No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The live action Pete's Dragon was a complete flop in my opinion and makes me constantly shake my head as to WHY the Disney company continues to remake in live action, an animated feature, (well, in this case, a live action/animated feature), I almost get the feeling that Disney is embarrassed with they're past in animated cartoons and have the niavity to think that they can make it better today in CGI, which to this day, they have never been able to do. As for us, we watched the Blu-ray of "Land That Time Forgot", 1974.

Comment

• Santa Fe Trail Errol Flynn Ronald Reagan & Olivia De Havilland historical western as can only be created by Warners. Old Raymond Massey as John Brown stirring up trouble before Civil War. Blu Ray is a vast improvement on the quality of public domain DVDs . There is also cheaper German Blu Ray version which is same high quality. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2517.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	82664

Comment

• The Unconquered with Gary Cooper and Paulette Goddard. A tad overlong as most of Cecil De Mille movies were. Great colour print and Cooper does keep it going. Interesting to see Boris Karloff as Indian chief.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2521.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	82888

Comment

• "The Thing" 2011, this is a good prequel to John Carpenter's 1982 film. I like the ending to this prequel to, where the dog is being chased by the helicopter. It flows directly to the the start of the 1982 film which in turn can make a good two film night, if you want to.

The image quality of the blu-ray is really excellent as with the sound. One thing I do like about it, is the pure white projected image of the landscape coming from the Epson VP similar as shown in the trailer below. Anyway that's Saturday nights viewing, hoping to get back to actual film projection sometime soon

Comment

• I've never seen this film! I'd like to see it, at least once. Thanks for making it known.

Comment

• Pale Rider. Superb transfer to Blu Ray. Great bargain price for three westerns from Amazon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2523.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	82965

Comment

• Hi Ed

After reading you review about "Hearts In Atlantis" I have been looking out for a copy. Last week I found one on our NZ trade me site in new condition Pal Region 4 which is what we are in NZ. The person I dealt with was excellent, in the post on Thursday arrived Friday, pretty good, plus free postage included in the price.

I screened it twice over the weekend using the Epson VP, and I must say the image quality and sound were very good. I tend these days to go for blu-ray if I can get it, but this title does not seem to have make it past a DVD release. In saying that the DVD is very very good.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was one of the best I have watched in a long time, so thanks Ed for putting me onto it. The cast of Anthony Hopkins and young Anton Yelchin as Bobby was excellent. Over the weekend I watched one of the special features, of a interview between director Scott Hicks and Anthony Hopkins on this film and his life as an actor, also full of praise for Anton Yelchin. Yvonne told me, as it was based on a Stephen King novel said afterwards that his novels are usually horror stories, and was surprised that "Hearts In Atlantis" was not one of those. Yvonne really enjoyed watching it as well. The scene in the fairground at the card table was very well done, instead of the youngster watching the cards he was reading the persons face instead, very clever.

All up its excellent and for anybody thinking about getting a copy, I would certainly recommend it. I did take a couple of screen shots from using the Epson VP.

Name:	P1330803.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	83005

Name:	P1330804.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	83006

Name:	P1330785.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	83007

Name:	P1330788.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	83008

Name:	P1330789.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	83009

Name:	P1330791.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	83010

Name:	P1330793.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	83011

Name:	P1330794.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	83012

Name:	P1330795.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	83013

Name:	P1330800.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	83014

Comment

• Graham, glad to hear that you and Yvonne enjoyed Hearts in Atlantis. Roger Ebert's review really captured the essence of the movie. I have had the DVD since it was released. As you found, the DVD remains widely available in the used market. It is also available to stream in 1080p. There is a newer Bluray release from Spain with an English soundtrack.

I must say, the "What did you watch" topics (on film, disc or streaming) on this forum is a rich source of leads on the best things to watch. I have lost count of the number of films I had never heard of, or forgotten that I have watched based on these recommendations.

PS: I just learned that Anton Yelchin died in June of 2016 in a tragic accident.

Anton Yelchin, Star Trek's Chekov, killed by his own car

Published 20 June 2016

Anton Yelchin, who was best known for playing Chekov in the new Star Trek films, has been killed by his own car at his home in Los Angeles, police say.

It struck him after rolling backwards down the steep drive at his Studio City home, pinning him against a brick postbox pillar and a security fence.

He died shortly after 01:00 (08:00 GMT) on Sunday.

JJ Abrams, who directed Yelchin in the first two Star Trek films, paid tribute on Twitter saying he was "brilliant".

"You were kind. You were funny as hell, and supremely talented. And you weren't here nearly long enough. Missing you," he wrote.

Yelchin played Pavel Chekov, the role originally made famous by Walter Koenig, in the rebooted Star Trek films released in 2009 and 2013.

He reprised the role in a third film, Star Trek Beyond, which is due for release next month.

Justin Lin, who directed Star Trek Beyond, said: "Still in shock. Rest in peace, Anton. Your passion and enthusiasm will live on with everyone that had the pleasure of knowing you."

Zachary Quinto, who plays Spock in the franchise, wrote on Instagram: "Our dear friend. Our comrade. Our Anton.

