Yashica Model PE regular 8mm film editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yashica Model PE regular 8mm film editor

Does anyone in the forum own or have experience with a Yashica PE regular 8 film editor? Are the arms that hold the film reels stored inside the body of the editor? The lid to the editor is hinged but photos of the editor do not show the arms for the supply and take up reels, so I am guessing if they are not lost they might be stored inside the case. A photo of the arms attached and how they are stored inside the case would be helpful. Thanks.

Hi Will and welcome to the forum! Can you post a picture of the viewer?

Comment

Hi Janice, here are some photos. I can't tell how or where the arms to hold and rotate the film reels would attach. Maybe they are stored inside the housing? I don't have physical access to this, just photos. Thanks for your help Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	93482 Click image for larger version

Name:	left side.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	93483 Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	93484 Click image for larger version

Name:	right side.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	93485

Comment

I'm not familiar with that editor, but my guess is that it is to be placed between 2 rewinds. The rewinds are usually attached to a board and the editor sets in-between. My 16mm editors are like that and 8mm can be done the same way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Artboard-162.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.9 KB ID:	93518

Click image for larger version  Name:	16mm_Rewinds_Editor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	93519

Comment

That is a nifty looking editor. What make is it? I can't tell from the photo what is the film path? I suppose the Yashica PE was similar to your setup and the arms to hold the reels are missing. I have acquired several 8 or dual 8 editors that are all metal and so that's why I am wondering how the Yashica operated. There are newer models of the Yashica that include the arms so I may look for one of those. I know I could stop with one good/great editor, but where is the fun in that. Thanks for your help and the photos. Maybe someone else has seen one the Yashica PE and knows the details. Happy 2024.

Comment

Will, the viewer-editor I pictured above is a 16mm Bell and Howell Filmosound. There is also an 8mm model. The film is just inserted across the top film path and held down by the top housing when closed. The original bulb is no longer produced, however I have replaced the bulb with a more modern halogen lamp using an adapter. This type of editor works great for 16mm, but is not as practical for 8mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240101_195525723.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	93772 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240101_201556864.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	93773

​​​

The photo below is the type of editor I would recommend. Many are both Standard 8mm and super 8 and take up a much smaller footprint.

Name:	PXL_20240101_202056006~2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	93774

Comment

Thanks for the additional photos. I like the W.C. Fields scene in your editor. The all-metal heavy editors with a carry case are my favorite. The textured paint finish they used in the past is really neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Will White View Post
                The textured paint finish they used in the past is really neat.
                it's the same finish as my early 50s Bell and Howell Filmosound 185. Very miltary-looking.

Comment

Yeah, it seems a textured finish was very common on film & slide projectors, theatre lighting, other theatre equipment and editors before plastic took over.

Comment

Noticed the large hinge on the rear, and a mysterious knob on the top front. Is it possible that both reel arms are loose parts packed INSIDE the body, that the user needed to assemble them when setting up?

Comment

I asked the owner of the editor to open it up but they said they could not get it open. I suspect that the reel arms could be stored inside, but then they would likely be mounted like the editor that Janice has, attached to a board. Later models of Yashica editors included folding reel arms attached to the exterior. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Like this? .......... maybe?

Name:	7i-Jts9b2-LP4w-E8mj-GFqftw-458892980.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	93849

Comment

Woo hoo. That's the ticket. Do the arms store inside? Is the knob on top of the lid turned (or pushed or pulled and turned) to allow the lid to open? How well does it work? Many Thanks for the photo. If not too much trouble can you provide a photo with the arms inside the case?

Comment

Greetings Will!

Thank You for replying.

I first want to say that I do not own a Yashica PE regular 8 film editor. The
                            picture I posted above was one I found on the net, and it showed the film
                            arms attached to the editor. Other than that pic, I have no clue as to how
                            the arms are stored, or how the unit works. Surprisingly, I was never aware
                            that this reg 8mm editor existed. What era of film making did it come from? It
                            must be before the Super 8 revolution. I didn't know that Yashica even made
                            film editors.

After reading your reply, I started thinking about the arms and how are they
                            where attached and stored. The picture shows no winding cranks on the 2 arms,
                            how was the film moved through the film gate?

So I started looking around last night and I found a couple of possible answers.

The 1st answer is in an Ad in the March/April 1961 issue of "Better Movie
                            Making" magazine (long out of business).... way in the back of the issue....
                            I think this magazine Ad will answer some of your questions...

'foldaway arms'.... so there you go, the arms swing out and then back in when
                            finished, just open the top half (hood) of the editor. Is it the 'hood' that holds
                            the arms in place or something else inside?

This pic shows the editor with the factory supplied plastic protection cover
                            in place..... On the top you can see the release lever for the hood.

With the hood opened, you can see how the latch or lock works......

This next pic shows the arms in place, but there's no winding cranks, how do
                            you move the film through the editor? As you can see, it's the hand crank on
                            the right side shown in the ad or your pics above. How fast does that go? Any
                            speed or gearing changes? It could take a long time to rewind a 400ft roll of film.

I wonder if they used a spring belt in the arms or a rubber belt to turn the
                            spindles?????

One last item I found, there's a guy selling an instruction manual for this
                            unit online. He shows 5 pages in his ad, but I think there may be more pages, some
                            pages may be missing. Contact him and ask him before spending $6.

https://edsgoodstuff.com/edscart/ind...oducts_id=1170

To me,
                            it seems there should be more info there, like maintenance and what bulb to
                            be used, maybe the standard 10w 6v editing bulb...

Pic of the inside cover (instruction book) showing the
                            locations of various parts. You can't enlarge the pic on a computer, not enough
                            detail in the original. I had to use a magnifying glass to read it.

Amazing thing is, this is all metal, no plastic parts. I like that type of paint finish also.
                            Are you thinking of buying one? Remember, this unit is from 1961! You'll most likely have to do some
                            cleaning and lubing. The mirrors get hazy effecting the contrast and focus. This, in my
                            opinion is from
                            a 'atmosphere' deposit on them. Clean carefully as the mirrors are front surface mirrors and can scratch easily.

This Model PE is one of a kind. If you see models PE-RS, PE-Dual etc., they are
                            all newer designs.

Charlie

Comment

Charlie,
                              Thanks for the research and additional photos. The term "folding arms" is confusing as I look at the way the arms are attached. I'm afraid until I can see a photo (or video) of where the arms fold into, the operation of this editor is a mystery. I see the crank on the side to turn the reels, so there must be a drive system inside the arms and through the interior of the case to allow the one crank to turn both reels to move the film in both directions. I work on all kinds of complicated mechanical equipment but with the current information and photos this is a most unusual editor and I cannot tell how the arms can fold, especially with reel attachments sticking out at 90 degrees at the top of the arms as all editors do. So far this editor reminds me a Chinese puzzle box. I've seen at least 4 other models of Yashica editors and they use arms that are not hidden, but tuck out of the way to take up less space or put in a carry case.
                              The PE ones I have seen advertised do not show the arms at all, so if they are folded someplace the owner does not know how to get them in place. I need to get my paws on one and give it a good look-see and take it on a shake-down cruise. 😉

Comment

Working...
                              X