No announcement yet.

Serious collectors only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if the description or expectation is poor and so is the price it equates.

I thought it was just a chap not knowing what he was selling.

But he does seem to know some film flaws etc.

Sure hes a decent chap, but maybe caught up somewhat in the over pricing film thing.

There will be a crash before too many years,( even on more sensible prices ) has to be, as our numbers are dwindling, ( oooeerrr !!! ) and the super 8 machines are wearing out as well.

Best Mark.

Comment

Well if the description or expectation is poor and so is the price it equates.
      Hi...yes I think you are right...but I think that is perfectly okay for some sellers. They are happy (as am I) to get a lower price. It is simply not worth the hassle anymore to get the dreaded email from ebay "item not as described"...because one has not mentioned that the fade out titles have missing frames.

Loads of times I sell really good film for next to nothing, because I am happy with a poor description, and therefore a poor price. The film is for sale because it is waste, not what I needed or wanted, if it fetches a low prices...fine.

I think we need to realise that sellers are not all about getting the most money they can. Sometimes we are all sellers...and getting less for your stuff is okay...if it means you can sleep at night.

Comment

Oh Granted Ozzie.

i`ve got some middling films up cheap on ebay not selling as properly described. ( now !!! ).

I`ve been sold far far far worse films described as very good or even excellent.

Best Mark.

Comment

Yes...asking such a high price you would think at least the film would have been inspected for condition instead of "it may have...."

I wasn't sure from your reply earlier Ozzie if that was your listing or not. And I agree I usually sell stuff (rare, but I do sometimes!) at low prices and try to grade lower than the item actually is. Most items, films and equipment are pretty old now and will have flaws. This can be an issue with some buyers....I understand. That's why I rarely sell anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Williams View Post

Hi Melvin...I don't know a lot about 8mm, and I cannot comment on this particular listing, but I fear the posterior covering thing is understandable in some ways.
            Hello Ozzie.

In regard to your message which started with the above quote, I found it a very interesting read. There was much to digest and consider. I can see your point of view to an extent but, with respect, cannot possibly agree with you on some points.

I, too, am both a buyer and seller on Ebay. Not only films, but anything (well... maybe not EVERYTHING) that I have in my possession I feel I could sell and still make a profit on after Ebay fees and Post Office charges, I will do.
            Like you with your 8mm, I sell articles that I am not really familiar with. But to describe them in the worst possible scenario to avoid any future complications is just not doing oneself any justice. I have always been up front in my descriptions of articles. I have always found that truth and honesty is absolutely the best policy. The general public is well and truly fed up with B.S. !
            To elaborate on your example of selling pottery, I recently have sold a large quantity of Royal Doulton and Royal Copenhagen plates and figurines. Most were in "as new" condition, so they were advertised as such. The odd one had a firing blemish on it or some other mark. These mistakes were pointed out and the condition was down graded to "very good" condition. I never received a single complaint. Pottery was not my area of expertise but I got through it.
            Moving this example over to 8mm..... There are two ways to tackle the selling problem. The first, which is frowned upon, rightly so, by many members of this forum are the listings which say "not tested." They should be. However, even with this bare minimum, the very least one must do is to check if it has its own leaders, get a magnifying glass to examine the first few frames to spot for scratching and colour fade, and whether it smells or not. These, at least, should be mentioned. I personally would never sell a smelly or fungus ridden film.
            The second way, and in my eyes the correct way, is to run the film through a projector, noting things like, as before, colour fade, focus, sound quality, severity of scratches, whether it has tramline scratches anywhere and, if so, where on the picture and for how long? Not only that, still screenshots of the film can really help a buyer get a good idea of what to expect if he purchases the item This is in addition to the other basics mentioned above. I am sure there will be other checks I could make that forum members would point out (running times etc). If a film is badly scratched...TELL THEM! Then they will know what to expect. A bad quality film should command a 5 star "item as described" Ebay rating from a buyer who knew about it coz you mentioned it.

