Hawkeye telecine digest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkeye telecine digest?

Hi everyone! I used to visit this forum time ago, when I became an owner of the original Wolverine MovieMaker (not the pro version). In the end, I became more interested on the technical aspects than digitizing films. I ended up releasing my own "remixed" version of the firmware (still available on http://retromania.pandelground.com/w...tal-moviemaker), which enabled FullHD (1920x1080) capture mode and higher bitrates, albeit it's only a cheap hack.

It's been a couple years from last time I entered here and was amazed to discover how the venerable, original topic about the Wolverine (http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...1;t=011395;p=2) has evolved into a full, professional project on his own (http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/fo...wkeye-telecine). I've been trying to read ALL the messages in both threads, but there's about 50 pages worth of discussion in each topic, so I haven't had any other chance than digest it a bit.

What I'm asking for is: could you please summarize a bit about the state of the project and why any attempt on hacking/modified the original firmware was abandoned? Yep, I'm aware of the bad quality of the camera/lens, but... couldn't it be possible to get a compromise between the original project and yours without too much hardware hassle? In particular, there is one comment from Stan Jelavic that puzzles me out:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...;t=011395;p=42

"1. The Wolverine camera is not the same resolution. It is 720 x 480 because of the 6mm lens used. Then they double up the frame digitally.
    It cannot be reused because the sensor is a part of their controller board. The new 12mm lens that we use with the new cam is far superior.. see some of the test results earlier in the thread."

"The 6mm lens has wide FOV and thus low optical resolution,sooo they digitally double the frame and that gives lots of artifacts. Additionally the MP4 encoding has high compression. The frames are not stored anywhere but pushed into the mpeg stream by the Novatek chip.
    You cannot put a higher FOV lens in there because there is not enough room to back off the controller."

How do you know that? I mean... Have you inspected, reversed ingeneered the firmware? I've read previous messages when the low quality of the lens is clearly displayed, but... Couldn't that be tweaked in any way? Maybe attaching a new lens and reusing the camera at higher resolution? Having been able to find a picture of the cam+lens either

Sorry dudes; I don't mean to be rude or anything. Just asking and very quick when writing this. I'm always short on spare time. Will return later and check and add more info. And dozens of thanks to those involved in that great, amazing project as the Hawkeye is. I cannot believe you have reached such an amount of success.

Hi Pere,
    The questions are always welcome and we all learn from them. I will try to elaborate what I said before the best I can.
    Wolverine resolution of 720x480.
    I would have to pull out the tests what I did. From what I recall I installed the Wolverine lens on Hawkeye and from the resolution that I was getting and with the pixel density correction between the two sensors I was getting only 720x480 rez. I also did a second check by measuring the distances and plugging them into the lens formula and got about the same figure. Did not pursue this further because my main issue with Wolverine are digital artifacts.
    Digital artifacts was another reason why we did not consider swapping the lens on Wolverine.
    Believe one person tried that and did not see any appreciable difference.
    So, if there was a way of getting a clean uncompressed image or video out of the Wolverine then yes I (and other guys here) would be willing to stay with the existing hardware and use a new lens.
    But, the Novatek camera used in this product runs in time lapse mode and goes directly image buffer to MP4 stream and there is no easy way of changing that. I contacted Wolverinedata and they confirmed that (not really sure how much these guys know because the firmware was probably done in China).
    Since you did some firmware patches you are definitely familiar with the issues. The chip mapping is not fully documented and the terminal mod is difficult to do etc.
    So anyways, back to Hawkeye...
    The board is at V12 and it can use several cameras from Imaging Source. The lens is a 12mm also from Imaging Source but we are now testing 16mm
    from China. Looks very promising and capable of 2048 x 1536 pixels for S8.
    It is capable of 2FPS scan rate and it produces uncompressed images that can be post-processed with VideoFred or other tools.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Stan.

Again I want to make clear how much impressed I'm about your work, and also would like to acknowledge that from Kamel, David, Mike and probably others involved that I am missing.

