Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of the day Phil Sheard is a business man. He has a shop to run, which I’m sure doesn’t come cheap, unlike most people that sell on eBay he has VAT to pay. From what I know and what I have seen of the man he works bloody hard. If you don’t like what he does then don’t buy off him. I love film and was a projectionist for most of my working life, if I think a film is far to expensive I just won’t buy it. I’m sure most of the people that have run the Blackpool convention in the past do it to make money, so why not the dealers.
    So give Phil Sheard a break, he runs the last film shop in the country and without him we would be up s**t creak without a paddle.

Comment

I understand what you mean Clive , but there is a big difference between being a buisness man and unfairly exploiting someone . I too know of some disturbing stories about dealings , the first time was a friend of mine who I had recommended CHC to him as he wanted to sell a modest but nice collection ,with some desirable titles,. I was unable to purchase them as I was in Ireland at the time , and he did not have the time or inclination to ebay them. I was shocked at the pound a reel across the board offer he received . My friend was not too happy with me as he is no fool and knew their value , He expected something a little more realistic .Since then , the tales keep coming , including a very poor after service with regards an expensive projector purchase that basically didn't work , I saw this first hand. Not good .
      Also , despite Phil claiming to be the only film shop in Britain , there is still Umit and Sons in London and a great little emporium of film and all things film related shop in Bridport , Dorset .

Comment

Ok Murray I stand being corrected. I can only speak of Phil as I have found him and I didn’t know about the other 2 businesses, pity they don’t go to Blackpool or make themselves known in the film world, or am I not looking in the right place.

Comment

I have always supported and bought from all the dealers - Phil included - but what I was told before I went to Blackpool on Friday did leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Comment

The simple solution to this is to keep your partner informed of what your collection is worth, that way any dealer won’t get away with offering low prices for a collection.

Comment

Superb businessman. Buys for pennies with stories he doing you a favour by buying your films then inflates them when selling has the gall to put them in new white boxes with a scanned image to give the impression they are new. When really they are 30-40 years old. Anything he buys he is consistent he doesn’t check or project ANYTHING just tells you it is brill or mint. ANYTHING wrong with your purchase not his fault it’s yours. No customer service. If daft to pay with cash go whistle.

Goes to a film convention. First in two years deliberately leaks big list of features he is only selling at Blackpool so screw loyal customers who get his lists or go to onto web site. He doesn’t care about them on iota.

He cynically knows collectors have come hundreds sometimes thousands of miles to attend the film convention with the intention of Buying film . What does he do. No firm sale prices. Have a make me an offer. How high will you go? If memory serves me it is not the 1st time he tried that comedy routine at a convention.

At a film convention you had a stall you sold at fixed prices. If you want make me an offer that’s to put items in the auction.

In Derann’s days of operating the Blackpool convention it would not have been tolerated. He would have been put in his place or told to sling his hook.

Obviously, there are no rules now a more pay your money take your chance carnival approach is in full operation for all buyers.

Blackpool is a great place to meet fellow collectors and energise the hobby before it becomes a circus maybe the way forward is for it to become more like the US convention a social meeting, dinner and film shows of releases and leave the dealers at home with film sales for the internet and postal lists.

Last edited by Mike Newell; November 23, 2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

As well as telling them the value you can downsize via eBay before you go. Also, write down multiple copies of Independent 8 Paul Foster and Perry’s addresses and phone numbers and leave a note who NOT to contact.🙄

Comment

Sounds like a good event!

The "tills" must have been alive with the sound of ..."kerchinging....all the way back yo my home town of Cleethorpes...!!!!" Lol.

These stories of inflated prices remind me of others too that use to "tie their horses" up at the street corner and pay peanuts to valuable film collections...it seemed to be the way they(some) did it back in the hey day.

I'm pleased I'm long out of it....you seriously want your head testing to pay some of the crazy prices that have been seen on ebay these days for features!!

Anyway, after the pandemic, it must have been nice for a few of the "filmie" old "boys" that must be getting along in years now to have met up.

Best to all.... Yippeee Ky aaaay!!!....galloping off on horse...to buy up a film collection somewhere!

Comment

Mark, remember to wear your mask and have a serious face on you when buying a collection. Remember to mention pinking, deadly chemicals on films, asbestos in projectors brexit, covid incoming meteors from outer space when discussing pricing.

Also bring a very large sack of £1 coins. Makes it easier when they cant lift the bundle of cash you are giving them.

A somber doom laden sidekick would add to the proceedings.

Attached Files

Comment

LOL!!!

Comment

I must admit I really enjoyed the blackpool pictures, and glad people had a good time.

But I was very surprised people were not all wearing FFP2 or KN95 masks.

My Cousin has just lost a friend to Covid and that chaps daughter had it so bad she was put in a medical coma and now needs to actually carry a small oxygen tank probably for the rest of her life and he is very far from old.

I wear a mask when I drive even as so many puffing cyclists pull up next to you at junctions etc.

But lets hope all are OK and well who were there.

If Phil has done really well on this collection and it was a sad purchase if you will, he will maybe send a bit extra afterwards.

To be fair you can never quite tell with a film collections sometimes.

Best Mark.

Comment

I think what people have to remember is when collections are bought there is a bit of risk, I remember David guest once buying a film collection on 16mm and most of them had no front and end titles and lots of damage and I don't think he made much money at all. I bought 3 prints and had to return them. one was a bandsaw print and the others were so scratched they looked like someone had been at them with a Brillo pad. Also if Phil had not been at Blackpool with all those prints I don't think many collectors would have visited the film fair so his attendance helped with its success.

Comment

no one knows what I paid for the 4 collections I put into Blackpool. I pay hundreds for top prints, not the stupid amounts quoted above by some zombies. After 33 years in business, most sellers come to us and have done their homework, .. they take the best offer.. and thats what we try to do. Those who were not there at Blackpool should grow up, get the chip off their shoulders and enjoy the hobby, . If anyone has features at £20 and shorts at £1 please offer them, because they dont exist. I can sell films on ebay for top dollar just like any other money grabber. I dont do that, and try to give you a deal. Try and understand, and less of the foolishness please.

Comment

Mark

People have to live. What do you want spacesuits like the movie Contagion. There’s a film recommendation for you. Masks don’t stop COVID If you can smell perfume or body odour while wearing your mask they don’t work. Fear and hysteria about the virus is more likely to make you sick or kill you either physically or mentally.

More people die from cancer or heart disease every day than would kill people in a month with COVID.

99% of those who get COVID recover and live. The vast majority of those who die or aged over 85 or have underlying medical issues known or unknown or have been vastly exposed to the virus in a stressful environment while working in emergency services.
                              Last edited by Mike Newell; November 24, 2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Not so sure round here Mike that poor lady is fairly young.

I know of a local girl of 17 no issues at all in hospital twice fighting for her life with Covid but she did survive.

We had a 38 years old family member in a right state too. Hes in to body building etc.

I struggle as I don`t do hospitals whatever, already nearly cost me my life.

Saying that I`ve not been in a cafe or cinema or anything like that for over 20 years so don`t work too well with dealing with Covid worry myself anyway.

Years since I actually touched money with my skin.

But I digress.

In this area I know someone who lives near to the Hospital ( well 30 miles from here ) and they have have seen the storage units put there to cope with the Covid sadly passed people. A lot.

Its around 100 children in the UK so far.

I do know a forum member who travelled a few times with Covid possitive taxi driver, both wore masks and he did not catch it.

But they do whatever reduce your viral load and how ill you do get.

I think a few did wear them at the do.

Best Mark.

Comment

Working...
                                X