No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched “A Bunch of Amateurs” last night which I had recorded from BBC Channel 4, it’s also available on BBC I player. It was made by Burnley Film Makers Club, the oldest amateur film making cub in the U.K. It is really about the sad decline of these clubs in the U K due to the way life styles have changed of recent years and also the difficulties in keeping up with the raid changes in the technology involved. My own club Canterbury Film Makers will have to call it a day due to declining membership. Ken Finch. 😔

Comment

• The Trailer:

Comment

• How can anyone sit through this???? It’s the most boring rubbish imaginable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Moors View Post
          How can anyone sit through this???? It’s the most boring rubbish imaginable.
          😂😂😂

I actually got saw this on the news a blast from the past. Remember the Top Ten Amateur movies that used to be circulated to Movie Maker clubs. Very few gems but most were total total dross made by no talent wonders. One up from wedding videos and holiday movies. The front row says it all.

Comment

• Ken twas Bradford Cine Circle. I used to be Burnleys chairman want them. It was nice to see two of the old hands still alive a very active club in its day along with the film festival they organised. Good to see main man still has his Elmo GS as well.

They are projecting the doc in the cinema tomorrow

Sorry to hear about Canterbury, always remember Craven visiting and my club then Medway Movie Makers coming along great times. The best reelly.
            Oh what fun we had....

Last edited by Lee Mannering; December 15, 2022, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• The Big Steal early Don Siegel with bad boy Robert Mitchum. Fast paced at 70 minutes
              Attached Files

Comment

• We watched our Blu-ray of the 1935 "Scrooge". It is one of the worst imaginable transfers you could possibly imagine, taken from a terrible version of the shortened print at 60 minutes. The sad thing is that folks have actually done far better amateur restorations on this film at it's full length, on YouTube! This is a fairly interesting version of the story, some of the photography taking its cue from the German expressionists period of the 1920's and some interesting experimental special effects. Ironically, the fellow playing Scrooge played him on film in a 40 orso minute version in the second decade, and on stage in the first decade, but by 1935, he didn't need much make up to age him!

Comment

• Hi Osi, seems you were unlucky with that particular version. If you can play region 2 dvds you can get a very good restored dvd of the film with its full running time. Maybe your version was sourced from the Pathescope 9.5mm sound version which was edited.Ken Finch😊

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	689A45A3-C2ED-4FE9-A02F-F1B102C8EE0E.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	70832
                    Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                    We watched our Blu-ray of the 1935 "Scrooge". It is one of the worst imaginable transfers you could possibly imagine, taken from a terrible version of the shortened print at 60 minutes. The sad thing is that folks have actually done far better amateur restorations on this film at it's full length, on YouTube! This is a fairly interesting version of the story, some of the photography taking its cue from the German expressionists period of the 1920's and some interesting experimental special effects. Ironically, the fellow playing Scrooge played him on film in a 40 orso minute version in the second decade, and on stage in the first decade, but by 1935, he didn't need much make up to age him!
                    It is an overlooked version. Mind you there have been so many versions out there Alastair Sims , Kermit and Bill Murray are my favourites. If you want a rotten copy this one is hard to beat. A colorised version of the 1951 was handed out by a newspaper as a freebie. A five year old with crayola crayons was in charge of the colorisation. Truly awful plus a beaten up print to match.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	689A45A3-C2ED-4FE9-A02F-F1B102C8EE0E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	70832

It is an overlooked version. Mind you there have been so many versions out there Alastair Sims , Kermit and Bill Murray are my favourites. If you want a rotten copy this one is hard to beat. A colorised version of the 1951 was handed out by a newspaper as a freebie. A five year old with crayola crayons was in charge of the colorisation. Truly awful plus a beaten up print to match.
                      And the newspaper didn't last long after, due to other things they did with people's privacy, not the disc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post

And the newspaper didn't last long after, due to other things they did with people's privacy, not the disc.
                        Bit much calling it a newspaper Brian. For US readers National Enquirer with smut and tits.

Some of the promo DVDs like Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail even The Sun ones weren’t bad.

Comment

• Watched this one the other night. I first saw this film years ago as a 16mm Scope print and was impressed with it.

The blu-ray quality is excellent highly recommend it
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1310552.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	70860
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1310553.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	70861

Comment

• Bad Day at Black Rock was an early CinemaScope production from MGM and the opening with the train was structured to show off the wide screen. It's a great mystery set in a small town which is is hiding something.

I would also recommend it. It is available to stream on Youtube, but if you have a video projector, get the Bluray!

Bad Day at Black Rock 1955 title sequence​

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK - (1955) HD Trailer

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post

Bit much calling it a newspaper Brian. For US readers National Enquirer with smut and tits.

Some of the promo DVDs like Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail even The Sun ones weren’t bad.
                              Yes it did have the nickname "Screws of the World". Home of the sex workers investigative journalism end of story "at that point I made an excuse and left."

And yes I did some times buy the Daily Mail, just for the DVDs.

Comment

• Last night being Saturday, I thought it would make a nice change to watch a western, and what better than "The Magnificent Seven" with the brilliant Elmer Bernstein score.

Although this is the 50th anniversary edition, its now been 62 years since its cinema release, how time flies.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310705.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	70937
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310706.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.6 KB ID:	70938
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310707.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	70939

Comment

Working...
                                X