Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the first film you remember seeing in a cinema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really stretching my old memory bank with this one, When we lived in Glasgow during the 1950s through to 1964, when we later left the city when I was 12yrs, the Odeon was the one I went to mostly with friends to the Saturday morning screenings. The afternoon was mainly for adults, not us, but do remember watching "The Battle Of The River Plate" that's one film, another film I remember was at the Rosevale in Partick "The Wreck Of The Mary Deare" what I remember the most of that film, was the amount of smoke in the cinema due to the heavy smoking folk did back then. But the film that I do remember the most, was when my father took me to see "The Alamo", that film really caught my attention for two reasons. One being that we hardly ever as a family went to the cinema so it was special, and second the contrast on the screen from the drab foggy winter night outside, was quite something.

The Odeon below, its quiet sad to see it that way, photo from the internet, now long gone.

Actually when I think about it, what we have these days in comfort etc is light years ahead of how things were back then., thankfully smoking is banned these days, it was pretty bad.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	63381722_1978450702261336_2665733231071985664_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.8 KB ID:	90233
    The Rosevale below

The cinema was just right to this first photo, second photo after it closed in 1965
    Click image for larger version  Name:	13043697_825018040937947_7650527583537953535_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.5 KB ID:	90234
    Click image for larger version  Name:	large.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	90235
    Oh! here is another of the Odeon in better days.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	67235462_2048120548627684_8716606998763798528_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.4 KB ID:	90236
    Getting around Glasgow at night in winter when most nights were heavy in smog in itself was an experience, like waking to primary school in the fog, this photo sums it up how we used it to get across the Clyde to get to a certain cinema where we once lived.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1506313_232484160255897_1749762296_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.7 KB ID:	90237

Comment

It was “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. At theOdeon Woolwich, in September 1938. Dad took me as Mum was in in hospital awaiting birth of my brother. We had front row of the circle seats as the stalls were full. I was more scared of falling over into the stalls from my lofty perch than I was of the wicked step mother! I wonder if anyone on the forum can remember a first visit before me?

Comment

Nope

Comment

1959 at the Paramount theater in Hamilton, Ohio. "Tarzan's Greatest Challenge" with "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" double bill. Great fun and I was hooked.

Comment

I went to see the 1937 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs with my mum and sister. Somewhere in the early 70's.

Comment

Sound of Music, Tom Thumb and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang not necessarily in that order. Tom Thumb was a re release. I fell asleep during Sound of Music. Chitty left more of an impression on me.

Comment

Possibly Dr. Doolittle..... or My Fair Lady.....or Chitty.....or Oliver.....or Julie Andrews.

Certainly my first "romantic" visit (the first when I took and paid for a female) several years later was.....What's Up Doc?
                (Well, we all have to start somewhere !) ( Just thought...I could start a new topic..... "First film you took a girlfriend to see... and never got to see the film!") 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin England View Post
                  Possibly Dr. Doolittle..... or My Fair Lady.....or Chitty.....or Oliver.....or Julie Andrews.

Certainly my first "romantic" visit (the first when I took and paid for a female) several years later was.....What's Up Doc?
                  (Well, we all have to start somewhere !) ( Just thought...I could start a new topic..... "First film you took a girlfriend to see... and never got to see the film!") 😉
                  Remember Doctor Doolittle and Oliver too from that era. Mum and Dad seem to buy soundtrack LPs. Mary Poppins was another one.

Comment

The first film I remember my mom taking me to was Disney's Jungle Book in 1967. I was 6 years old at the time.
                    It was playing at the Fox California Theater in San Bernardino, California.
                    Attached Files

Comment

My first outing at a cinema was for a friend of mine's 5th birthday party, around 1990, his Grandfather took us all to the Regent Theatre and all I remember was there was Yogi Bear on the screen and I spent more time looking at the back of the cinema at the projection room ports than watching what was on the screen, I found out recently from the owner of the cinema at the time that what we saw was a program of 16mm cartoon shorts all run together that was a Saturday morning kids show that he used to run up until the mid 1990s, I ended up owning the cinema in 2008!

Click image for larger version

Name:	370629935_298117819714662_3661287626699752014_n.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	90450

Comment

I was six when I watched Disney’s „Snow White“ for the first time in my life in a cinema. And it is still my favorite animated classic.

Comment

Wizard of Oz

Comment

Dr Who & The Daleks on a re-release in 1976 (I think, I was only 5...could have been The Love Bug...)

The film has stayed with me throughout my life...I've owned almost every version of it. Still have my 4 x 400ft Walton.

Last summer, I went to watch the 4K restoration at a state of the art Odeon. It was amazing and I could hardly believe I was actually seeing it re-released again in a cinema all those years later.

I bought the 4K disc with a vinyl copy of the soundtrack recently. The vinyl sounds superb and I couldn't figure out just why it sounded so good; then it dawned on me, it was the first time ever I had heard the music in stereo.

Actually, it was the last film I saw in a cinema so far...quite a neat circle!

Comment

Working...
                            X