No announcement yet.

Going to the Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would have been. From what I have seen on another forum it should have been a 4k file but due to possible lack of commitment to pay more for that it was a 2k one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
      It would have been. From what I have seen on another forum it should have been a 4k file but due to possible lack of commitment to pay more for that it was a 2k one.
      What forum is that on? Would love to read more.

Thanks,
      J

Comment

Roobarbs here https://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/sh...st-U-K-Cinemas. You may have to be a member and logged in to read it, some of he categories are like that.
        If you can't see there is a link to Variety https://variety.com/2020/film/global...as-1234697827/

Comment

Well I had a look at the trailer of "Greyhound" on you-tube, and to be honest I am not to sure about this movie, I have my reservations. There appears to be plenty of action and CGI thrown in, but when it comes down to the North Atlantic convoys of WW2, the film "The Cruel Sea" does stand out. I am not sure if and when I will manage to ever see Greyhound as I dont have apple tv, but if you are looking for a true representation of what it was like "The Cruel Sea" both in the film and the book by the way, is an excellent choice. "The Cruel Sea" has been out on blu-ray for a while now.

Comment

Its nice to see some of the older titles coming back, however I must keep an eye out for "JAWS" ,going to the cinema to see that one is really a must

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140798.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	15534

Comment

Spit the dummy?

Comment

Mums with babies only session

I think we were the first cinema to do this in the city although we never called it "Spit The Dummy" This photo came from the local paper when we introduced it, in the back to the right is Helen our cinema manager at that time. It was her idea to put on a single weekly film for mothers and babies only. It worked out well

PS I just remembered Helen had a baby bottle warmer for them as well

Click image for larger version  Name:	pict66 629.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.5 KB ID:	15542
                Last edited by Graham Ritchie; August 22, 2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

The Rex Cinema in Wilmslow is due to open on the 18th of September.
                  The Regal Cinema in Melton Mowbray and The Ritz in Belper, date to be announced.

I've not been to The Regal in Melton Mowbray but was lucky enough to be invited to a pre-official opening show at the other two. Very good family-run venues.

Comment

I'm sure that many would disagree with me, but I refuse to go to a digital projection. If I want digital, I'll pop in a DVD or Blu-ray on my projection TV at home. It just isn't the same for me. Call me an ole fogey and sentimental, but I just can't stand it.

Comment

Well this is a interesting idea that our local cinema have come with, That is to be able to pick a movie, and book a theatre for up to only 20 people. I have no idea the cost, but if you can get 20 people together and split the cost, it might not be to bad. There are some really good titles there, including Jaws . This would be the chance to watch a movie of your choice, on a "lot" bigger screen than at home .

Name:	P1160565.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	21089

Name:	P1160566.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	21090
                      Spit the dummy

Name:	P1160564.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	21091

Name:	P1160563.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	21092

Comment

I don't understand this how a theater can expect to make money running previous released films that most people have on DVD and charge money to get in for it......

in these times you'd think most would stay home and watch for free

Comment

I think that being in desperate times to stay in business, cinemas will try everything. I last went there to watch the 1968 movie "Planet Of The Apes" and seeing it on a large screen than you could ever have at home is much better. Its making use of the kind of investment of VP etc, that we at home will never have.

When I worked at the cinema there was no way a group of only twenty people could afford to hire a cinema, unless you were very rich, you really needed around 150-200, numbers like that. Times have changed, just getting people to go, is becoming hard, even though "virus wise" things are fine at the moment in NZ. I did here that the original "Jurassic Park" sold out a while ago. My understanding is that, with even with new movies like "Tenet" it failed to do well.

Times have changed and I am glad to be out of it, things are not looking good for cinemas, in saying that I hope I am wrong and things improve. I don't want to see them going out of business.

Comment

If they are playing to less than 20 people with normal showings that could be the best way to get more people in. Even if things are fine people might not be inclined to risk going out to the cinema when people they don't know are there, but will if they are all in a group of family and friends.

Comment

I found out today that the cost is about $250 to $280, depending on the movie, so if you split that twenty ways that's only $14 a head, which is very good. Also you can hire a theatre out for gaming as well. This is the big plus with digital projecting, not only access to a vast choice of movies, but gaming as well, now that's thinking outside the box

Name:	gaming - Copy.png
Views:	185
Size:	614.1 KB
ID:	21123

Comment

Doing some shopping at the mall yesterday and called into our local, to see what they are screening this week. I noticed "Home alone" that is on tonight and "The Polar Express" this afternoon. I remember running "The Polar Express" at the cinema many moons ago. This weeks line up of movies does look good, the usual downside to cinemas at this time of year here, is that its summer, so folk are usually out and about doing other things.

Name:	P1170017.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	22827

Comment

Working...
                                X