No announcement yet.

Collecting films on VHS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one still on VHS: The Spirit of the Wilderness which is kind of a retrospective of the work of Bill Mason of the National Film Board of Canada, one of my favorite filmmakers. It's looking like this program never made the leap to DVD, but I have hope for a replacement that came from an altogetherly unexpected direction. A few months ago I got a 16mm nature film that turned out to be part of the same series: just maybe I'll find a 16mm print of The Spirit of the Wilderness too. (I wouldn't be too upset!)

Comment

While I don’t collect or actively look for VHS tapes, I do occasionally download ripped files of vhs films from YouTube. I have a HDD full of old made for tv horror films and horror movies that never escaped to dvd/blu ray/etc…

Comment

Hi Ken. I'm still getting Beta and VHS tapes to transfer onto USB or disc after 40 years of media work ouch!! Most of the old analogue recordings if loved have stood up well. Dad recorded most of my TV acting jobs on the Phillips 1500 in the 70's then we transferred to VHS in later years on the Fergy Videostar. Those tapes still time/play fine.

Most memorable VHS I have is the ultra long edit of Dances with Wolves unique to VHS in its massive presentation box.

At one point I had nearly 1000 pre recorded VHS/beta/LaserDisc's going back a bit...It happens for the love of the movies. I would say of all the old video formats VHS has held up well for what it was. 8mm/Hi8/DigHi8 and DV have been a mixed bag.

Kept my old clam shell VHS tapes , particularly Warner Bros which hold many memories for me. The Exorcist vintage VHS clam box still goes for loony money if in good condition, the price of nostalgia I guess.

VHS Reliability. I have a rack of 10 X FS200 HQ's here I used to use for bulk duplication and they all still work perfectly.
        Best wishes Ken.

Comment

I really enjoyed the VHS format, it worked fine on the old CRT TVs which is what it was designed for. If I recorded items off the TV it was ideal to use be able to use the pause button, go back a few seconds and have the ads cut out, great fun. I think I still have around 8 VHS tapes, 50/50 recorded and pre recorded. It's a defunked format now but has stood the test of time, early 80s and still works fine.

Comment

VHS was designed to take a beating, to be sure. I wonder. Some DVD players had a 1080p upgrade capability. I wonder if that would have made the VHS tape look the absolute best it possibly could? One of the problems with even those modern VHS players that were made recently is that they have an auto correct for the correction of the image, to make the image centered. The problem is, with older VHS, it tends to leave a lot of "flutter" ( that's what I will call it ), and stuttering/jumping to the image, where a lot of the older units from decades ago, allowed you to manually "center" the image

Comment

Still have a few remaining from those VHS days, some have never appeared on DVD. I still have the excellent Armchair Odeon series, bought new through Derann, later I also added the DVDs, that had updates to the home cinemas from the original tapes.

One of my favorite pre-recorded tapes we bought new at the time many moons ago was "The Last Starfighter" in more recent times its now projected on film
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220307.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	85996
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1290787.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.2 KB ID:	85997
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1290786.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	85998

Comment

I love the Aardman animations, have most of them on dvd or vhs, including a vhs tape of the very first Creature Comforts commercials.😊

Comment

Star Wars 1984 VHS Tape Sold for $789 Aust' in USA. Just shows how the original Versions are more sort after.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STAR-WAR...p2047675.l2557

Comment

Working...
                  X