Well, I'm still mostly interested on the technical aspects of the original Wolverine and see if they can be pushed to the limit. I did the compulsory teardown of my machine:

I haven't been brave enough to unscrew the camera itself from the board, as I'm afraid of definitely ruin it, but would really like to take a look at the pinout and see if it could be replaced with a compatible, higher quality one (also the optics) that maybe would work from scratch, or at least with some minor changes to the firmware we could able to "hack".

You said on a old post that you where able to access the serial console; if I'm not wrong, it's the 4 golden pins next to J7 (the CVBS output), but could you please provide the details, as well as the pinout? I have one of these TTL to USB, but as I don't have an oscilloscope, Im afraid of ruining the machine by making the wrong connections...

Other interesting, suspicios ports are J2 and J4, also next to J7 but on the opposite side. I wonder what where those intended for. Have you ever tried to inspect them, Stan?

CN1 (mic) and LS1 (loudspeaker) are also pretty obvious, too, but I cannot figure out of what use could those be there.

If you wish to share with me any other findings you possibly made before starting dovelopment on the Hawkeye, I would be very grateful, Stan. Although I don't promise anything in advance, as I'm always lacking spare time and I'm not gifted with much talent and constance, but it would be fun to play with this when I have the time.

Comment

Thank you Pere. Here is some into on the UART port that I posted on Feb10,2019 in the old forum:

Originally posted by Found the UART port. It is 38.4 kbps and I can see the data coming out on the Tx pin. Pin 2 from the left looking from the back of the unit. Assume pin 3 is Rx. Pin 1 ground and pin 4 +3.3V supply.
        [URL
        https://photos.app.goo.gl/d45DhopRHK5NkSxMA[/URL]
        https://photos.app.goo.gl/C3nV73fckoktFiUZ8
        Have to get the uart to usb converter. They are pretty inexpensive.
        Soldering of the wires to the gold pads is pretty tricky and the pads sometimes come off the PCB when heated. So do not hold the soldering iron on them for too long.

The camera sensor on the Wolverine controller is incorporated into the PCB i.e. soldered onto the board and there is no easy way of replacing it.
        https://photos.app.goo.gl/hZyoJrDYcmQ8bBFd8

The novatek IC is right next to it.

Not sure about J2 and J4.
        The design is taken from the lapse mode dash camera so the mic and the speaker connection make sense.

Comment

Hi Stan! Ouch, I remember reading you said you gained access to the console but didn't remember that one about the pinout. Will try to play with it after work. Thanks! By the way, did you manage to do anything usable in there?

Forgot to mention other suspicious points on the boards. One of them can be seen here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7gdeBV3rCva79ZCU9

Do you see those 10 golden spots on the bottom side of the flat connector?

The other one looks even more suspicious to me. Do you see those 5 spots to the left of the cam?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J9ENFantMvf8mbmw9

And finally, regarding the mic and speaker connectors... If you search for DV180N model written on the board, you only get references to the Winait device. In case it was a "recycled" reference or dashboard cam design, one should expect to find other devices using this same board, but, anyway... Who knows.

Forgot to say... You mentioned previously that the sensor should be this one or a very similar one:

https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/ON_Se..._Datasheet.pdf

Are you 100% sure this is the model? I mean... How do you came to that conclussion? Looks like the CSP HiSPi/MIPI BGA array version looking at the dimensions and sensor disposition on page 70 of the datasheet, but couldn't it be a different brand/model? Is this configuration/ball disposition common or standard in any way? Have you tried detaching it from there? I mean... could there be an "intermediate socket" or anything in order to avoid them soldering directly to the board? Finally, if it's soldered directly, do you think there could be a change of desoldering it using a hot air gun and maybe replacing it with an adapter or so (which could be again soldered with a hot air gun, something I don't think that could be possible with a sensor) and then try new sensors via that adapter?

