New ULTRA 8 prints available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chip Gelmini View Post
    I'll probably do this. But man those prices. I know it's NOT 1980. But just thinking for less than $260.00 you could get a Laurel and Hardy feature from Jeff Aikman! I know because I did. SEVERAL TIMES!
    I ran some prices through an online inflation calculator (https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm). I remember buying a 400ft Super 8 color sound film in 1981 for about $75. As of December 2023, that would be equivalent to $264 in today's dollars. So, relative to 42 years ago, the prices aren't too bad.

Comment

That can't be right. For the given timeframe that you mentioned I don't ever remember seeing a 400 foot digest print for more than $49.95. Main Street camera shops, cross country, camera shop chains and store like Kmart. Camera departments.

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Gelmini View Post
        That can't be right. For the given timeframe that you mentioned I don't ever remember seeing a 400 foot digest print for more than $49.95. Main Street camera shops, cross country, camera shop chains and store like Kmart. Camera departments.
        I could be wrong, but that number is in my head for some reason. I bought directly from the Universal 8 catalog. Maybe I bought two films that day. Sooooo long ago.

Edit: Indeed, I think I did buy two films that day. 400ft "Earthquake" and 200ft Abbot and Costello "Who's On First".

Comment

Hi!

At the end of the 1970s, a 120m reel S8 color sound from marketing or ufa was usually 145-150DM. Some companies like Revuefilm have been cheaper…
          Anyway: according to the different inflation calculators, 150DM in 1979 equates to 208-210€ in 2024.

(In 1980, the prices started to drop due to video.)

Comment

In 1976 (January 10, 1976 to be exact), I purchased the Ken Films 400' digest of The Poseidon Adventure for $44.95. I kept the receipt in the box! The inflation calculator tells me that would come to over $240. That's not including the sales tax which would add another $19.20 in today's adjusted rate.

Ultra 8's prices are in line with that.

Comment

I paid £20 for the Jaws 200ft super 8mm in 1975.
              with inflation it would cost £210 so I think these new prints are good value. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7043.png
Views:	331
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	95902

Comment

They had the JAWS digest already out in 1975? I didn't realize that they got it out there so quick!

Comment

My bad, I think it came out 1979 on super 8.

Comment

There's more going on than just inflation effecting the pricing of new prints, there is also a huge difference in sales volume. Back 50 years ago a film seller had every hope of selling thousands of prints: basically set the machines up Monday morning and let them run every day: There are orders waiting to be filled! An 8mm print back then was often a mass market product.

Today the sales volume is so much less that every print has to carry a lot more production costs, since there are so fewer prints to divide it among. Somebody spends an hour setting up a machine or a negative costs so and so much to make, those are fixed costs divided among however many prints get done. Also the sales volume of the materials used is way down so their own unit costs are up. Often things that were bought wholesale back then are retail now. If the number of prints isn't enough to consume a perishable chemical, there is more waste too.

-at that rate, what we pay for a new print is almost cheap! If the sellers wanted to make real profits for their trouble, they would cost multiples what they actually do.

Comment

Originally posted by Joerg Polzfusz View Post
                      Hi!

At the end of the 1970s, a 120m reel S8 color sound from marketing or ufa was usually 145-150DM. Some companies like Revuefilm have been cheaper…
                      Anyway: according to the different inflation calculators, 150DM in 1979 equates to 208-210€ in 2024.

(In 1980, the prices started to drop due to video.)
                      I think a comparison to Derann’s new film prices would be more relevant . The prices in the 1970s when package movies were 1st issued were at a premium. Remember the catalogue prices. That said much impressed with this new seller. Products listed, how they are made and same prices for all customers up front. Efficient and Professional.

Comment

To compare more recent prices:

In 2005, a copy from S8-negative to S8-printstock was 1,20€ per meter at Andec - but without 16% VAT:
                        https://web.archive.org/web/20050208...neg_zu_pos.htm

Now, for the cheapest method, it‘s 2,40€ per meter - still without VAT that got increased by the government to 19% in the meantime:
                        https://www.andecfilm.de/super-8-8mm...8-positiv.html

(Yes, I know that ultra8 is using 16mm negatives as source. But this perfectly shows how some prices went up at a much higher rate than the average inflation rate in Germany. If my wages had also doubled since 2005, I would be very, very happy.)
                        Last edited by Joerg Polzfusz; February 10, 2024, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I understand all the points of views expressed in the thread. Please bear in mind that we use either a 35mm print or a Cinema DCP to create a new 16mm negative. It is not viable to avoid the creation of a 16mm negative if you want truly professional/ high quality results. Just is not possible. From that negative we get an answer print (16mm positive) to give our approval. Once we do so, lab uses the 16mm negative to create Super 8 reduction prints. In order to do that, the lab uses professional print stock (Kodak 3383) that is no available in Super 8 so it must be custom cut and reperforated. The Super 8 prints are then Stereo stripped (not laminated mono) and recorded and, finally, individually checked and packaged. You should consider not only inflation when comparing the present price with Super 8 golden era ones (40 years ago), but the number of prints created then for a given title (we’re talking of thousands) instead of the custom printing we’re doing now because these are true collectors items with low demand.

Best,

Ruben
                          Ultra 8

Comment

This is a very professional website with what promises to be a top notch product. To compare prices from years ago to the new releases is pointless. That was 40 years ago and to keep harping back to those days does a disservice to Rubén’s products. If you want new releases those are the prices that prevail.

This looks the most professional recent production of new prints and is to be highly commended.

Comment

I admire the dedication of members, and I understand the costs involved but I agree with Chip, I could never justify paying these sort of prices when you can get complete features from places like Classic Home Cinema for a fraction of the cost.
                              Good luck, though.

Comment

Thank you, Allan. The good thing about this is that you have options and the decision is up to you or any potential customer.

Regards

Ruben
                                Ultra 8
                                Last edited by Ruben Torrejon; February 12, 2024, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X