No announcement yet.

Oppenheimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking back about fifteen years ago I went to Reading cinemas here to a digital screening of "The Sound Of Music" I was surprised that the cinema was very close to a sold out session. Just before the start a employee of Reading went in front of the screen and told everyone there would be a Intermission no complaints there. I was interested to see what digital projection looked like, well as much as I wanted to find faults, I couldn't, as for the Intermission it was great to have that short break, it certainly didn't distract to the flow of the movie. I came away impressed. I don't think Reading has ever done another one since which is a pity. I don't recall any of the film distributors here saying you can't do a Intermission in the contracts we had with them, but as long as you screen the films the number of times as per contract they weren't that interested what you did, certainly the heavy handed treatment as mentioned above is something I have never heard of happening out here. As for home cinema and blu-raywell there are number of older titles that include a Intermission and Overture, an example "Ice Station Zebra" , "55 Days at Peking" come to mind.

The last time I went to Reading was to see Jurassic Park Dominion, I found it long, loud and after 2hrs and something I was glad at the end to get out of the place, sadly as someone who used to be a regular cinema goer, those days are now gone, my interest in going to the cinema these days has mostly vanished

Comment

Back in the day when I would book films, on the occasion of a film being 3h plus, you were always given the option of a intermission print. Depending on the cinemas setup. If you were using a tower system, you were limited to 2h20min max, so they knew they had to offer this.

If they knew that the film was going to be moved into a different screen later in the run, that could run the entire film, they would supply two extra reels to replace the two reels adjacent to the intermission , so that the film could run through.
      All of these prints were produced with a fade out and then an intermission title, and somethimes the film score would contine for about 30 seconds after the fade out.

It was always more fun to run a film with an official intermission, as this allowed for a great presentation. Also if you had 500 plus customers to feed and water, this gives you the flexibility to do so, as it was up to you when you started the second part, once everybody had returned to their seats. Everyone was happy.

I guess now with digital, all of this went out the window, as there is no excuse anymore for stopping the film midway.
      My heart goes out to anyone running an independent these days. As they have no control of anything anymore. Whatever fun and enjoyment we got out of the job years ago, sadly has gone forever. It's now just about the money.

Comment

When I saw it at our local independent cinema, we did have a break at a convenient point. Many of its patrons, like myself could not sit for 3 hours without having to pop out for a few minutes!. I thought it was very well done and very true to what I have read about him. Sadly, it will be cut to pieces or serialised if it is on one of the streaming tv channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
          The last time I went to Reading was to see Jurassic Park Dominion, I found it long, loud and after 2hrs and something I was glad at the end to get out of the place, sadly as someone who used to be a regular cinema goer, those days are now gone, my interest in going to the cinema these days has mostly vanished
          Same here Graham! I have not been to a Cinema since before the pandemic. I did enjoy attending the old Cinerama theater in Seattle, and the IMAX theater. The multiplexes are dismal venues.

Comment

Film-Tech did the film distribution for Oppenheimer (35mm and 70mm). The "no intermission" thing was very real. Any theater that for whatever reason couldn't run the film non-stop simply did not get a print and had to play a DCP (digital).

The best place for an intermission in my opinion though was at the end of reel 6. This is the Trinity test and the reel fades out. The film was 9 reels total, so right at the 2 hour mark of the 3 hour movie.

Comment

I'm sure a coouple of 8mm prints of long features came with the intermission tiles and play-out and play in music on them. I can't remember off hand but could have been El Cid, Hello Dolly, Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines or The Sound of Music . Maybe more than one.

Comment

Brian, the website https://hollywoodhalftime.ca/ is a good source of information on films with intermissions.

For instance the information for El Cid (at https://hollywoodhalftime.ca/el-cid-1961/ ) notes:

El Cid (1961)

Length of film: 182 Minutes

Rated: Approved

Genre: Drama, Biography, History

Director: Anthony Mann

Starring: Charlton Heston, Sophia Loren, Raf Vallone, Genevieve Page, John Fraser, Gary Raymond, Hurd Hatfield

IMDB Rank: 7.2/10

Part 1 Time: 118 Minutes

Part 2 Time: 64 Minutes

Where does the first part end? El Cid (Charlton Heston) says goodbye to Ximena (Sophia Loren) has he is called back into service by King Alfonso VI.

Final line of dialogue on the first part: “Then we will see each other again” El Cid to Ximena.

First line of dialogue on the second part: “Don Rodrigo” King Alfonso VI (John Fraser) address El Cid in the castles great hall.

How jarring is it when the first part ends? Somewhat, El Cid was banished by the Jimenez dynasty for falling to swear an oath of allegiance to King Alfonso VI, now years later he is called back into service. Will El Cid fight in the name of the King or support the King’s enemies?

Which part is better? Both parts provide extraordinary cinematography highlighting the visual landscape of South Spain only seen in epic style films. Although part two has more battle scenes, the slight edge goes to part one, as we not only get to understand the rationale of El Cid, but also his willingness to not give up his faith even in the mists of possible death.

Academy Awards: Best Art Direction-Set Decoration Colour (Nominated), Best Music- Original Song (“Love Theme from El Cid” -Nominated), Best Music-Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture (Nominated)​

Comment

I was fortunate to see OPPENHEIMER in 70mm IMAX here in Phoenix. I did have to leave once to answer the call of nature. I, along with the rest of the audience, was totally immersed and absorbed into the screen that hardly anybody stirred during the screening. Afterwords everyone stayed through the credits, and also applauded in the end. As a retired sound editor I was astounded by the sound mix—especially in the scene after the test where everyone was cheering Oppenheimer on the success of the test in their makeshift auditorium—how raucous cheers collapsed into a solitary horrific scream.

Once I asked a director how he got such great performance ms out of kids. He said he told them “don’t act it. Just THINK it. The camera will read your mind”.

I found this especially true in this film, in 70mm IMAX!

Comment

Graham Ritchie i remember showing all those David Lean films with an Intermission and with Play-In overture music before the start of the film and a Play -In music just after the Intermission was finished . Also some Play-out music at the end of the films . I can also remember the times when the only type of popcorn for sale at the cinemas was in cellophane packets of " Butterkist " . I too no longer go to the so called " Cinemas " these days unless forced to do so by the grandchildren .
                    As far as movies like Oppenheimer go i don't think i will bother watching it on any format as the subject matter as a film is of no real interest to me . I can always watch a good documentary of it elsewhere .

Comment

Working...
                    X