Another edit: I also forgot to mention about exchanging the lens. Unfortunately, I'm not into photography, so I don't have a clear understanding of the focal length numbers. Also after searching for some time I cannot find if there's a standard for the sizes of these miniature lenses, in order to search for any info on swapping the cheap, original one. Do you know anything regarding this? Do you think there's anything to gain on this aspect?
          Last edited by Pere Pasqual; July 15, 2020, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Lots of good questions Pere. The sensor seems to be soldered directly onto the PCB without any sockets in between. It is possible to solder the sensor but the process has to be tailored for the specific sensor. Here are some guidelines
            https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/...ndling-sensors
            What I usually do with the test points is hook up a scope to them and from the waveform try to figure out what it is.
            Not 100% sure if this is the sensor that I posted the specs for. The specs match pretty close. Also found a Chinese version of Wolverine and that web site had more specs than Wolverinedata. Will have to dig that out. Sometimes these chips come in different mechanical packages.
            There is a dash camera blog and the camera models that they discuss has very similar features and seems to be the same chipset and teh specs are very similar. Again, will try to dig some of that info for you.
            WE did a pretty extensive work on picking up the lens and can share that with you. Lots of info is scattered throughout the blog. But getting an equivalent lens and better quality should be doable.
            You would gain in image quality if you figure out a way of disabling compression and sharpening. The compression is pretty severe and wipes out any gain that you could potentially get with a better lens.

Comment

Thank you, Stan! Of course it would be great if you could share the info regarding lenses and everything, and also the other, dash-cam related, blog. Because if I understood properly, there are two, right? The one you did and another you found, hehee...

Another nice addition would be an HDMI output. It's already supported by the chipset, but no traces on the board

I also realize it's time for me to get an oscilloscope

Comment

Here is what I got from the console output. There is a way of putting it into control mode but I could not do it. Contacted one of the dashcam guys and he sent me the procedure that he was using but it did not work on Wolverine.
                Got the console working but cannot switch it to the command mode. So it is not of much use at this point:
                NPT
                DV180N Loader NT96650 Start ...

650DDR3_300_1024Mb 07/23/2015 15:56:42

MID=000000C2TYPE=00000020,SIZE=00000016

RFlsh
                R
                PL
                RCPU/OCP/APB = 432/432/80 Mhz, DMA = 300 Mhz
                Clk verify PASS

================================================== =======
                NT96650 SDK
                Copyright (c) 2012 Novatek Microelectronic Corp.
                ================================================== =======
                Hello, World!
                > Enter DSC
                bind - begin!
                bind - end!
                event loop - begin!
                ERR:ramdsk_setParam() No Implement! uiEvt 1
                [LOAD-FW]
                Total Sections = 2
                Section-01: Range[0x80000000~0x800AB000] Size=0x000AB000 (LOAD)
                PL_begin
                Section-02: Range[0x800AA824~0x803DDCB8] Size=0x00333494 (LOAD)
                PL_end

---------------------------------------------------------
                LD VERISON: LD650
                FW --- Daily Build: $Date: 12/09/24 6:56p $
                ---------------------------------------------------------

ERRll_setClockFreq() Target(4) freq can not be divided with no remainder! Result is 24750000Hz.
                ERRrvLCDState() state=0x06 not support!
                [DOUT1]: device = [Display_LCD], state = [STOP], mode = [0x00, 480x240]
                [DOUT2]: device = [N/A], lockdevice = [N/A]
                ERR:PStore_OpenSection() Section not found, name: DEFAULT, op: 0x1
                ERR:SectionRead_Header() HEADER open to read FAIL
                ----------MBMA150_Init----------
                ERR: open I2C driver sucess!!!!!!!
                ERR: Error transmit data1!!
                ERR:Ux_GetRootWindow() wnd not created
                ERR:PStore_OpenSection() Section not found, name: ONLOGO, op: 0x1
                ERR: Section PS_BG_LOGO open fail
                ERR:PStore_CloseSection() Invalid handler 0
                ERR:fs_ParingDiskInfo() Parsing PBR FAIL
                .ERR:fs_StorageDrvInit() Parsing Disk info fail.
                ERR:FST_CMDSysInit() File system init fail and will idle. -259
                KENPHY SHOW MovieExe_OnColor:0
                WRN:_GxSound_Play() Snd Data Size Not Word-Alignment=75670
                ERR:aud_addBufferToQueue() buf size not word align: 0x12796
                ERRrvNANDState() state=0x03 not support!
                ERRrvNANDState() state=0x03 not support!
                FL_CardStatus=0
                Mode {MOVIE} Open begin
                MODE -1->2
                DrvSensor_GetObj1st
                ERR:Init_AR0330() ^GOTPM v5
                ERR:Init_AR0330() Chip version is 0x2604
                ERR:ChgMode_AR0330() ChgMode_AR0330 to 4...
                ERR:AF_Open() #Register AF event table.
                ERR:IPL_SIEClkCBFlowC() SIEclk = 120000000
                ERRre_open() PLL6 selected but not enabled...
                ERR:IPL_SIESetCAVIG_FCB() CA VIG Setting not ready
                ERR:AF_Tsk() #Entered AF_Tsk
                KENPHY SHOW NEG:0, TARGET:2880
                no CB2222222
                ERR:IPL_FCB_Alg3DNR() ^G3DNR on..
                ERR:IPL_FCB_AlgWDR() ^GIPL_FCB_AlgWDR = 6..
                ERRwm_pwmDisable() not opened yet!
                ERR:FileDB_CurrFile() u32TotalFilesNum=0
                fileid:0
                KENPHY SHOW INIT:0
                KENPHY SHOW MovieExe_OnColor:0
                ERR:IPL_FCB_AlgIE() ^GWDR OFF..
                [BMA150DThresHoldSet][212] Thres:1000
                KENPHY SHOW NEG:0, TARGET:720