"One of the most open and intellectually curious people I have ever had the pleasure to know. So enormously talented and generous of heart. Wise beyond his years. And gone before his time. All love and strength to his family at this impossible time of grief."

Fellow Star Trek actor John Cho, who plays Sulu, tweeted: "I loved Anton Yelchin so much. He was a true artist - curious, beautiful, courageous. He was a great pal and a great son. I'm in ruins."

Original Star Trek actor William Shatner also tweeted: "Sad news for such a talented young man."

Jodie Foster, who directed Yelchin in 2011 film The Beaver, described him as "a rare and beautiful soul with his unstoppable passion for life".

Los Angeles police officer Jenny Hosier said Yelchin had just got out of the vehicle when it rolled back.

He had been on his way to meet friends for a rehearsal but when he did not arrive, the group came to his home and found him dead, she added.

LA police told CBS News the county coroner's office "concluded that Yelchin's death was an accident" caused by "blunt traumatic asphyxia".

Police also told the broadcaster the vehicle involved was a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it appeared Yelchin had not properly put the car in park mode.

CBS reported last month the government National Highway Traffic Safety Administration was investigating the model over its "e-shift" transmission, amid reports of crashes linked to possible confusion over whether the vehicle had been put into park.

Police investigators have not established any connection between the transmission in Yelchin's Jeep and the incident that took his life.

Other stars to pay tribute to Yelchin on Twitter included Captain America star Chris Evans, who praised the actor as "thoughtful, kind and gifted", while Tom Hiddleston said he was a "natural actor and a deeply kind man".

Felicity Jones, who starred opposite Yelchin in 2011 film Like Crazy, said: "I'm devastated. A world without Anton is a lesser place. He touched everyone he met with his honesty and humanity. We have lost a unique and profound soul."

Director Guillermo del Toro added he was "the sweetest, most humble, delightful, talented guy you'd ever meet".

2 Broke Girls star Kat Dennings tweeted: "Anton Yelchin was one of my best friends. Can't say anything that conveys what this feels like."

An only child, Yelchin was born to professional figure skaters in Leningrad (now St Petersburg) in Russia, who moved to the US when he was still a baby.

His first screen role was in US drama ER in 2000 and appeared in more than a dozen TV series and films before his break out role in 2006's Alpha Dog.

Among his other big screen credits were Charlie Bartlett (2007), Terminator Salvation (2009), Fright Night (2011), Odd Thomas (2013) and horror Green Room, released last year.

The Guardian's film critic Peter Bradshaw wrote an appreciation of the actor saying: "A hugely popular and well-liked actor of enormous talent and potential has been snuffed out. What a waste."

According to IMDB, he had four other film projects due for release - sci-fi Rememory, dramas We Don't Belong Here and Porto, and thriller Thoroughbred.​
                  Credit: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36572649
                  Last edited by Ed Gordon; June 26, 2023, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Sorry to hear that Ed I never new that had happened, during that 2001 interview with Anthony Hopkins he commented about him, that he hoped Anton would follow a career in acting, looking at what he achieved he certainly did.

Comment

• Ed

Reading above on Jodie Foster comments of her film she directed with Anton Yelchin in it "The Beaver" reminded me that I had still not watched the blu-ray. When I picked up this X rental, the title of it did little to encourage me to watch it. However tonight I thought, right lets watch "The Beaver" and landed up really enjoying it "well done". It goes to show, you can't always judge a movie by its title. I was wrong with this one, and most likely will watch it again in the future.

If you have not seen it, give it a go and see what you think

Comment

• Graham, I will keep an eye out for this one. I must admit I am not a Mel Gibson fan, although I enjoyed his performances as Mad Max, and The Patriot. Jodi Foster has directed some fine films (Home for the Holidays is a must see movie during the holidays).

The Beaver did get some good reviews on IMDB. Here is a sample:

8/10
                        Watch it once ... then never again.

Glock_Boy30 September 2011

Give it to Mel Gibson. The man can act. He is one of the best and does not disappoint.

I rented this simply because I couldn't take the curiosity any longer. I had no idea what it was about.

Every performance here is solid and believable and deep.

The movie is about depression. So don't be surprised if you are left feeling ... depressed. I was. The movie concluded with an upbeat feel, but left me yearning for more.

This is one of those movies that, well, you watched it; you knew you had to - kind of like Schindler's List - then you put it away to never visit it again because you know the emotional pain that it delivers.

Comment

• Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs bought at CEX for £1.50. Good colours but some almost double imaging on a few shots. looked blurry!! No wonder it was that price. I had to follow it with Betty Boop's Snow White and Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs on Super 8.

Comment

• One of my all-time favorites, a wonderful film written & directed by Bill Forsyth.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Local Hero.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	83277

Comment

• Detour Cult Film Noir. Restored print paid for by George Lucas. Worth a watch.

Name:	IMG_2536.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	83288

Comment

• Last Night I watched the 1981 classic Made For TV horror movie: DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW! It’s still a fun spooky film that’s well shot and lit.

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	83296

Comment

Working...
                                X