Longevity of Black and White Prints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longevity of Black and White Prints

Of course we all know of the color fade problem associated with many color print stocks, but are there ageing issues associated with black and white prints? I ask this because I have noticed that some of my prints are trending to a sepia like look, even though they are not printed on color stock. Its like the white highlights are no longer white but now yellowish or brownish. Is the acetate film base degrading or what?
    Anybody else seen this?

I read that black and white stock could last at least 300 years and colour ones (probably Kodachrome quality) could last at least 50 years. That must be in ideal storage conditions, so for amateurs collectons, don't expect too much to be able to watch your black and white films when you're 250 or 300 .

Comment

Well, Kodachrome is long past the 50 years of existence mark and still looking brilliant, better than most other home movie stocks. Interesting about the black and white films, though. I had only heard and seen the brownish or copper like "beads" on decomposing black and white stock.

Comment

Of course it could be my eyes!

Comment

I have many B&W prints from various distributors that are upwards of 50 years old. They look great!

Comment

My B/W prints from Blackhawk still look good, but there are other prints which are yellowing as you have noted.

But there are other deteriote of B/W prints which I found i.e small black spots (kind like pimples), picture gone from the cells and of course, vinegar syndrome.

Comment

As others have said if thefilms were run through a part exhaused fixed bath the slight residual silver halide might turn a sepia colour, mostly seen in light greys and white areas.

Comment

The only deterioration of black and white film I have ever had was a short film I made on 9.5 film in the late 70s and this was due to poor processing. Never had any problems with printed films except with a few printed during the war which were printed on newsreel stock which became r a ther brittle. I am talking about 9.5 Pathescope prints. Even the little notched films from the 1920s are fine. I think so much depends on how they are stored and purch asking used prints can be a bit of a lottery. Ken Finch😏

Comment

Working...
                X