No announcement yet.

Alien, The final confrontation 200ft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as i have always preferred to watch movies on actual film as opposed to video and digital sources there is absolutely no way i would accept those lab marks on a new copy no matter how much i paid for it . In fact i would not even purchase a used second hand print with those green lab marks on it regardless of the title at any price . I would be asking for a full refund including postage costs ! I can only guess at what past UK 8mm magazine reviewers such Keith Wilton , Bill Davison , Gerald McKee and even Denis Gifford would have to say regarding those appalling lab faults . Never mind the purchase price .

Comment

I agree David

I do hope that Phillip gets another print free from those marks, but it does not sound like that might happen, to be honest I think also its best that Scope films be released in Scope, not altered to fit the small Super 8 frame. Academy, ratio or 1:66,1:85 you can get just away with, but not 2:35:1 .

Anyway I do hope Phillip can get a replacement print, if not and in the end its up to Philip, I would want my money back, 160 pound is really a lot of money for just 11 minutes, and just buy what some here call the "spinning disc" instead , after all that's most likely where the image of this release first originated from.

Comment

Yes, Graham, this is exactly my thought: „Scope films should be released in Scope“.

Comment

Graham, in regards to your one statement, while I agree that scope should remain scope, the image quality these days to the super 8 frame is so sharp that even blown up to quite a size, it is remarkable, take the 600ft JAWS, for instance.

Comment

Glad to hear that Osi, but one question I must ask though, as well as the black bars top and bottom was the JAWS image cropped or altered in any way at the sides to make it fit?. The worst example I have of a Scope film printed within a Super8 frame, is the Marketing release of "Prophecy" its like looking through a letter box, blowing it up in that case just looked worse. I do like Scope films, but will always choose a Scope printed image along with an Anamorphic lens to watch it. With such a high cost of Super8 film stock these days, it seems such a waste of good film not to get the benefit of printing a Scope image onto it, anyway hope things can still get resolved between Phillip and Dorum

Comment

I understand your point Graham, but I am a big fan of these Letterbox prints on Super 8 as they are super sharp and give you the best of both worlds. I always find Scope on Super 8 pushes the image on that tiny frame that all of the scope films I see lose sharpness compared to not using an anamphoric lens. You get the wow factor with scope on Super 8 and you will see most or all of the full image but the Letterbox prints are stunning on Super 8 and can be zoomed up big. I am quite happy to have either scope or Letterbox however it comes as I can see the advantages of both.

Graham S

Comment

Let's not forget that Lee has offered Philip a refund, although I'm assuming that would mean returning the print as Phillip seems reluctant to accept?

Also, I think we should consider that it may not be the lab at fault, given the various stages the print goes through.

It would be interesting to hear from Phillip on this as he can examine the print and let us know if these are "in built" faults or physical print damage.

I mean, if it is the lab, I'm still of the opinion that they should bloomin' well re-print it at their own cost.

Comment

I don't blame you, Graham. I prefer scope super 8, if available.😃

Comment

I think the time to have a reprint has passed, if the fault had been flagged with the lab before they went for striping and sound recording I think I may have had a chance but this did not happen. The green flecks are printed and not film damage. I have kept the print as there are no more.

Comment

I am thrilled to have received this 200 ft version last week- I absolutely love it and cannot wait to obtain the upcoming 400 to extend this recent extract.
                      thanks to all that made this available- seeing this on the big 8ft screen was nothing short of amazing

Comment

Glad Tony is happy. Cannot help but feel for Phillip though who has clearly been sold a doozy.

Comment

Looks like some got a good print, can’t help feeling totally let down. No apology, no offer of a discount. All I’ve had is the explanation they do it for free so I should not complain while some others on the forum feel I should just be grateful.

Comment

Tony, could you let us know if your print has the same markings that Phillip's print has? There are pictures of these in the second post in this thread.

Comment

Tony I sent you a message

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                                Tony, could you let us know if your print has the same markings that Phillip's print has? There are pictures of these in the second post in this thread.
                                -mine does not have the same markings as Phillips- sadly Phillips looks sub standard to say the least. Mine has NO green lines at all just an occasional scratch mainly on right hand side if frame.
                                i Wouldn’t be happy if I had Phillips copy either
                                if would appear some received better prints than others?

Comment

Working...
                                X