8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 42)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2019 04:49 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mike, I hope the curved pulleys will help you to preserve the films from scratches and make the reel easier. (no more trash with loose film!). [Wink]

Thanks Stan for the test return. I will try to find shorter screws because I could do a thicker design for the support but I will still lose a bit of motor axis that is already very short.

For the v8, we will be patient. Sonalert is very useful. I will use it (with the capstan). [Wink]

It's very well thought out : a basic version that works fine and options for those who wish (it is better to predict, even if it is not used for everybody). [Smile]

[ October 03, 2019, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

|  IP: Logged

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2019 07:46 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree, the shorter screws is a better solution Kamel.

Regarding the 3rd speed it is possible Kamel. The only constraint is the encoding on the two input pins of the MSP, pin5 and pin6.
So currently if pin5 is high the speed is 2 sec, if pin6 is high it is 4 sec. If both are high it is 1 sec.

But I wanted to add the rewind.. So, maybe use both pins low, and use a rewind switch that shorts both inputs through diodes. Alternatively, we just have 2 sec and 1 sec and middle of the switch for rewind. The middle of the switch pulls both inputs high.

[ October 04, 2019, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2019 01:06 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Stan for these explanations. As I understand pins 5 and 6 (pins 7 and 8 of msp430 ?) are used.

Foresee rewinding is a very good idea to complete the Telecine system !

So, we would lose speed 4im / sec, right? I have not pushed the tests far enough to know how fast we need to allow recording on the computer hard drive ...
To think, but it's the right way Stan, it's very motivating! [Smile]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2019 11:05 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the V7 wiring before tiding up. All tests passed. The speed switch middle position is used for rewinding. One second per frame does not work. Will look into that at some point. But for now it is, 4 sec/frame, rewind, and 2 seconds per frame.
 -

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2019 03:25 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks very good.
Amazing work Stan.
Getting more complex with each build.

The rewind will be handy for those without a viewer or projector.

Any chance you have time to make a quick sketch of the wiring diagram for the switches and fan wires please?

[ October 06, 2019, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2019 11:48 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will add it to the manual Mike.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2019 03:01 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,
Should I choose a 3-position switch to benefit from rewinding? ( ON-ON-ON?)... I am looking for a mini sliding switch.

These are stupid beginner questions, but I still have a lot to learn and I like that.
This project will have taught me a lot. Thanks again Stan. [Smile]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2019 06:39 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three position Kamel should work. The first position provides the contact between the 1st post and the center post. the center position all open, and the third position connection between the 3rd post and the center post. That is for the slide switch.

BOARD STATUS:
Here is the kit shipment update:
- The complete pro unit with Hawkeye to Bruce shipped yesterday (10/7/19)
- The board to Mike shipped today (10/8/19)
- The rest of the boards being put together today and tomorrow.

[ October 08, 2019, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2019 01:44 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan I can't wait for the pigeon to drop it off.
Thank You so much for all your hard work.
As I came to the page tonight, I said to myself "I wonder when the board will be on it's way"
And By Jingo, it's in the post.
Very happy to read that.
Now, please send me a paypal address in PM, so I can send you some beer money.
The mod is coming......

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2019 07:44 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did send you the paypal account info Mike and thank you.
Hope the board gets there soon and intact.
On another note running out of solder.. but the new roll should be here tomorrow.

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2019 10:18 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Resizing an 8k image down to 500 pix, I'm exhausted. Abt 7% of the original. I must say it looks a lot smaller than other images I've been seeing? It is also so small, no one will be able to see the grain that I was complaining about. Can't be the film stock, this had to be shot on Kodachrome II in 1965, it's only 8mm. It must be the conversion of film grain to digital pixel array that amplifies it. I've been shooting single frames with a dslr around 8k. For print, the grain is softened some by the printer, but not in a video. That's why I want 4k camera.

Questions:
1. the original camera in the Wolverine MMpro is the same resolution as the replacement being suggested. Can it be reused with the new board?
2. Could a 4k camera, like the one I saw on OEM Cameras also be used in place of the 2k camera suggested?

