No announcement yet.

The 1980s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the Universal studio film include the Battlestar Galactica part of the tour? I wonder if it existed at that time? The early 80's, up to 84, were the last of my kid years, 18 in 84, and some of that 70's "vibe" spilled over into the 80's, and so, these times are very fond in my memory. I'm sure that some would disagree, but I feel like the last bits of innocency ended by the early 80's. That is, most of the "evils" of society that are commonplace today, were just really beginning to come to the forefront at that time.

Comment

A Film Evening running an old 1927 Ernemann 2 Cinema 35mm Projector". on Vimeo
      https://vimeo.com
      In this digital age its really nice to take a step back every so often and watch what was once was the norm of film presentation at the cinema. All this projection…

How true.

Comment

This is all reminding me of an ELO track (Ticket to the Moon?)
        "Remember the good old 1980's
        When life wasn't so complicated."

Comment

Now that looks familiar Lee

Comment

The only film I have ever watched at the cinema that I nearly walked out of, I thought at the time, that this is boring. I think at the time it was a rush job to make its cinema release. Today however the much improved "directors cut" version is brilliant, and so is the soundtrack.

Comment

One more from the 1980s and again the music by Vangelis. This was one film that during the 80s, I really did enjoy going to the cinema to watch

I have it on 16mm, must sit back and watch it again

"Chariots Of Fire" was a big hit at the cinema when it was released.

Comment

Projected the DVD the other night, hopefully one day it will appear on blu-ray. In my mind "Arthur" is right up there on the top of the list, as one of my favorite films watched at the cinema during the 80s many moons ago.

I did come across this LP of late and had a listen to it again just the other night brilliant.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190889 (1).JPG
Views:	260
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	36984

Name:	P1190890.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	36985

Comment

I loved the soundtrack to "Chariots of Fire". What so impressed me about that soundtrack is that it is a synth soundtrack, very modern, and yet, it is a period film and yet, it fits so naturally.

Comment

Who remembers this one from the 80s Its amazing how music takes you back to a time and place for me, now long gone. Over the years, in fact everywhere in both the motor trade or aviation, we always had a radio going at work. It was always a must to have music coming from somewhere. This particular number reminds be of those long hour summer night shifts working on aircraft. "Little Lies" was a huge hit at the time and was played on the radio lots. It still is a favorite of mine, but as I say it still jolts my memory back to those times .

Comment

Come On Eileen, Centerfold, The Safety Dance, The Stroke, My Sharona .... GREAT rock/pop tunes!!!

Comment

From 1982....

Comment

This came up on Facebook, I think making one would be a brilliant idea

Name:	337121105_673416124542729_5310083785804402412_n.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	77125

Comment

Flight of the navigator was a pretty darned good film. Didn't pander so much to the children to make parents dis-interested, and had enuf fun elements, like time travel, to make it fun for adult interest. Although I still like the film, the last Starfighter is hopelessly dated. A big landmark film for it's time, but if there was ever a film that would benefit from a completely new special effects rework, it's this one. My kids watch this and just laugh, " dad, the graphics are worse than a bad PC game graphics ".

Comment

1980 Film Trailer Compilation

WOW!! 1980 was a great year for movies!! I have seen ALL of these and i even own about 90% of them. I'm glad you decided to do them in alphabetical order, although I was wondering why you didn't include 'Terror Train', with Jamie Lee Curtis. Growing up at the drive-in, and being a film buff and collector i knew what most of these were even before they showed the movie title. These were the good old days when trailers showed you just enough highlights to get you hooked WITHOUT giving away the entire movie. The editors that make trailers today need to go back and watch trailers like this so they can learn how to do a trailer properly. Job well done!! i enjoyed this!!
                              The trash and the triumphs, the cults and the merely cultish, the daring and the dreck, the blockbusters and the bombs, the art and the artifice - it's all here in this beautiful collection which represents what is, for many with living memories of the period, an iconic and transitional year between two decades which couldn't be more diametrically opposed in aesthetics, sensibility and politics. Al Pacino zipped in fetish leather. Richard Gere swathed in pastel Giorgio Armani (and analogue Giorgio Moroder). Neil Diamond in Lurex, Angie in the shower, Redford in aviators and Eastwood in Levis. Irene Cara eased into Danksin. Sissy Spacek in Holly Hobbie. Blood, guts, goofballs, greatness and proto-yuppies. Will there ever be another year like this?
                              Now here is a challenge! Over two hours of trailers from 1980. Unfortunately, the trailers are not separated by chapter marks...

Comment

I notice there seems to be a bit more of a come back with music cassette these days, so have started to listen to some of the old ones I have not heard in a long while.

This Dear John late 1980s was very popular on TV at the time

It was made in NZ would you believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X