Private amateur films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private amateur films

I'm wondering if any of you are amateur film collectors? Perhaps you have your own amateur films from the family archive?

If you mean "found footage" home movies, then yeah...That's ALL I really care about. I don't have any commercial release Super 8 prints except for a pretty decent Disney Short from Sorcerer and the Stone. So my Super 8/8mm collection is either film footage that I shot between 1990 and 2005 or "found" footage home movies from 60s thru 80s. The Kodachrome colors have not faded a bit.

Comment

Yes, I have quite a large number of home made films. Mainly of family events and holidays etc. All on 9.5mm. Shot my first footage while still at school in 1949 and have also made some fictional films over the years using family members. Have also been an active member of Amateur Film Making Clubs from about the same time. I have transferred all my cine films onto dvd for the family archives with copies for children and grandchildren. I moved to using video in 1993 and have done the same with those.

Comment

Not too many, but I shot them all in scope!

Comment

All my current home movies have been shot on Kodak's latest Ektachrome Super 8 color reversal. It's pure magic to shoot on Super 8, and then gather my family around the projector for some old fashion fun! I have also shot Standard 8 home movies. I've been shooting on film since the Summer of 2005. I have also found other people's home movies over the years. I only have a few, but the most interesting one I have was shot on Standard 8 in the Summer of 1958. It's a family gathered for a kids birthday party. The Kodachrome is of course wonderful, as is the cool 50's outfits, and mid century patio furniture.

Comment

In my collection there are films from family archives in Austria, Germany and France from 1956-1982. They have many funny stories and scenes. Mostly vacations, holidays and entertainment. What are the subjects of your films?

Comment

I found at our local thrift store, (when we used to live in Idaho), 6 400ft reels of home/amateur films, and while some were of livestock and such, about half of them was of a worldwide trip, starting in London England and ending in Rome. I think these were filmed in 1968, as they filmed the side of the Beatles "Apple" store, but the films of Rome really looked good. The fellow took the time to use a tripod, either that, or he just had an incredibly steady arm, as there is little "jiggle" at all, and very sharp. Glorious Kodachrome!

Comment

I have hundreds of reels all bought from house clearings, flea markets, yard sales etcetera.
                I don't care for commercially released stuff at all.
                Since I'm in Europe, most films are shot there too but there's also holiday material from people visiting the US, Canada, Asia and other places.

Comment

Do your amateur films have a sound track? What is usually written there? Have you seen the original sound from a movie camera?

Comment

Yes, I sometimes get films with sound. It's usually the audio that goes with the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bakker View Post
                      I have hundreds of reels all bought from house clearings, flea markets, yard sales etcetera.
                      I don't care for commercially released stuff at all.
                      Since I'm in Europe, most films are shot there too but there's also holiday material from people visiting the US, Canada, Asia and other places.
                      Were there any interesting unusual situations during vacations, seaside holidays or house parties and other family chronicles in your films?

Comment

So far, not really. Except for the obvious "did you see how drunk [family member] was at the wedding party?"
                        But I still have several hundreds of reels to dig through so who knows. Perhaps one day I'll run into some material that can solve a 1970's murder case 😉

Comment

Originally posted by John Bakker View Post
                          So far, not really. Except for the obvious "did you see how drunk [family member] was at the wedding party?"
                          But I still have several hundreds of reels to dig through so who knows. Perhaps one day I'll run into some material that can solve a 1970's murder case 😉
                          Did you buy movies on ebay?
                          Do you scan your films digitally?​

Comment

Fortunately I started with 9.5mm filming when I was 11 yrs old , 30ft cassettes were 11/6p. I then progressed to St 8 and filmed family events , hols etc until late 70s. Then started using video cameras . As you would expect the Kodachrome footage is still outstanding and is now archived on dvd. I still love projecting these films and can turn back the clock watching the good old days starring friends and relatives now long gone.
                            John

Comment

John

You are absolutely right in what you say about projecting your old home movies on a film projector, its the only way to watch them, that can bring those memories back to life. Although a transfer to digital is nice, it will never be the same to watching them again in a dark room using a film projector.

Comment

Working...
                              X