Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Choose a Projector

Hi all,

Another helpless beginner here. I've been converting old VHS/Hi-8/Video-8 home movies for a bit now, and I'm finally starting to plan for the older home movies that my family has, but after reading through these and the archived forums for a few weeks now I'm a bit overwhelmed with how to start.

My family has a bunch of old 8mm and 16mm film from about the 40's-early 80's. From what I've found so far it's mostly regular 8, and standard 16mm, but the digging through old boxes across multiple houses and states will probably continue to uncover more in potentially different formats.

I'd prefer a frame by frame capture method, and for 8mm it seems like the wolverine/hawkeye is the best way to accomplish this? I don't know if there's anything similar for 16mm.

It seems like the other best option is taking a camera and directly recording from the projector lens (telecine?). I have a Nikon D3400 that I could use, but have no idea on which lens size and stuff I would need to capture this direct feed. Does this capture method produce acceptable results, or is frame by frame really the only way to go?

Anyway, the main thing I need help with right now is how on Earth to pick a projector. There are tons of options that roll through ebay at a variety of prices, but I'm struggling to tell what is worth getting. It seems like a common recommendation is to replace the existing bulb with an LED, but other than that everybody on the forum seems to have a different projector and capture method. Are there certain features/brands to look out for or avoid? The full hawkeye mod will end up being pretty pricey, is there a way to get good results with just getting a used projector and doing the direct capture method?

I'm a fairly technical person and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty tinkering. I mostly know software though, so hardware is kind of a mystery. Any help or guidance anybody on here can provide would be wonderful!

This will probably depends on your expectation and/or dedication. What level of quality do you need? How much time/resource/investments you're willing to pour in?

At the beginning it is necessary to start with a dual 8 projector in good working order. And since you already have a decent camera I really encourage you to start with the most basic method - by projecting the film and use your camera to capture the projected image (like how everyone had started ).

If this happened to give you more than satisfactory result then the journey ends. Only if you're really expecting superior result then just proceed to the next step. For ultimate result I had settled down on this DIY setup.

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...tup-that-works

This seems to give the highest quality/cost ratio. The tradeoff would be the time spent - it's a pretty slow process (around 2 fps). But since that's not an issue for me so I'd stick to this arrangement.

Comment

Working...
    X