No announcement yet.

Things We Accumulate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all seem to accumulate things that we used perhaps once and then hang onto 'in case we need it' and rarely ever do. We're moving to be near our son and, after 80 years of living are having to evaluate what we really need and what should find another home. Sold my beloved Fumeo. It seemed to be getting heavy and, apart from my home movies and a few cartoons, it had little use. Now I have my 16mm set up to enjoy and it looks like I shall have a film room in the new bungalow. The problem one faces is of enjoying your hobby to the end while hearing she who must be obeyed saying 'I don't know what I shall do with all this stuff when you're gone', and doing a good job of making you feel guilty for holding on to it. Leonard, I feel for you in your difficult situation. When my Mother died at 43 my dad couldn't face sorting her things. Most were left untouched for years. So many memories are represented by things that have no value to anyone else. Take things easy and get out and about with family and friends. The raw edges will soften and, once you begin to cope with a new and different way of life, you'll find it possible to be reminded of memories and happier days without falling apart. Hope all goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Groves View Post
      Leonard, I feel for you in your difficult situation. When my Mother died at 43 my dad couldn't face sorting her things. Most were left untouched for years. So many memories are represented by things that have no value to anyone else. Take things easy and get out and about with family and friends. The raw edges will soften and, once you begin to cope with a new and different way of life, you'll find it possible to be reminded of memories and happier days without falling apart. Hope all goes well.
      Thank you so much for your kind words and advice Dave. Best wishes, Len.

Comment

my sincere condolences Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Antoine Orsero View Post
          my sincere condolences Leonard
          Thank you so much Antoine, it's comforting to know that so many people care. Best wishes, Len.

Comment

Back in the summer of 2018 both of my parents passed away within three weeks of each other of illness And old age it was an extremely difficult time for our family especially for me since I lived in the home with them from the day they brought me home as an infant to the day when they lost their lives in their own home

I immediately began packing up my own things as I prepared for a move to Florida where I am now very happy and all of the above is behind me

my sisters and brother took on the job of sorting through all of what they had and I knew leaving the house would be no easy task for them or anyone else and I must say I am pleased that I was not part of the major clean out of the house for emotional reasons

only those who have gone through this sort of thing know what it's like and if you haven't yet you will get your turn

make the decisions at a time of need and then focus on your own future and personal life and do the best that you can

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Gelmini View Post
              Back in the summer of 2018 both of my parents passed away within three weeks of each other of illness And old age it was an extremely difficult time for our family especially for me since I lived in the home with them from the day they brought me home as an infant to the day when they lost their lives in their own home

I immediately began packing up my own things as I prepared for a move to Florida where I am now very happy and all of the above is behind me

my sisters and brother took on the job of sorting through all of what they had and I knew leaving the house would be no easy task for them or anyone else and I must say I am pleased that I was not part of the major clean out of the house for emotional reasons

only those who have gone through this sort of thing know what it's like and if you haven't yet you will get your turn

make the decisions at a time of need and then focus on your own future and personal life and do the best that you can

Thank you for the advice Chip, much appreciated. Best wishes, Len.

Comment

Melvin's point about clearing things out is well taken. Thinking about the time required to do the job right has only caused me to put it off. I should do a little bit every day (every other day?) to get this started.

Doug

Comment

I feel for you Dave. Was similar for me when both my parents left us just a few years ago and I found all the films made with Dad I couldn't face watching being close. It never goes but it does get better and so in the last couple of years I started watching my family efforts and it quickly made me scan them as some have are now showing age going blotchy, particularly the 70's 160asa stuff. I'm just about at the end of transferring them now and its been a joy to see them still living as it were, the power of film of course.

God bless and look after yourself.

Comment

My Dad was a big 35mm photographer: slides to be specific.

When I declared myself a Super-8 filmmaker as a 16 year old: he was a little skeptical at first, but he warmed to the idea as he realized that my passion had a lot of overlap with his. We'd go places with our cameras and later on have projectors side by side too. When he went out to buy film, sometimes he'd grab a cartridge or two for me as well.

The consequence is when I screen films I made in my teens these days, Dad keeps drifting into frame with his Yashica, a full head of dark hair and a good ten years less than I have now! (This is an excellent way to feel OLD!)

When I cleaned out my parents' house a few years ago I grabbed his slides and found a place to fix his slide projector too. I haven't been able to spend time with my Dad 15 years now, but at least we still share a screen!

Comment

Working...
                    X