The 4k is significantly more expensive, maybe 4x. Would only be worth it if the images were to be processed for grain and jitter, then shrunk down to 2k.

I don't know, I would look for a smaller fov lens if keeping the original Wolverine. The digital zoom makes all the noise worse. Not that saving uncompressed stills won't make a huge difference with the same camera.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2019 11:17 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
I replied to your private message earlier. Not 100% sure but seems you are looking for a high quality transfer something similar to a DSLR connected directly to the projector and hoping that we can achieve that with the Wolverine. Am I right?
The stock Wolverine is far from that and we had lots of discussion on that in the thread (I know it is lots of reading).

First to answer your questions:
1. The Wolverine camera is not the same resolution. It is 720 x 480 because of the 6mm lens used. Then they double up the frame digitally.
It cannot be reused because the sensor is a part of their controller board. The new 12mm lens that we use with the new cam is far superior.. see some of the test results earlier in the thread.

2. Possible - but the cost is high. Do you think it is worth it?

Here is some bakground info:

Essentially, Wolverine controller uses the following components:
Novatek NT96650 camera sensor controller
Onsemi sensor:
https://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=AR0330

and cheap 6mm lens.

The Novatek controller is used for time lapse mode and that cannot be changed. Similar to this product:
https://www.amazon.com/Crosstour-Dashboard-Recorder-Detection-Recording/dp/B07FXV5WHN

Now the really bad part:
The 6mm lens has wide FOV and thus low optical resolution,sooo they digitally double the frame and that gives lots of artifacts. Additionally the MP4 encoding has high compression. The frames are not stored anywhere but pushed into the mpeg stream by the Novatek chip.
You cannot put a higher FOV lens in there because there is not enough room to back off the controller.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2019 10:33 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan I am most grateful for the face plate, which arrived today.

Thanks for the PP address, have a beer & buy some solder ...

I must remember to click my profile and check messages more often.....

How very James Bond....
 -

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2019 12:12 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should have called it Hawkeye-007 [Cool]

Thanks for the beer plus Mike. All you need is the board now.
I will update the manual shortly with the wiring info etc.

Board status:
Have 6 board almost finished.
4 will be shipped tomorrow which leaves me with two extra boards if anyone is interested. Possibly Doug and Merv?

Also I have a blank board that is cut to the V7 dimension and it is free for anyone who wants to test if it fits. I am still concern that the belt driven units will cause problems.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2019 01:20 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a couple of weeks time, I have 'half term' at Uni.

That will be my moment to get the soldering iron out, open up the scanner and rip it to bits and spend a couple of days trying to make it work again.

Really looking forward to it.

Judging by previous mail drops, I expect the new board to be with me mid week next week....

This weekend will be dedicated to checking reels, splices and then a good clean with the VanEck liquid.

If we're lucky, my you tube will be running a premiere of HMS Ark Royal in glorious HD.

On the other hand I could just be bombarding you with HELP... IT DOESN'T WORK ..... [Smile]

Fingers crossed for a great outcome...

Terry Dowling
Junior

- posted October 09, 2019 01:28 PM      Profile for Terry Dowling   Email Terry Dowling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, I would be interested in a board please.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2019 02:51 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry, I assume you want the kit with the assembled board the switches and the front panel by no capstan- right? And USB to the back cover.

Terry Dowling
Junior

- posted October 09, 2019 04:39 PM      Profile for Terry Dowling   Email Terry Dowling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stan, have sent you a PM.

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2019 09:09 PM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stan

The 12mm lens should do what I was hoping for if the Movie Maker Pro's lens is 6mm. I'll be looking back through the thread for those details and samples.

4k is not a good choice for everyone, maybe not most. Those selling 4k capture, claim there is just a little more detail and tonal range left above a 2k scan. I believe a high-quality source has to be there first. I don't know if 4k is worth it to me. I recently intended to have a 50-foot reel scanned at 4k, but with the cost over $100, I changed my mind and went with 2k.
Now I'm troubled by the new Wolverine's output ( I own one) after it is promoted as a 2k sensor.

I have been taking some still captures from 8mm & s8mm with a dslr because some family events are only on 8mm. I don't have a way to frame register the images from 8mm, so capturing movies with my setup would be impossible.

