I don't need anymore. And what should I do with the ST 1200 D M/O and ST-600?

Comment

I'll be dead B4 I leave the hobby.

Comment

I love Super8., but actually watch it alone, cause my family doesn't understand it.
          i sell pro-sumer 4K and 3D Home Cinema projectors and indeed,... it looks sooooo much better.
          the Sony native 4K and specially the JVC 8K 3D projectors give better picture than what you see in most cinema's.
          Still,... I love Super8 projection, as if I'm going back in time and relive some good old times.

I do not have new S8 films, but really like the old ones, like Tarzan or Battlestar Galactica, or L&H to be projected with that old technology, rather than watch it on YouTube with the new video projectors.
          So, from what I have sold when I was 16, so I could buy an old VCR, I now have bought back again.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Matthieu van der Sluis; July 08, 2023, 06:03 AM.

Comment

This hobby gets deep into your bones and isn't easy to walk away from! You can have impressive quality presentations on screen with a lot less complication and storage issues, but there is a sense of satisfaction from projecting real film you lose when you go that way. It's a little like the difference between fishing and buying fish, or building furniture and buying furniture. Even if the end results stack up, it's the process that makes the difference.

I project digital video all the time combined with film prints: it's a wonderful supplement, but not a substitute.

Always remember: 150+ years into the era of motorized navigation, people still sail boats! The same rule goes for riding horses and even learning to play a musical instrument when any tune you want is no further away than your cellphone: it's more than the destination, it's the journey.

A few years ago, a former film collector showed up at CineSea: he'd gone full video, yet missed hanging out with his old friends.
            Wouldn't you know it? -he left for home on Sunday with a 16mm machine and a couple of prints!

Comment

Well said Steve! Looking at Matthieu's photo and the four high end digital projectors, which no doubt produce a stunning picture on the screen, I have to say ( with all due respect to Matthieu) that they look about as interesting as four loaf's of bread! Just no interest level there at all in comparison with film projectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
                Well said Steve! Looking at Matthieu's photo and the four high end digital projectors, which no doubt produce a stunning picture on the screen, I have to say ( with all due respect to Matthieu) that they look about as interesting as four loaf's of bread! Just no interest level there at all in comparison with film projectors.
                Hahaha, there's a Super8 lover in heart and soal.

Comment

Working...
                X