Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read with interest all the above comments . I have to say I have been buying from Phil for years, he has always been more than fair with his prices , when there has been an issue he has given me a credit note and an apology.
    I take my hat off to CHC , running a business today is no easy task , particularly a business so niche as this. I know I have been there , (bakery) ,and thank god I am now retired.
    There is always a few who like to criticise , I suggest to those , why don’t you go out there and throw a few grand at the next collection that comes available and see how you get on!
    I shall continue to support Phil and wish him all the best for 2022.
    John

Comment

There is a great deal of rough and smooth with buying film collections John.

Some will head south very quickly as you go through, others will be great.

There are still many collectors who will sell reasonably too on purpose for the hobby.

I think I`ve mentioned this but a friend of mine bought a very nice 5 x 600 Derann LF feature not so long ago, privately.

All the seller asked was that it was for him to keep an enjoy that that it would not go on ebay.

They knew they were getting less than ebay but wanted it to go to a proper collector.

The whole film thing is nuts anyway really.

But there are many other daft bloke hobbies just as nuts and some even worse.

Best Mark.

Comment

I must reply to the negative comments posted here about the Blackpool weekend, the worst comments made by people who where not even there, they keep promising to go but never do, so there seems to be hints of sour grapes from people who are not qualifide to comment, you know who you are. Comments about the convention dinner food being like cafe food
        all judged by looking at a photo or two on the forums, a very clever way to pass judgement I think not, I ate the dinner and it was excellent and all the diners I spoke to said it was very enjoyable. Comments about there being less people and dealers there,what could you expect with covid still around. Moans about Classic Home Cinema getting the lions share of the trade while other dealers stood around, again what can you expect phil had the best selection films for sale so naturally collectors flocked to his stall, comments about deals done by CHC before the official start time are just plain wrong, I helped carry Phils stock into the dealers room and any one asking about the films for sale were told to come back after 10am the official start time.Grumbles about Phil advertising films for sale at the Convention first instead of on his lists don't wash,He's trying to help promote The Blackpool convention which is more than can be said of some of you anyway they are Phil's movies and he can sell them where and when he wants. The prices for CHC's features are still by and large cheaper than you will find on e-bay and the comments that he paid peanuts for these films is not so, he pays better money than other dealers thats why he has them for sale and others don't, if he wants to invite offers for some films then again he's at liberty to do so, their his, and if you don't like it show it by not bidding.
        I hope people who read these posts are not put off from going to the Convention there still is a lot more positive comments from people who actually go, especially from those who join in from Friday through Sunday, than there are negative comments.A lot of good people put in time and effort to make the Blackpool Convention what it is and even more make the effort to go, what about you lot?

Comment

Hi all,

I actually thought those pictures of the dinners looked very appetizing. Then again I loved school dinners as well. (Yummy!)

I thought the comments in general seemed fair and quite positive - its peoples right of opinion after all and some who posted are experienced collectors after all who have been stung in the past. I reckon if peeps want to pay £300...£500...or £1000 for 20 or 30 minutes of film its certainly their prerogative.

Its certainly lovely to see all the "old lads" of cine having a gathering of any kind isn't it so that needs to be applauded...many are now in their 80's and 90's arent they.

Well done all - stay warm and safe and make sure you lads get your boosters and flu jabs.

Cheerio. LOL!

Comment

David - I was there - although very few people seem to remember who I actually am ! I've supported this hobby since I was 13yrs of age and I'm 55 now and I'm still buying - I even bought from Mr Sheard on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post
              Mark

People have to live. What do you want spacesuits like the movie Contagion. There’s a film recommendation for you. Masks don’t stop COVID If you can smell perfume or body odour while wearing your mask they don’t work. Fear and hysteria about the virus is more likely to make you sick or kill you either physically or mentally.

More people die from cancer or heart disease every day than would kill people in a month with COVID.

99% of those who get COVID recover and live. The vast majority of those who die or aged over 85 or have underlying medical issues known or unknown or have been vastly exposed to the virus in a stressful environment while working in emergency services.
              Yes, the masks mainly stop water droplets containing the virus pass, so if you cough or sneeze the distance the virus would spread from where you are is greatly reduced and should drop to the floor before infecting someone else. They are top protect others not the wearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post

Yes, the masks mainly stop water droplets containing the virus pass, so if you cough or sneeze the distance the virus would spread from where you are is greatly reduced and should drop to the floor before infecting someone else. They are top protect others not the wearer.
                I think an electric cattle prod would be much more beneficial and therapeutic for the giver plus enforcing social distancing of 2 metres.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Campey View Post
                  I think what people have to remember is when collections are bought there is a bit of risk, I remember David guest once buying a film collection on 16mm and most of them had no front and end titles and lots of damage and I don't think he made much money at all. I bought 3 prints and had to return them. one was a bandsaw print and the others were so scratched they looked like someone had been at them with a Brillo pad. Also if Phil had not been at Blackpool with all those prints I don't think many collectors would have visited the film fair so his attendance helped with its success.
                  Those prints like pinky’s should be binned not resold to other collectors.

Comment

From the first post.
                    We weren't really aware of the make an offer thing from the other end of the room which seems perhaps um peculiar. Something I would walk away from not wanting to get drawn into the machine.
                    Beloved and myself try to put a price sticker on everything and typically reduce a bit for anyone who has travelled a long way making the extra effort to support events. Sort of a mutual understanding of effort I guess having travelled much myself in the past around the country.

We as you do love this thing called film and it was the most wonderful event which I'm sure will happen next year and I will be supporting the superb team effort. I see what you are saying Phil but don't forget the rest of the room who had priced its items for a level playing field for all. No one can guarantee to have what a collector hopes to find. I've been to Ealing travelling nearly 600 miles round trip empty handed before now then next year bring 6 carrier bags back on the train!
                    Nature of the beasty

Comment

Sorry lee, I was not knocking you or the other Dealers, it's just that if you're after a rare print thats listed it's going to attract a lot of interest. As you know I came along to your film fair as I was interested in one of your HID projectors and was lucky enough to buy one from you, and I am very pleased with it thanks.

Comment

Have you any footage of one of your HID machines running Lee and the picture ?

I don`t know if it will show up OK etc but be interested to see one in action and how the image looks.

While I am on someone said to me we are maybe OK again RE Halogen lamps in the UK for now, anyone know ? more on that please.

Thanks Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
                          Beloved and myself try to put a price sticker on everything and typically reduce a bit for anyone who has travelled a long way making the extra effort to support events.
                          ​​​​​​Indeed, and thanks for that !

Comment

I had a tirade of abuse from a certain dealer yesterday - all sent to my home email address - suffice to say - from now on I will buy elsewhere.

Comment

I have known Phil many years, traded and bought from him without a hitch...helped him and Denise load-in at Blackpool, they are good friends...bought several choice shorts and novelties (prices are what they are in keeping with standards of such items, you can't find alot of these particulars and I'm more than glad too pay the fair price)...CHC is quite excellent, as are Phil and Denise...I say God Bless and thank you...Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by David Skillern View Post
                                I had a tirade of abuse from a certain dealer yesterday - all sent to my home email address - suffice to say - from now on I will buy elsewhere.
                                That’s seem to be par for the course with him. You will not miss him. I note from a previous response there is still no refund policy. A credit note is issued for all problems . So if you buy a feature are not happy you could be out £300 until you see another title on his list.

Remember, being tagged along for months and just bought anything to get free.

I remember Phil being recommended by three collector friends and in time they all found him out even his fellow mason who thought he had a special relationship.

Comment

Working...
                                X