No announcement yet.

Odeon Weston-super-Mare To Close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday the Compton organ may have been played for the last time. Who knows what will happen to it.
    Click to see and hear this fabulous instrument. Not sure of the date but it was obviously Christmas time.
    The cinema closes on 5th June.
    Weston-super-Mare Odeon Organ - YouTube

Comment

Hopefully the Theatre Organ Club and the C.T.A. will do their utmost to see that it is retained. There are not that many about these days. From the photos of the cinema and comments from Maurice, it would not be too difficult to restore it to its original condition. It would be a real asset to the town and a tourist attraction as well. I hope the local council have the foresight to realise this.Ken Finch.☺️

Comment

Another piece of useless information I have found out.
        Back on the opening night in 1935 a young organist of the name of Alfred Richards who, in honour of his appointment, composed a song for the occasion. This song went on to be used throughout the entire odeon circuit, as the odeon's signature tune. ‘Around the corner at the Odeon’.
        This song is quite difficult to track down. The only version I can find of it, It is being played by Donald Mackenzie at the Odeon Leicester Square on the Compton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWnP5GYJ2E

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	81162

Comment

When I was a young lad in the 40s we sang with the organ
          "We come along on Saturday mornings
          greeting everybody with a smile
          because we know it's so worthwhile"

Can't remember any more.

My Saturday pocket money went a long way then, Stalls 4d, Circle 7d. (d is old pence, 240 to the GB pound £)

The house tabs shown in the picture are probably silk. At the back of the stage there were more tabs in front of the perforated screen, they were called screen tabs. Perforations were for the rear loud speakers. Screens were regularly replaced due to the cigarette smoke nicotine gradually blocking the perforations causing low sound levels.

Comment

Working...
          X