Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 IN REVIEW: Theatre Outings

Greetings friends!

I thought it would be fun to have a thread to post all the movies you’ve seen in an actual theater this year!

I’ve not seen a ton, but I’ve enjoyed the movies I did see. Thinking about my cinema outings for 2023:

THE FABELMANS
    JOHN WICK 4
    FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
    JAWS
    OPPENHEIMER
    INDIANA JONE DIAL OF DESTINY
    KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON​
    Last edited by Lincoln Thorn; November 10, 2023, 08:30 AM.

Only one cinema outing in 2023 and that was to "Empire Of Light" and thought that was rubbish, sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but that was my thoughts just after leaving the cinema.

Comment

Me and my wife saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. The only film I saw in the theater. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe I was one of just a few that did.

Graham-Just curious why you went to see Empire of Light in the first place. Had to look it up and was written and directed by Sam Mendez, director of Spectre and Skyfall. Is it worth renting at least?

Comment

Hi Larry

I made the mistake of thinking it was about an old cinema, which it is in a way, but here is the "but". Its only used a back drop to the story, which I can only repeat is stated on the internet in the Quote below, which really does sum this film up. I would add though the story might be in a cinema, but its more about the people and the problems in there lives. I will stick to watching Peter Sellers in The Smallest Show On Earth in future

Quote from the internet "It has a sad story to tell, one that touches on mental illness, sexual exploitation, racist violence and other grim facts of life"

Larry I found it depressing to watch it just went on and on, nothing uplifting about any of it, you do get to see the projection room for a couple of minutes but its not what this film is really about, I made the big mistake going to it.

Is it worth renting? nope.

Comment

I went to see Empire of Light partly because of the cinema setting=, but mainly where the cinema was. Margate, where I had many childhood holidays and had seen the frontages used for the cinema (there were two identical ones) on day visits.. As usual some of the setting wer not where they really were and yes, it was at times, painful to watch due to the problems shown.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Arpin View Post
            ...Graham-Just curious why you went to see Empire of Light in the first place. Had to look it up and was written and directed by Sam Mendez, director of Spectre and Skyfall. Is it worth renting at least?
            Larry, you may like it, or you might hate it. There is no single correct correct answer to your question, "Is it worth renting?". It depends...

The discussion reminds me of that quote by Elliott Erwitt:

To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place… I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.
            You can read my review at: https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ge73#post75322

There is also a interview you might be interested in at: https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ight#post75879

Comment

My 2023 Theatre Outings list is a heavily edited version of Lincoln's at the top of the page.

Jaws (The Spielberg original version in 3D)

The Fabelman's - Once again Spielberg, this time in an autobiographical mood.

Comment

I've seen these in theatres this year so far:

Saint Omer
                2001: A Space Odyssey (70mm)
                Lawrence of Arabia (70mm)
                Creed III
                John Wick Chapter 4
                Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
                Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
                Asteroid City
                Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
                Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (IMAX)
                Oppenheimer (70mm IMAX)
                A Haunting in Venice
                Stop Making Sense
                Killers of the Flower Moon (IMAX)
                The Holdovers

I'm looking forward to seeing Ridley Scott's Napoleon and also Godzilla Minus One on big screens.

Comment

I have seen at our little independent cinema in Herne Bay.
                  All Quiet on the Western Front
                  Oppenheimer.
                  The Fabelmans.
                  Empire of Light.
                  The Banshees of Inisharim.
                  Whats Love got to do With it.
                  Mrs Harris Goes to Paris.
                  The Great Escaper. (Michael Caine’s swan song)
                  Elvis
                  Operation Mincemeat.
                  Belfast.
                  A Man Called Otto.
                  The Last Bus.

some of these were at the Wednesday Morning Film Club Screenings. In addition we have been to see recorded or live transmissions of Andre Rieu At Maastricht, Ballet, and Opera.
                  We do like to support the cinema as much as possible, because if you don’t use it, you will lose it. With the phenomenal amount of satellite and streaming available these days it will be difficult for cinemas to survive.

Comment

Adding to what I've seen:

Anatomy of a Fall - French courtroom thriller, Palme d’Or winner and an excellent film.

Napoleon (IMAX) - Uneven film, but it has some of the most amazing battle sequences I've ever seen.

Godzilla Minus One (IMAX) - Surprisingly good! A Godzilla film where you actually care about the humans. See it on a big screen!

Comment

I can also add Napoleon. As Douglas says amazing battle scenes although not historically that accurate. Was not very impressed with the actor playing the part of Napoleon. Forgotten his name ! I just thought it was quite wooden. Very little emotion portrayed in the portrayal of the part, particularly regarding dialogue.

Comment

Working...
                      X