No announcement yet.

Film Buying From Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom, it is not the EU that is taxing the incoming goods, it is our very own UK authorities. Until 01-01-2021, goods coming from elsewhere in the EU were given the same treatment as goods from inside the UK. Now, goods from the EU are treated as coming from any foreign country, and therefore subject to the same treatment (such as VAT and Customs Duty). I'm sure you can blame the EU for many things, but not for this (and not for rejecting straight bananas either, or forcing straight bananas on us; I think I heard both arguments ).
    The import duties will all go into the UK treasure chest and will be available for paying for flower beds in our lovely parks and (with a bit of luck) community halls that can then be hired for film fairs.

Comment

Dunno about that. My delivery to the Germany has now arrived but I did start to get oh 7 or 8 mails saying I would be threatened with a possible return and attached fees as result!
      Note. You have to include a pro forma invoice in your uk parcel destined for Germany and attach customers sticker outside. If you do not do it right you may risk long delays. Some have been lucky others have not = me.

Parcel.no 2 to Germany. Delivered in 2 days!! I dont gamble it's a game of roulette

Comment

Our own UK goverment are adding masses of their own paperwork and charges, even on the supposedly ( business only ) tarriff free goods that they can easily choose not to. But they are.

For private Customers buying in to the UK from the EU its a free for all costs and fees wise nightmare sadly.

And for small UK set ups selling to EU private customers its a particular total dissaster.

The UK could also say its not applying VAT, and charges etc to goods coming in to the UK if it wants too.

Everyone thought thank goodness for that RE a deal, but it was no deal really.

Even tarriff free trade is being written off with masses of very complicated paperwork.

Even if the UK reduces prices to a loss even, people in the EU will pay a few bob more elsewhere to just avoid all the hassle, fuss, and paperwork, obviously.

If anyone who voted for Brexit had forseen this debacle, with no benifits anyone can see as far as it goes, would they still vote for it, whatever it is.

To also still go ahead with the final chop, in the middle of Covid, was also beyond stupid.

Even J R Mogg making millions upon millions out of Britain failing ( very nice for him and his chums ) said it will take Britain 50 years to recover from Brexit and he helped make it happen.

In the meantime its going to cost a fortune here.

If food prices are not up 25-30% or more even within a year it will be a minor miracle.

But USA wise film and cine media coming in is customs free and no charges for up to $600 or more isn`t it ?

We can just hope in the UK they push to a further deal covering our hobby, but we can only hope.

Best Mark.

Comment

I really can't speak to the problems with all of these tariffs and such, but my issue is the damnable Global Shipping Program. I really wanted to buy one 100ft trailer on super 8, but just to get that shipped with GSP, would be over 50.00 U.S.! I mean, that's totally rediculous. The item itself would cost only 30 dollars, but would cost an additional 50 dollars, just to ship. I wrote the seller about this, (and he is a good fellow), but his feelings are, "I like the security". I wonder how much in sales U.K. sellers lose over this rediculous GSP!

Comment

I have just received some films from Argentina (dispatched December 29, 2020 – arrived March 1, 2021) no VAT or other charges. I haven’t bought from abroad for years. I don’t remember VAT being an issue, there was however a charge per foot on some occasions.
            if VAT is not chargeable from Argentina I don’t see why should be chargeable for the EU

Comment

You were very lucky there Joe.

Its like Lee says Roulette !!!

Best Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Todd View Post
                But USA wise film and cine media coming in is customs free and no charges for up to $600 or more isn`t it ?
                Mark, I don't think that is true. If I (in the USA) sell a movie to someone in the UK, the UK buyer will have to pay the 20% VAT.

Do Sellers on eBay, Amazon or another Online Marketplace Have to Collect VAT?

Online marketplaces (OMP) such as eBay, Amazon, Etsy and others will be responsible for collecting the VAT from the buyer when the sale occurs on their website as long as the price is £135 or less. For sales that are over £135, the OMP will not collect the VAT and existing import rules will go into effect (seller pays at port of entry).
                From: https://blog.stamps.com/2020/12/22/s...021-vat-rules/

This amounts to a significant disincentive for both US sellers and UK buyers.

Comment

Hi Ed sorry I was sure cine going in to the USA was free for a really high amount.

Obviously this ( UK ) way its never been.

Sadly now we are in for it from the EU as well.

Parcel force shares will be gfoing up nicely I imagine as they take many of the fees and charge for it.

Best Mark.

Comment

Mark, I have done a lot of searching for exceptions to the VAT tax, and there are exceptions granted for some goods, but film is never mentioned. Perhaps the US and UK can enter a trade agreement to allow free trade of analog media of a certain age. The vast majority of films being purchased were produced years ago.

Comment

It really is a shame, as, there are a lot of good prints out there worldwide, but worldwide "politics" are influencing everything, and that includes all the extra charges, which litterally feels like each country "punishing" each other financially. Then, there are the predatory companies, like eBay, that charge rediculous amounts of money for shipping, promising that packages shipped by GSP, for instance, will get there, hence the rediculously high shipping, and many, myself included, can attest to the truth that not only do not all packages arrive as promised, but where you would think that the packages will arrive quicker, they actually take longer
                      Highly inefficient. What is efficient ? Take the bloody package down to the post yourself instead of GSP, and save the buyer a goodly number of quid!
                      ​​​

Comment

Ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                        X