No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago when I worked in the cinema this film also by Taika Waititi did the runs. Its not that often a locally made NZ film does well, this one along with "Whale Rider" which I put together for the premiere city screening, and films like "The Worlds Fastest Indian" which interestingly the Space Shuttle crew choose to watch the night before there mission, and "Second Hand Wedding" all did very well. "Second Hand Wedding" was brilliant. I kept that one on the cinema schedule for months. One film I forgot to mention by Taika Waititi is "Hunt for the Wilder People" starring Sam Neill is also worth looking out for.

Anyway back to this brilliant ending to the film "Boy" that Taiki Waititi and the cast put together right at the end of the film.

Comment

Well the old film projectors are having a rest, although I did screen a 35mm print of "Wall-E" two weeks ago. That's one film I never tire of

Anyway back to this one that I have never forgotten since the 1960s after seeing it at the cinema. "The Sand Pebbles" is a movie I will watch every so often. With a running time of 182 minutes its a long one. There is a Intermission if you wan't a bit of a break, great stuff from 1966 here are a couple of screen shots from the other night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110631.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	4727Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110634.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	4728Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110632.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	4729Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110633.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	4730

Comment

"The African Queen" not last night but the night before, beautifully restored from the original film elements, this Blu-ray is stunning, and highly recommend it

Here are a couple of screen shots using the Panasonic VP

Name:	P1110641.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	4932

Name:	P1110675.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	4933

Name:	P1110689.JPG
Views:	619
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	4934

Comment

A smashing watch that BluRay Graham we loved it as well also including the S8 trailer to start.

Watched Meteor from Kino a nice BR but I did find it a little flat on contrast levels. I've had the S8 for decades and although pinkie it holds a bit of magic as I cut the 400ft into the 3X400 making for a decent view.

Ended watching Scars of Dracula which Jenny Hanley autographed for me last year such a great lady and quite a giggler.

Comment

Certainly is Lee

I used to have "The African Queen" feature on Super 8 the sound quality on my print was not the greatest, however the color was fine.

The other night it was the turn of the blu-ray of "Poltergeist" 1982. The sad part about this movie was the tragic deaths of both girls years later.

Anyway here are a couple of screen shots, by the way the brilliant soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith is worth getting on CD.

Name:	P1110693.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	5049

Name:	P1110695.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	5050

Name:	P1110696.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	5051

Comment

Your Blu-ray African Queen is fantastic Graham. I just love that move. I have a faded 16mm print and find it hard to watch sometimes...but I like the movie so much and it is FILM...so I settle for the less than ideal quality.

Comment

I once saw the actual boat used in The African Queen at an open day at a boat yard in Exeter, quite a surpise!

Comment

Thanks Janice

I have the feeling that the Super 8 feature would still be OK color wise, hopefully one day you will come across a good color 16mm print. I am sure they are out there somewhere.

The other night it was "Outland" on blu-ray. I remember seeing it at the cinema way back in 1982 and its a movie I still watch every so often, a 35mm print would be better, but until someone gives me a print I will have to make do with the blu-ray. Oh! I nearly forgot to mention the brilliant score by Jerry Goldsmith....a screen shot from the other night.

Name:	lf-14-1300x2574.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	5084

Name:	P1110700.JPG
Views:	558
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	5085

Comment

The last Blu-ray I ran/ projected was the final 2 episodes of Star Trek TOS box set, back in December. I have 2 players, one in the lounge connected to the AV system/ TV, and one connected to the projection gear in the back room 'cinema'. However I'm just finding myself watching streamed content nowadays from the likes of Amazon and co, though I would like to purchase 'UFO', probably my favourite G Anderson series on Blu-ray and project that.

Comment

Sunday night March 1st

Frozen II

I liked it

Comment

Chip...I was putting of watching Frozen 1 for ages, after a bit of arm twisting I finally watched it. To my surprise I enjoyed it and now looking forward to the release of Frozen 2

Last night on Blu-ray it was "Downfall".....excellent movie with English sub-titles. The initial introduction to the film is by "Traudl Junge" she also speaks at the end.

Name:	P1110731.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	5162

Name:	P1110732.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	5163

Name:	P1110733.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	5164

Name:	P1110734.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	5165

Comment

Projected 'Peter Rabbit' for two great-grandchildren. This was their first visit to the film room.

Comment

I was checking our old cinema records and came across one film that did very well at the time and that was Billy Elliot. We received it March 2001 and sent it back July 2001 I had never really watched it back then, however I did pick up a second hand blu-ray last year for $5. Two night ago I thought, OK lets watch it, and to be honest I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The music by T-Rex etc was brilliant so have ordered the CD soundtrack.

The quality of the Blu-ray as with the 5:1 sound was very good, all up a good nights entertainment using the Panasonic VP. Its been great of late catching up on movies that at the time I never really had the time to watch.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1110742.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	5398Click image for larger version  Name:	P1110753.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.5 KB ID:	5399
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1110764.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	5400
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1110771.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.6 KB ID:	5401

Comment

I pulled a couple of classics out from my Blu Ray collection to watch yesterday while I was sick.
                              The first feature was the Arrow release of The Andromeda Strain. It's a wonderful transfer and still a very enjoyable film.

Name:	v3oPU6H.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	5423

Name:	TU6e6SW.png
Views:	381
Size:	810.6 KB
ID:	5424

The Second blu ray feature I watched was last year's Ford v Ferrari, which I thoroughly enjoyed and looks absolutely beautiful!

Name:	ford-v-ferrari-steelbook.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	5426

Name:	Kz7td7h.png
Views:	383
Size:	803.2 KB
ID:	5427
                              Attached Files

Comment

Lincoln...Another good arrow release is "The Train" 133 minutes. I watched it last week and the quality is excellent, plus heaps of extras

Name:	P1110776.JPG
Views:	733
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	5564

Name:	P1110777.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	5565

Name:	P1110778.JPG