Alien, The final confrontation 200ft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien, The final confrontation 200ft

So I finally received my print of Alien, The final Confrontation from Dorun films. The reel starts with the fox logo followed by the Alien title with directed by Ridley Scott. What follows is the final 11 minutes of the film with Ripley and the alien in the shuttle which was never included in the Ken films version which ended after the Nostromo exploded. The colour, sharpness and sound are excellent but sadly it has lab marks running throughout it which is a real pity. I know it takes a lot of effort to create these new releases and I commend those who put the time in to make them but they are not cheap and surely they must be checked before going out. I have a few Dorun releases which have been excellent so I don't know how this one got through. I have attached some screen shots but they don't do it justice.
    Attached Files

The lab marks
    Attached Files

Comment

Curious. I have heard of lab marks from others concerning this specific release. It's not like previous lab marks from Andec. I wonder if it was on the negative,instead of the optical printer? Unfortunate.

Comment

Dang green lab marks!!! Not good. Sounds like an interesting release.

Comment

Very expensive for this sort of issue, they should be checked before posting. Dorun Films should replace it asap!

Comment

Dorun would only offer a refund.

Comment

I received my print of Alien, The final confrontation 200ft and the same TINY labs marks were there. BUT so minuscule and they are not running through the whole reel but are on single frames.
              I had a group of friends who didn't even notice. I only saw them because I was looking for them.
              Does anyone remember the quality prints we were getting from Ken films?
              I find this silly and yes I know these are expensive but it's film not digital.
              NO refund required on my end. I'm just grateful for this beautiful release.

Comment

If the scratches are on the same frames on multiple prints, it's a negative issue, if they are in assorted other places, it's an optical printer issue.

Comment

Phillip

How long ""time wise" do those marks show up when screening it? they look distracting to me

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	BOX 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.4 KB ID:	102043 Click image for larger version  Name:	BOX 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	102042

This is a stunning release. Double sided box art is great. The titles btw are only short to allow for more action. The main part of the film starts when Ripley takes Jones the cat out of the case he was in. Excellent sharpness and sound on this reel. The whole extract is so atmospheric you feel you are in the shuttle with Ripley. There is also a nice amount of end credits. A word of warning though that there is quite a bit of strobing in this extract for those who may be sensitive to it. I don't see any long green marks on my print and I would notice them if they were there as I'm picky. There was one small tiny flek when I looked back at video I took but hardly noticeable and only on one frame. A great release.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.6 KB ID:	102038 Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.2 KB ID:	102033 Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.4 KB ID:	102035 Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	102034 Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.9 KB ID:	102037 Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	102036 Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	102041 Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.4 KB ID:	102040 Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	102039

AND THERE'S MORE
                    Currently in production there is a new 400ft reel similar to the old Ken release but a few minutes longer but missing the final scene. The idea is that this new 200ft will splice strait on the end to make an excellent 600ft digest. Clever. Obviously you will need to chop off the Fox logo and title. Time to sell those old faded digests and enjoy this stunning new print.
                    Last edited by Graham Sinden; June 05, 2024, 06:25 PM.

Comment

In any given audience there is a broad difference when it comes to visual acuity. Some will notice a fleck, others won't. Some will be bothered, others not at all. I'm glad there's no issue with Phillip C. getting a refund, however Andec needs to examine what's happened here. Could we please hear from others who have a print?

Comment

Firstly, I did not accept the refund as Dorun said there would be no more prints made so I have had to keep it as I too am buying the 400ft to tag this onto. The flecks happen every 25 frames or there abouts, as this is a dark scene with black crop bars top and bottom it is very noticeable. As for Robert thinking it's silly of me to complain about spending £160 on a print that is problematic I find condescending. You must have money to burn my friend.

Comment

It's worth remembering this is not a spinning disc perhaps, all the work and expense is given for love of 8.
                          It all ends in a few weeks after over 2 years free effort as I'll be taking a bigger role caring for my wife God bless her.

Comment

I happen to have the full scope feature of Alien on Super 8, and I can tell you for a fact that the original feature is nowhere near as bluish as the color is on this digest. I wonder if the digest was taken from a rerelease of the feature, which was more bluish overall, as that was the favored "spectrum", color wise, throughout the industry. Please note: this opinion is no demeaning of Dorun or Andec, (unless Andec's color processing just leans towards the bluish).

Comment

It may be due to all Kodak colour film having a blue bias, it just shows up more when the film is used for printing.

Comment

Working...
                              X