Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this mainly to see Neill, Dern, and Goldblum back. The story was ok. But there was plenty of action and enough dinosaurs to help me eat some popcorn.

Comment

Hi all,

I've just this minute got back from Florida - boy was it hot...and so much violence going on!! The overall prices on nearly everything food and drink wise was more expensive - I'm talking about off park and at the north end of I drive which has not had the restoration that the other end has. It was cheaper to eat and drink in the U.K. The whole place outside of the theme Parks was staring to look extremely "tired and run down".

Anyway, my son and I watched Jurassic World Dominion on its day of release in the extremely comfortable Cine-mark, Cinema on City Walk. Full leather recliners and an IMAX screen. (that was good value at approx £20 for 2 amazing seats.

Whilst the film was enjoyable in a "roller-coaster" kind of way...which it really was with sounds from the headrest!! Lol...it was a disappointment generally. Enjoyable enough in its own way...I reckon this will definitely be the LAST one!.

Cheers all.

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark

I think any building outside the theme parks that lasts over 20 years would be considered an ancient relic. Remember Church Street in Orlando was buzzing in the 1990s and was like an apocalyptic zombie 🧟‍♂️ movie zone by early 2000s. I would say COVID has hit tourist numbers big time and affected redevelopment.

Remember being there in July the humidity and heat are killers. September/ October is a better time to visit but for some reason UK visitors go in the mad summer months.

I remember having a cold day in Florida when we went to Clearwater ( no wasn’t visiting Tom Cruise and his buddies ) I felt like a different country.

Least you have comeback to some heat in UK.

Comment

I've just this minute got back from Florida - boy was it hot...and so much violence going on!! The overall prices on nearly everything food and drink wise was more expensive - I'm talking about off park and at the north end of I drive which has not had the restoration that the other end has. It was cheaper to eat and drink in the U.K. The whole place outside of the theme Parks was staring to look extremely "tired and run down".

Anyone visiting Florida this time of year can expect intolerable heat and humidity, but despite this the hoards keep coming from the UK, other parts of the USA, and the rest of the World.
          I remember when I had my first visit to Orlando in 1966 it was a charming laid back town, surrounded by miles and miles of citrus trees. Crime was non-existent and the people were all southern hospitality. Disney changed all that. Not their fault, but suddenly the area became a cash cow for a lot of developers who paid under the table to corrupt local politicians to get the land they wanted. The orange groves were bulldozed and the wetlands drained to make room for hundreds of thousands of apartment buildings and houses. Now the area is like Los Angeles with all the people, traffic, and crime that goes with it. The lakes, rivers, and glorious Indian River Lagoon are now all irretrievably polluted, and the Manatees are being decimated because the seagrass, which is their primary food source, can no longer grow.
          50 years ago Lake Apopka , with its crystal clear blue water, was the Bass fishing capital of the world. Now it is a huge green polluted lake with about 10 feet of Toxic mud on the bottom, devoid of anything living. The Everglades are similarly polluted, and have also become the home of many invasive species such as Pythons and Iguanas, which you do'nt want to get close to. The Coral reefs are dying all around south Florida because of ocean pollution.
          All this is the result of greed and environmental neglect by several decades of corrupt state and local politicians who have had essentially free reign to do whatever they wanted to make big money for themselves.
          Florida is now largely ruined as a beautiful place to live and visit. That, along with the significant chance of being the victim of a random shooting or mass shooting event, makes it IMO not a desirable place to vacation anymore.
          Sad I know, but true.

Back on topic, my grandson who is a great Jurassic Park fan, went to see Dominion and thought it was only mildly interesting, essentially a big disappointment.
          Last edited by Paul Adsett; June 21, 2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

That quote from Noel Coward about midday sun comes to mind lol.

I remember being based in Kissimmee in 1993 and it being very quiet and quaint. Walking from hotel to the “Old Town”at night when that Elvis memorabilia museum was based there. I don’t think I would contemplate walking about at night now.

Comment

Hi all,

that is a perfect summation Paul.

I remember the great welcome you and your family gave ne and my family back in July 2005...boy where have the years gone...it seems like yesterday?

I do hope your family are well. My smallest son Harry is now 6ft 3...it was he and I that travelled this year.

Florida has been my favorite - alongside Memphis - holiday destination. This year It was my pleasure to meet some great locals - decent people from my generation working 2-3 jobs to make needs meet. I was stunned to see average 1 bed apartments at rental prices of $1600-2000 a month! Yikes.

It was great to go back in many ways - I stayed in the same hotel, Rosen Inn on I drive ( the old quality inn) it was extremely worn and tired yet the staff worked hard. Iv'e had some great memories associated with Florida... and really it has been down to the great people I have met there and remained friends with,

I'll try and put a couple of pics up on a separate thread next week.

I did manage to have a singing gig whilst there - the good old "Murphys Bar".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIS...GEHgn19eYuoOag

The most interesting large scale sign I saw on IDrive said this - " Machine gun America" shoot machine guns - great fun for all the family from $24.99 per day...with a smiling and delighted family next to it holding targets! Yikes - totally genuine sign. (I'll post the pic of it next week)

Mike - as I know you are an Elvis an like myself it would be great to get your feedback on the new movie that's due out today. I wont be able to see it until next week...from what I have heard...it paints Colonel Parker as the villain.

Take care all.

Mark

I have worked in Mental Health for 21 years I am also passionate about Classic “ Rock n Roll” and playing guitar. Big fan of UK music pioneer, Marty Wilde👍...

Comment

I once ate a tuna sandwich, that's as on topic as any recent posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                  I once ate a tuna sandwich, that's as on topic as any recent posts.
                  Think everyone has made their decision on this movie.

I’ve ate a tuna sandwich too once. You weren’t by any chance watching Jurassic World Dominion whilst eating your tuna sandwich? Hate to have been beside you in the cinema. Mind you popcorn and tuna both smell pretty yucky to me. 🤢

Comment

I'm sure future members doing research on both tuna & Florida will be upset that posts concerning Jurassic World Dominion somehow snuck in here. I'm going to close this and if anyone wants to starts a new thread about one of those three things, feel free.

Comment

Working...
                    X