Suggestions for a Telecine at the Gate Set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
    Brent, that lens is very expensive. There are some alternatives.
    - Look at macro lenses for your camera. Looks like there is a 1:1 macro available. That would cover around 1/3 of your sensor. You could consider the extender ring or a few of them. Some macro lenses do not like that because you run beyond the lens operating range.
    - Use a good quality c mount lens with an extender and adapter for your camera. This is essentially what film-digital do. There are some excellent C mount lenses out there. Check the Mattias posts in the Wolverine thread.

As far as the motor control I looked at some ideas a while back. 60 FPS sounds very high. What is the lowest frame rate that you can do with your camera or is 60 the only choice? Can your projector run this fast?
    Possible alternatives. Run projector at an integer fraction of 60 such as 15 and then change the frame rate in the post.
    Back to motor sync. Two approaches.
    1. "quartz control" This does not use the feedback but ensures that the motor runs at a precise RPM. For this you need a stepper motor with with enough torque at 15x60 =900 RPM. The rpm has to be adjusted if the belt is used or gearing.
    2. Feedback. Have optical sensor installed around the claw and feed it into an arduino or similar controller that drives the motor controller.
    3. Use a powerful motor with the PWM controller.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more details.

Dear Stan, I hope you can help me. I was thinking of buying one of those film-digital lenses as well, but I think they're a bit overpriced. I have a Bauer T502 that has been adjusted and can run at 16.6667, 18 and 24 fps. Also the light has been diffused and there's a 16mm enlarger lens.
    'm using a Canon 600D DSLR in video mode. Because I installed Magic Lantern I can shoot at exactly 18fps so when scanning my super 8 films in real time I won't get any flicker.

The part which is lacking in my setup is the right lens. I'm currently using a 18-300 mm Canon zoom lens, which works but I've got the feeling that I can increase sharpness. Ideally I would like to remove the lens from the projector and find a camera lens that is small enough to stick in the tube of the projector where currently the projector lens is. Just as they do at film-digital. Since you referred to a post from Mattias in the Wolverine thread regarding some c mount lenses I tried to find that post. However, I can't find it. Would you maybe have a link to that particular post or maybe suggestions for a good lens?

thanks
    remco

Comment

Here is the link Remco
      https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...2872#post12872
      But before you go that way you could consider using the reverse mount for your lens. You will have to get the reverse mount adapter which
      should be readily available and not very expensive.
      Then set your lens at 18mm and preset the aperture with the lens in the right way and removing the lens without releasing the aperture set button. The lens will then stay locked at that aperture. Then reverse mount the lens. Remove the projector lens. You do not need it. Then try capturing the gate.
      If this does not work due to the projector mechanical constraints then you can also try using the Laowa Venus lens. I have one of those and they work very well.
      https://www.venuslens.net/product/la...ultra-macro-2/
      Hope this helps.

Oh yes forgot to mention. You can also try the 50mm lens in the projector combined with your zoom lens.
      https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...sample-footage
      Stan

Comment

Working...
      X