Comment

Hey, Stan! I remember reading this. In fact, I've found the suspicious thread:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...12#post-455264

Where you that "Carpe Diem"?

Comment

Dashcam and Novatek forums:
                    https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...studies.18585/
                    https://www.goprawn.com/forum/novatek-cams

Some light evening reading Pere
                    Here is a pretty cheap dashcam that uses the same chipset. There are many of them.
                    https://www.amazon.com/Hd1080p-Camer.../dp/B00MQKNRDE

Note the sensor type.

Wolverine command console issues:
                    https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...12#post-455242

I had the same issue. Could not get the console into command mode.
                    The command mode allows you to poke around memory and observe the results.

Comment

You replied while I was typing in the response Pere.
                      You are faster than me he he. Good detective work. Yes that is me.

Comment

Hehehe... Yeah, I'm right in front of my computer. I did a lot of research time ago, and participated in GoPrawn forums. Too bad the hackers in there stopped development

By the way, looks like the cheap dash cam is still available for purchase on AliExpress at a mere 21 €...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3266...archweb201603_

And here the high-quality VIOFO version, sporting the same familiar Novatek chipset but this time driving a spectacular Sony imx323...

https://www.viofo.com/en/dash-cam/13...sh-camera.html

Although no HDMI this time. You can also buy it here for nearly twice the price...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...archweb201603_

Another EDIT: ok, found some teardown video of one of these models; have to inspect it further, but the board doesn't like like the same design:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...-is-fake.6896/

https://youtu.be/_FR6vsbyiQQ

Hmm, and here you can download the official firmware, which deserves some investigation:

https://support.viofo.com/support/so...amera-firmware
                        Last edited by Pere Pasqual; July 15, 2020, 12:12 PM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

The board does not have to be the same. If you get a reference design from Novatek you can come up with your own design.
                          Example:
                          https://fccid.io/2AC5Z-UM018G/Schema...cs-3088244.pdf
                          Along that you would need the SDKs for sw.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
                            The board does not have to be the same. If you get a reference design from Novatek you can come up with your own design.
                            Example:
                            https://fccid.io/2AC5Z-UM018G/Schema...cs-3088244.pdf
                            Along that you would need the SDKs for sw.
                            Wow Stan, now THIS is a great detective work!

This morning I took a look at it at on my way to work. It's clear how you came to the conclussion about the sensor they used and so on. By the way, is good to know they use our ol' "good" hardware combination in those "electronic microscopes"...

Another obvious question... I suppose you searched for the FCC-ID of the Wolverine on that database I wasn't aware of... I would try it by myself if it weren't I'm not at home right now

It would be great if at least one could implement an HDMI output in the Wolverine. I see a lot of unused tracks that come out of the NT96650, but unfortunately, being a BGA, I don't know which pin do they come from, that not counting that one would need very good soldering skills, and also that there weren't no firmware changes requirements in order to activate it.
                            Last edited by Pere Pasqual; July 16, 2020, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Could not find any FCC numbers for MovieMaker. There is a compliance note in the manual but no numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X