No announcement yet.

Your Today in Pictures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graham, by the looks of all that stuff on the workshop shelf in addition to life's two essentials (duct tape and WD-40), it occurred to me that it may be time for an intervention. Maybe this video will help:

Comment

• So true Ed

Last year I did tell Yvonne I was going to have a clean out in particular with 35mm prints, all good stuff I should add, but it was time to let go I contacted a fellow forum member here who was happy to take them. I filled the car right up with films, told Yvonne see, I am getting rid of stuff "she was proud of me" and drove of to his secret location and shipping container After unloading the films, this certain forum member did say, do you want to have a look around the shipping container, which I did.

The downside is, I left with almost the same number of films in which I arrived ,when I got home I did not let on to my better half what I had just done, so kept the films in the car, later I sneaked out when I thought the coast was clear, and quickly unloaded the films onto the same shelves that I had cleared earlier that morning.

I had achieved "nothing" in the way of getting rid of stuff that day,.... such is life.

This is the garage at the moment, its certainly true we do accumulate all kinds of stuff through the years that we will never use again, in particular tools from my motor/aviation days. Interesting that I kept my tool trolley from my Mt Cook days, when I started with them everyone had to build there own. The company supplied the steel the wood, the wheels and a 4 inch vice all you had to do was weld it up and paint it. I used to wheel it around all over the place in the hanger. When the place closed we were allowed to keep them. Its built like a tank and great for use as a mobile work bench, but these days, like so much stuff its got of little use now.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220987.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	53236

Name:	P1220986.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	53237

Name:	P1220984.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	53238
      See I can get one car in

Name:	P1220983.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	53239

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
        ...its certainly true we do accumulate all kinds of stuff through the years that we will never use again
        For me, it is just easier to store crap, rather than dispose of it. Then there is the stuff with "sentimental value" that is so hard to let go. I still have the electric model train set I got for Christmas when I was a little boy. And how can I part with those 8mm films I was given when I was a child? After all, I still have all those old 8mm projectors stuffed into closets around the house!

Speaking of projectors, is that a 16mm projector I see in the photo above (2nd picture from the top)? You're not going to throw that out are you? I only have one 16mm projector and it is a hand crank Keystone. I might need another machine.

Comment

• Hi Ed.... I was given that old B/H 16mm projector from the primary school my kids went to years ago. Its been years since they last used it, so my thinking was hopefully to fix it, along with the wooden case and get it running again. Those old B/H projectors were well made machines, but its had a hard life, but will see what I can do with it in getting it going once again.

You do get attached to certain things, that green toolbox in the above photo and below has been with me for over 50 years. I cant part with it, It came out with me to NZ in 1973 and was used everywhere I went.

I to had a train set when I was young "Hornby" and later gave it away to a friend of mine when I came out to NZ. I found out in later years his sister gave it to her son, and I gather its still around to this day. I was surprised that it was known as "Hammy train set" my nickname long ago, Graham being my first name, also heard that it had been well looked after I am glad others got enjoyment out of it as I did long ago.

That green tool box once again

Name:	pict52 2321.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	53284

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	8B2FAE01-4F0A-4153-94D6-265285786DCE.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	53344 My brother knows Blade Runner is one of my favorite things, so for Christmas he drew me this awesome framed artwork!

Comment

• After a sunny day we had a good sunset. With a few signs that air traffic is getting back to normal.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3846.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.1 KB ID:	53470

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3849.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.5 KB ID:	53471

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3845.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.7 KB ID:	53473

Kind of a young tradition around here:

My wife and I are both fans of the Winter Olympics, so since she gave my an Epson VP five years ago we've enjoyed key parts of them up on the big screen. This was the second time, so it's officially a tradition! Tonight was the opening ceremony: she's holding out for figure skating and I'm looking forward to bobsled. We both agree on skiing and snowboarding.

We have 22 feet of temporary HDMI cabling running from the cable TV box to where my projectors and audio live and it will stay that way until the closing ceremonies. We don't normally big-screen broadcast TV: doing this is reserved for something very special.

What's interesting is there is still film involved here. This whole setup evolved from a single Super-8 sound projector and a big screen 17 years ago. After that an external sound system was added, then video projection and then 16mm (-note the unusual sequence!). The thing is that ground of that sound system is through that same Super-8 sound projector and everything else interfaces to the sound system, so all during the opening ceremonies, one Elmo sound machine was there doing its part.
                Last edited by Steve Klare; February 04, 2022, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	7CE08136-607B-4B6B-B32D-168BB94825D8.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	53539

Comment

• Steve

Great to see the reaction from competitors at the end of the snowboarding .

Plus "one" very happy lady getting her gold .

Comment

• Out and about yesterday when on our way home filled up at the petrol station when I saw this I couldn't help myself and went straight over and asked the owner if he would like to swap for our Starlet ha ha. As an X motor mechanic from a million years ago I tend to "drool" when I see this type of thing The owner and I had a quick chat and Yvonne asked permission to take a couple of photos.

The owner was great to talk to and happy to talk to me about his jeep. so you never know what you will come across when you are out and about

Name:	20220216_125858.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	54604

Name:	20220216_125911.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	54605

Name:	20220216_125928.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	54606

Name:	20220216_125937.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	54607

Comment

• That's an ideal auto restoration project Graham! Something as common as dirt, that was built to literally go through a war and also has a lot of personality and history. Nobody out there ever says "What's a 'Jeep'?".

-fun to drive, too!

Comment

• He told me how a friend of his rolled up to a bank with his mock machine gun still on it, and caused an immediate police call out, so now they have to keep that kind of thing covered up

Comment

• I had a Jeep like that when I was in the Army. They are so fun to drive! Speaking of vehicles, I just got an email today:
                            These are fender skirts. In style for cars of the 50s and 60s. Fender skirts and a continental kit with a tire in it on the back bumper. Those were the days to cruise. Replacing one could be pricey in those days. Somewhat of a pain if you had a flat tire on a rear wheel.

Name:	boat1.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	54633
                            Attached Files

Comment

• This afternoon, now its time for a break loading ET....for a future screening .

Reel one...plus added "Super 8 the Movie" flat trailer, plus "The Water Horse" also flat. We screened "The Water Horse" at the cinema, good film and mostly filmed here in NZ.

Name:	P1240216.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	55990
                              Still reel one plus leader and a couple of trailers.... Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240218.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	55991
                              Reel two plus the rest I keep on a larger reel, only one splice required to put the full feature together.

Name:	P1240221.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	55992

Name:	P1240222.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	55993

Comment

• Spring is HERE!

(...well, -almost!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Amarylis.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	56094

-Can you see it?

OK, it's not literally the season (We are about 10 days out and it's snowing right now...), but what's best called a "sign of spring". That tiny pale green thumb is the first growth of my Amaryllis plant for this year. Somehow, in the majesty of Nature itself, this potted plant inside a pitch-dark closet down in someone's heated basement just knew it was time to get back in the growth business! Every year about the beginning of December I cut it down to the level of the bulb, stop watering it and leave it in the dark to rest. Every so often I pay it a visit and see how it's doing. For a long time it usually does absolutely nothing, but this morning I saw that first growth and decided it was time to rejoin the living (-one year I found it about a foot tall and bleached white from the darkness: you can't fight that!). Now it's standing in a window and later I'll water it.

In a couple of weeks it can go back out on the porch and put on a show all summer!
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2377.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	56095
                                -as Laurel and Hardy put it: Mighty oaks from little acorns grow!

Comment

Working...
                                X