In this way, you may find some of your films in remarkably better condition than you anticipated and thus be able to command a higher price for them instead of shooting oneself in the foot. All it takes is just a little extra time.

I have to agree with you, Ozzie, on one point. The one about "human subjectivity." When one is dealing with the general public, one is potentially dealing with people who's personalities stretch right across the scale, and some people are just NEVER happy or are habitual complainers. One can never escape these types of people. However, as long as one is up front in ones description of an item, good or bad, that should satisfy the vast majority of people and help avoid short changing oneself with a low price just to avoid them.

Good luck with your selling.

Comment

With something that we love so much and a good number been enjoying for a lifetime I find it hard looking at listings which have pictures added captured from dvd and supposed to be a movie film for sale.
              it's happening more and more as I'm sure you will have noticed and does nothing for the longevity of our hobby.

We need to reely focus on our film fairs reopening when we are told we can and we can move on from the madness of ebay, getting down to the bigger picture of meeting collector's and looking at a film we want to buy. It is then ebay will no longer be the only option to buy for some.

Comment

Here's the listing of the day: only $799.99, marked down from $3,999.95. What a steal! (eye roll)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Invisible-M...n/164593941509

Bless his heart, but I guess you can't blame him for trying.

Comment

Ozzie did have a good point. I have ran into sellers who say, print is in good condition, you get it, and it's unadulterated crap. Good, to some folks, means not falling off reel in pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by William Ferry View Post
                    Here's the listing of the day: only $799.99, marked down from $3,999.95. What a steal! (eye roll)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Invisible-M...n/164593941509

Bless his heart, but I guess you can't blame him for trying.

The description for each film listed is simply 'comes as shown'. No screenshot or even a 'I have no projector' or 'good for it's age' type of description. Yet they recently sold the 400ft versions of 'Close Encounters' and 'Doctor Zhivago', both described as 'comes as shown', for $119.99 each!!

They also had the 80% reduction in price (as do all the films), so maybe it's the psychology of the buyer thinking they are getting a real bargain?

They also sold the castle films 'Dracula' 200ft (appears to be silent) for $99.99.

Take a look.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-Forma...te=1&LH_Sold=1

Comment

I would like to believe that I have mastered how to sell items on eBay, but I haven't, especially considering what outright junk sells for outrageous amounts.

Comment

I simply could not sqweeze people like this, selling films way above thier value so I prefer BIN.

I know another decent cine seller who refunds part of the auction if he feels its gone bit high too.

I not so long ago bought something off ebay and the some odd times seller quoted a miss sell bit of a fib push the price up from another buyer they had seen when looking what to sell thiers for IE rarity and not in the UK etc when a very common item here.

I explained etc.

They were very gracious and sold it for a fair price then.

Best Mark.

What`s a fading DR Zhivago worth $5 maybe just about $10 possibly ? or a give away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Todd View Post

I know another decent cine seller who refunds part of the auction if he feels its gone bit high too.
                          The seller should then only use the buy it now function and forget auction style sales. Auctions by their very nature are designed to get the seller the highest dollar amount by letting the bidders decide the value. I wish I ran into another seller like this- every single seller has gladly accepted my high bid when I was the winner of an auction.

Comment

Thing is Alan ebay often makes people bid beyond its worth or, and what they can afford.

They obviously employ Psychiatist`s etc, as these messages after auctions " You Missed out " or You Lost etc etc.

Its all a bit grim really. Exploitative really working like that.

But hands up I do enjoy looking through on there.

Best Mark.

Comment

We all live a life in one shape or another but some are quite vulnerable, its them I worry about when they fairly easily can click the mouse and the seller when told I made a mistake bombard the buyer with threats. It happens and very very saddening for those of us who love film watch the vultures circle on the vulnerable tarnishing film.

Comment

I used to love ebay but it's not the place it used to be.
                                Last edited by Gary Sayers; April 08, 2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X