Over the years I've transferred films to videotape, videotape with better scanners, and then dvd. Time to do it again.

Thank you for being there. This thread goes back years! It's been on my mind for years too.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2019 10:45 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, have you tried playing with the sharpness settings in Wolverine. I assume you did. Yes, the lens is around 6mm because when I install the 8mm lens it gives me a bit of zoom comparing to the stock lens but not much more.
Also the optical measurements point to 6mm.
For us to get to 2K with the Hawkeye mod the lens would have to be changed. The problem with the 12mm that we have is DOF. You bring the lens closer to the object and you get your 2K but the edges start getting soft so although the pixel rez is high the one with lower rez gives you overall sharper image.
An alternative is using the DSLR with a macro lens. The kit can be used for that but the front panel top would have to be cut out to allow the macro lens access.
Once I am done with this project I might consider that.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2019 05:30 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Ha ! maybe a microscope :

https://fr.banggood.com/Andonstar-AD407-3D-HDMI-Digital-Microscope-7-Screen-Electronic-Soldering-Microscope-for-Phone-Repair-with-Adjustable-Stand-p-1549209.html?ID=47757&cur_wareh ouse=CN

[Smile] [Smile]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2019 12:30 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting but still a microscope cam...
External trigger
Adjustments like gamma correction etc etc..
But it has a nice stand [Smile]

Possibly go with a camera with c-mount lens with manual iris. Can easily do 4k but we are talking $$$
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1305341-REG/computar_m1224_mpw2_2_3_12mm_f2_4_5_0.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrfvsBRD7ARIsAKuDvMPOLqOyzCf_eTyjNNk _-B39kGLB4wfTO8BM1dAmwgMMIHdzOMpoBW8aApg5EALw_wcB

AND:
https://www.back-bone.ca/4kmicro/product/h5pro/

Are we running here is circles - ha ha.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2019 07:49 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kamel Ikhlef, Stan has shipped a Wolverine Pro unit and it should arrive probably early next week (I think end of this week would be optimistic). I am wondering if the STL files for the printed parts are available or needed, I am not sure exactly what parts might need to be printed. Thanks for your work in developing these items, I know how time consuming it can be, I use Inventor to develop mechanical parts for 3D printing.
Regards - Bruce

David Brown
Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2019 12:32 AM      Profile for David Brown   Email David Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel
I was just looking at that digital microscope last night on ebay!

I feel like I'm living in two time zones. I'm only on page 10 of this thread (2017) and now I'm "back to the future".

I am also now wondering if my WMMP(wolverine Movie Maker Pro) lens is exactly focused.

A note to those in the past: If the lens won't move, use acetone on a q-tip to dissolve the thread lock, not pliers!

Stan
I did try all the settings in the WMMP. The consensus of advice I found was not to use any of them.

There are 2 camps here, those who do post processing and those who don't. I post process. I do sharpening and all the other settings in post. They can contribute to greater compression artifacts if captured. This is also true if shooting new video today, don't sharpen in-camera, use low contrast and color saturation. It looks terrible if you don't post process, but leaves more latitude for adjustment.

So the 12mm lens on the new camera in the Hawkeye upgrade does not cover the entire sensor? 2592x1944 (RGB32/Y800)

Anyway, I like the idea of a new camera that fits in the existing housing. My macro setup with a dslr is VERY close to the film. I would not be able use a projector. In fact I had to make a "film gate" that attaches to the lens, which also eliminates high shutter speeds since this is over 6* magnification.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2019 02:06 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,
Here the link for My 3D Printed Design https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3891738

Here the installation guide : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M-9ojbxvb9FvW7craFfegnxl-lFLKF04

If you do not use the capstan. You only need curved pulleys to protect the film and maybe the lens holder.

It will be necessary to put small brass inserts for M3 screws. In the case, the shorter pulley must replace the capstan toothed pulley.
it will also be necessary to sand the pulleys to obtain a better smoothing.
You can load STL File in Inventor.

BTW : I have not finished the front cover yet, I'm waiting for everything to be functional to better anticipate needs...

[ October 11, 2019, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC