No announcement yet.

Wolverine-Hawkeye Telecine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Stan, I understand that the clip speed is able to be changed (slower or faster replay) but wanting to be able to replay at "normal" speed and yet increase the frame rate for smoother pans etc, say to 50fps, may not be possible within DaVinci, I have not found a way to do this.
    Thanks - Bruce

Comment

• You are correct Bruce. That should be one of the basic features i.e. interpolate the frames without duration change. But looks like they never implemented that which is really strange.
      For me that is no problem because I like to run my videos in slow motion and interpolation works quite well there. But many people like yourself want to play the video at normal speed.
      There is a workaround however. You slow the speed down to around 8 FPS (for 24 FPS normal speed) and save the video as TIFF files. Then import the tiffs into VitrualDub at 72 FPS and you will get back the normal speed at 72 FPS.

Comment

• Hey All!

Bruce, I don't know, but I would be surprised to find Davinci can't manipulate speeds. On a happy note I have been able to eliminate the GPU MEMORY error, at least so far! I'm impressed with the layout, features, and I have rendered a couple of test files.

Without knowing your specific issue above, I know my father panned the camera way too fast and spent too little time on each scene. All movies, even if shot at 24fps can have choppy motion in a pan. That is if the shutter speed was too high. Motion Blur smooths the jerky motion. Shutter speed should (have been) be only twice the frame rate. If the frames are blurred when panning, the motion is smoothed. Motion blur can be added in post if needed. I have some home movies on video that had high shutter speeds, now I can fix those!

The other problem is when you want to see more of a fast scene. I captured an old 8mm film that even played at the right speed, made everyone say "Stop, go back, pause."

Here's the Vegas way: Set the project speed to the frame rate of the film. 8mm=16, S8mm=18 or 24. Don't allow the incoming media to change the project speed. In my case it will ask every time a clip is dropped on the timeline, "Do you want to change the project setting to match the clip"? Just say NO!

I still render at "typical speeds" 24,30,or 60. I usually render 1440x1080_30fps. SPEED can be slowed or sped up by 'stretching' any clip on the timeline or entering the playback rate into the clip properties. Multiple clips can have multiple speeds different than the RENDER SPEED or the PROJECT SPEED.

I expect Davinci can do this, I don't know yet.

Still, depending on the film, a little slower is better! At least if my father shot the film!

P.S. There is a preference setting for the length of each frame when importing frames. Saves changing each clip after the fact.

Comment

• There may be a way. I just have not found it. The closest I got is by changing the FPS to slow motion (lower clip FPS than project FPS). This causes interpolation. But now there is no way of switching the clip back to original speed without dropping the frames.

Comment

• Ok found an easy way of interpolating the frames without changing the final speed of the video.
            Follow the procedure in the manual but set the FPS as shown.
            - make sure project retime is set to optical flow
            - Clip attributes - set to 60 FPS
            - create timeline at 60 FPS
            - change timeline speed to 24 FPS or whatever your final speed is.

And that is it.

Updated the post manual.
            https://github.com/vintagefilmography/Hawkeye
            Last edited by Stan Jelavic; June 01, 2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Hello Everyone

I experienced an issue with my Hawkeye this weekend where the frames continued to advance but a new image was not acquired. Seemed like the trigger event stopped firing. When I removed the film from transport, the pawl was moving and the trigger began firing again. I'll be pulling it apart later this week but figured I'd as if anyone else has experienced such a thing.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Regards

Chris

Comment

• Cannot think of anything obvious Chris. Perhaps you can try it with and without film several times just to make sure it is consistent. When running without film make sure the gate is closed. Also try running it in a dark area just to make sure it is not some external light source that is falsing the optical detector.
                Failing that you can lay the unit flat down on its back cover and make sure the claw is engaging the optical detector properly. You may need to connect the camera usb cable directly to the camera for this test.

Comment

• Hi David and Stan, again thanks for the replies, David I have spent some minor time in trying to figure out how to use Vegas 18, the time line response on my computer is terrible (reasonably old computer) so for now I will continue to persevere with DaVinci as I find no such problems with it.

