Maurice has passed away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maurice has passed away.

I received this message from Maurice Leakey's daughter Jane.

It is with great sadness to tell you that Dad passed away yesterday. He will be sorely missed.

It's clear in reading the recent posts concerning Maurice that he was held in high esteem by us all and valued for both his knowledge and his kind, helpful manner. I know everyone here joins me in sending our deepest condolences and best wishes to his family.

Doug, I am very sad to hear that, he was a true old style gentlemen whose film knowledge was second to none. This forum will be lost without him. My thoughts go to his family at this difficult time.

Comment

Maurice has passed, but his wisdom remains in this forum's archives.

Comment

My sincere prayers for dear Maurice, and I extend my sympathies to Jane and family. A Giant among us has left, but his brilliance will be a fine light we will always bask in the glow of...Shorty

Comment

I don't think that the forum will be lost without Maurice, as posted earlier, ( and I am sure no ill-will was meant ), but a great fountain of knowledge has been silenced, and he is and always will be missed, and I certainly concur with all said concerning this gentleman. My best best wishes to Maurice's family and fellow friends.

Comment

So sorry to hear that, although I never met Maurice, his posts to the forum were always interesting and will be missed, best wishes to his family.

Comment

WOW

Sincere condolences to all who knew him

Comment

How very sad, I was hoping he would recover and get back to his projectors and postings on this forum. He is of course irreplaceable, but at least we can refer, and enjoy, his hundreds of postings from the past 20 years.
                My sincere sympathy to his family. Everybody here will miss him but not forget him.

Comment

I never knew him to have an unkind word about anyone. That's a grand statement to make of anyone!

Comment

Very sad news. I had the great pleasure of visiting Maurice in Bristol a few times over the last couple of years and speaking to him regularly on the phone. Always a fountain of knowledge and memories of all things film and cinema. On my last visit in early June I asked about 16mm releases of Shirley Temple and Deanna Durbin films and he quickly rattled off a list from memory together with snippets of plotlines - no need to Google, just ask Maurice. He also setup his 9.5 sound projector to show me one of his favourite cartoons of Betty Boop and Grampy - a real treat. He will be very much missed - a kind and generous gentleman​

Comment

As said above, a very sad news. I was hoping, as well, Maurice would recover. Condolences to the family.
                      Last edited by Dominique De Bast; September 09, 2023, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Very sad news, though not unexpected, it's still a shock, I've known Maurice for many years, and he was always fun to talk too, Michael and I visited him a couple of times last year, he was on top form, but I must admit he was looking frail, even then, his knowladge on all types of film was tremendous, and the Forum will be a lott less now because the fountain of knowledge has sadly run dry!

Comment

So sorry to hear of Maurice's passing. He appeared to be on top of every post on the Forums. Not only was he a wealth of knowledge and experience... he was the consummate researcher. He could search and locate just about anything in record time. In that respect he was like a magician pulling a cine-rabbit out of a hat. I know he received a lot of pleasure from his participation in this great forum... and we all benefited from him being here. RIP Maurice and much condolences to his family for their loss.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this. We had many a phone chat over the years and I’m glad to say we met in person at BFCC. My condolences to Maurice’s family.
                            R.I.P.

Comment

Very sad to hear this news. Condolences to Maurice’s family.

Comment

Working...
                              X