Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to say that film will be got VS in extreme heat storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to say that film will be got VS in extreme heat storage?

Hi all,

Based on may posts in this this forum, it came to my mind that VS would not effect polyester film base.

However, this afternoon I was shocked to find tens of 8mm films in a local flea market here all were stick together even some reels were destroyed by the VS. Films were from various releases such as Walton, Ken, MGM, Castle, Columbia, etc, B/W and Color, Sound and Silent, Acetate and Polyester film base. I believe they were kept in the attic, in this hot (ranging between 28-35 Celsius degree and above 90% humidity all year around) country.

So, can I say that even polyester film base also got VS or this is not VS but film warping do to this extreme heat?

cheers,
    winbert

Heat will accelerate VS. Always keep your films in a cool place. I think it is nearly impossible for polyestar to get VS. Maybe the smell from the infected acetate stuck to the polyestar film. Extreme heat will warp any film.

Comment

I got a polyester print used from Derann one time that reeked of vinegar!
      -it really wasn't the print, but the card boxes it came in. Once they aired out a while everything was fine.

I'm guessing this one was in a pretty stinky room before Derann picked it up.

Comment

Of course heat ahnd high humidity can cause the emulsion to get soft and stick the film together without VS being present.

Comment

Working...
        X