Stan have tried your new method, may not have understood your instructions and so was unable to make it work for me.
                  What I have done :-
                  1. Import the tiff files under the Media Tab by dragging into the Medai Pool window
                  2. Change to the Edit Tab and click on the Project Settings Icon 🎆 and set Timeline Frame Rate to 50fps then set Retime Process to Optical Flow
                  3. Click on Save, a dialog box will pop up, Change Project Frame Rate, click on Change
                  4. Right click on the imported/opened tiff files icon and select Create new Timeline using selected clips, first option at top of drop down
                  5. A dialog box will appear, select a timeline name click on Create
                  6. Click on the Deliver Tab, select the appropriate options, NVIDIA gpu if available for encoding, file name, location, save etc.,
                  7. Click on Add to Render Queue button then click on Render All button to export the video at 50fps
                  Have tested this and from the original 3223 tiff images the rendered video has 8952 frames and the run time is 2min 59secs which is the same as the original run time at 18fps in VirtualDub2.
                  Thanks for your help Stan & David
                  Regards - Bruce

Comment

• My instructions in the manual are very similar Bruce. Here are the differences.
                    1. Import the tiff files under the Media Tab by dragging into the Medai Pool window
                    2. Change to the Edit Tab and click on the Project Settings Icon 🎆 and set Timeline Frame Rate to 50fps then set Retime Process to Optical Flow
                    I do not do timeline change here only Optical Flow
                    3. Click on Save, a dialog box will pop up, Change Project Frame Rate, click on Change
                    No frame rate change at this point.
                    4. Right click on the imported/opened tiff files icon and select Create new Timeline using selected clips, first option at top of drop down
                    Before creating new timeline I change the clip attributes FPS to 60
                    5. A dialog box will appear, select a timeline name click on Create
                    Before clicking on create I click on Use Custom Settings, then Format tab and change FPS to 60

Edited:
                    5a. Right click on the timeline in the timeline window and change the clip speed to 24 FPS or whatever the desired speed is
                    required. Also make sure that Ripple sequence is selected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	change-speed1.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	35585

6. Click on the Deliver Tab, select the appropriate options, NVIDIA gpu if available for encoding, file name, location, save etc.,
                    7. Click on Add to Render Queue button then click on Render All button to export the video at 50fps
                    Have tested this and from the original 3223 tiff images the rendered video has 8952 frames and the run time is 2min 59secs which is the same as the original run time at 18fps in VirtualDub2.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Stan Jelavic; June 02, 2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Updated the hawkeye-post manual to V1.2.

Comment

• Thanks Stan for going to the trouble of setting this out more clearly, the only minor difference I found in DaVinci v17.2 was with the "Create New Timeline" window

Name:	Snap1.png
Views:	297
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	35603
                        one must now un-tick "Use Project Settings" to access

Name:	Snap2.png
Views:	295
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	35604
                        this window and the "Format" tab.
                        Regards - Bruce

Comment

• Thanks for clarifying that Bruce. Will add it to the manual.

Comment

• Thanks Stan

My Hawkeye is behaving again. I still want to examine the frame sync mechanism but I'll put it off for now.

I've changed the timing in the MSP to 15 seconds per frame. This may seem excessive but I needed the time for averaging frames and for bias and flat frame correction. Stan, did you share the schematic for the v12 board? If not can I get a copy?

I've been following the HDR discussions and thought this might be relevant.

I changed the frame format of the TIScam Python project from BGRA to grbg. Even though the library said it was acquiring in 8 bit raw it was hard coded for the de-bayered image format. Next I changed my capture sequence to 7 frames at each of 5 exposures. Calibration frames were created using the method here, though instead of using a white background for the flats I used the out of focus lightbox directly based on the idea that I'm correcting for not just lens and sensor artifacts but also for light variations from LED placement and the blue hue of the LED.

Each of the exposures has the master bias and exposure specific flats applied in raw. Then they're converted to BGR and passed to the opencv HDR calibrate / merge Debevec function followed by tone-mapping and normalizing to 8 bit BGR. Takes a long time to capture a reel and I don't save the intermediate HDR because of space limitations. The finished frames are saved as PNG compressed and I use Cinelerra to do the compositing to video.

If anyone's interested I can post the python code for acquisition.

Regards

Chris

Comment

• Looks like you went a long way ahead with HDR Chris. I used Python on some other projects but not on this one. It is a very powerful set of tools and tons of examples available.
                              The schematic and the layout are definitely available. The design is here (eagle.zip)
                              https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1r?usp=sharing

You can open up the design with the Eagle cad (freeware). I am also enclosing the png version in the same link.

Comment

• Added Bruce's note to the postprocessing manual. It is version 1.3 now.

Comment

Working...
                                X