How long will film be around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will film be around?

I must admit that I am more than just a bit puzzled by the survey we have been conducting
    here in ZoneZero regarding the expectations our audience has, regarding how long film will
    be around. By a considerable margin (60%), most of you have considered that film will be
    around forever. So let us look at some of the facts that tell us exactly the opposite.
    The quote is from an article, How long will file be around?, written by Pedro Meyer for ZoneZero in 2002.

The article is available at http://v1.zonezero.com/editorial/feb.../february.html to read / download.

I'm 55, so, long enough to enjoy all my films, as I am quite careful to store them properly. As long as you properly store, lubricate and care for your films. They should hold up well. My concern is not the films, but the projectors. The best advice that I can give is buy your favorite, well made projector, brand new, still in box, and as many available extra parts and then, only going to those projectors after you have totally used up today's work horses.

Comment

That article was from 2002. I looked as it mentioned the Foveon sensor chip, which I have not heard much of since. It was a triple layer sensor that could triple the number of pixels due to the GRB ones being one on top of another. I only remember one still camera, a Polaroid branded one being advertised.

Comment

I've a 35mm Nitrate film feature which was loaned for a dvd release printed up in 1935. Long story.

It does not smell and has been well stored here outside the home obviously. I feel cared for film will be around longer that some think, black white particularly.

Comment

Contrast, how long will the following elements last...books, toys, recordings, comicbooks and related emphrema, videotapes, digital analogs and such...? It will all last as long as someone is there to enjoy it...at the end of time, all will fleetingly vanish...Shorty

Comment

I suppose 16mm may well out live super 8 really, machine funtioning wise more than anything.

I do a bit of both, or struggle too.

But I only get the best Buzz Effect with Super 8, and used to with std 8 too.

Though I love the Quality of 16mm.

I expect its also about how long we daft buggers keep doing really too.

Best Mark.

Comment

Long after we have gone

PS. I was asked to check out some nitrate 35mm film years ago. I opened the tin was a googie mess. I contacted a friend of mine he does no about all this stuff and asked him about it. He told me its turning, turning to what I asked?, nitroglycerin keep it away from heat

35mm nitrate film I was told, is classified out here as a "explosive", If you do have a fire at home and its traced to nitrate film your insurance is void. It is advised, that if the film is rare, then transfer it to "safety film" then destroy the original. Of coarse the only people than can do that are archive people like the BFI.

Food for thought

Comment

You might find this interesting....

Comment

Well, my anscochrome color prints are now over 80 years old, and I wouldn't be surprised if they will last another good 50 years, maybe a lot longer, but those "nitro" prints are trouble! Kodachrome looks as awesome as the day it was printed, and it started up in, what 1938? But I agree that B/W film will probably be the winner!

Comment

Very good Graham! A Vital piece of information as we all should consider. Wouldn't want to hear about such past and future potential film loss but we need to hear about it...

Comment

That was very interesting Graham - and quite sad too!

Comment

Sat here Film Guarding the last 15,000ft of my film collection as you do this evening. Phew. Had a thought.. Films will last forever as images have been captured on it to preserve history, memories and entertainment also documented in many books. Physically they may fade over the decades but the memories will be passed on.

Comment

Ali

Its worth checking out you-tube for "The Glen Cinema Disaster" in Paisley.

Comment

Oh ok, I will Graham and many thanks!

I just love all these film-related postings on YouTube 😊

Comment

We produced a video a few years ago about local cinemas and the projection box fires.

One scene I set up was how flammable Nitrate film was cautioning the team to stand well back for the explosion of red hot fire. I took a match to 4ft of film and I couldn't get it to go. Yes it did say Nitrate down the edge.
                              It took around 30 seconds to ignight but once away quite a rapid burn of crackling film and a bit sparky.

Comment

Working...
                              X