8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What was your FIRST EVER Super 8/Standard 8mm film? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What was your FIRST EVER Super 8/Standard 8mm film?
David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2011 12:14 AM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first digest I ever saw would have been in October of '77, at a church Harvest Festival (Halloween carnival). For a dime or maybe a quarter, you could go in a little room in the church basement where they were showing the 200-foot digest "The Giant Behemoth." (They used the brief mention of an animal called Behemoth in the book of Job as a pretext to show a monster flick at church.)

In February of '78, for my seventh birthday, my parents let me buy "War of the Planets" from Captain Company. I would have chosen a different film, but the only Warren magazine I could find on short notice was one of their "Star Wars" special editions, not an ordinary issue of "Famous Monsters." This particular magazine listed only a handful of 8mm science fiction pictures, and "War of the Planets" seemed the best choice at the time.

Eventually, my granddad gave me his old Mansfield 8mm projector, and we must have watched that one digest forty or fifty times before it completely wore out. But over the next five years or so, Captain Company (and later Blackhawk) got a lot of my business, that's for sure!

|  IP: Logged

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corny Concerto! Super 8mm

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2011 02:38 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found "From Horse Car to Subway" a silent Blackhawk release about three years ago at a thrift store, a year later I found a sound projector at a thrift store. It was like magic on my wall before my eyes. Most of the thrill came from the feeling of projecting an old silent film that I found waiting for me at that store. A new hobby was born, my excitement to find more films led to this great Forum.

It took a while before I bought a sound film, needless to say I found it here on Forum! The first sound film was "Pinnochio Comes to Life" WDHM 200', I must have seen it five times that night with a couple others.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2011 08:49 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 didn't have any of those hassles and provided great image quality, revolutionizing the amateur film genre in the process. Kodak launched Super 8 mm film in May 1965, along with two cameras, the M2 and M4. Super 8 was cheaper and more convenient than the previous, cumbersome Normal 8 format, since all you had to do was pop the film cassette into the camera, take it out after recording and turn it in for processing.The advent of the Super 8 cassetted film really helped spawn the home movie rage in the '60s and '70s was an easy to use and affordable option for consumers."

To get an idea of what Super 8 movies looked like, recall the opening credits of the late-1980s and early '90s TV show, "The Wonder Years." Each Super 8 cassette packed only enough film to create three minutes of colorful, soft and somewhat grainy footage, but it was enough time for amateur filmmakers to pan around their living rooms or back yards while everyone waved at the camera.

Watch "The Wonder Years" Super 8 film-style opening:
I was that little kid in the show. I started useing Super 8 in my family movies with no sound on my daddy's camera. And my first Hollywood film on a 50 foot reel was The Creature from the Black Lagoon. And it was a wind up projector my dad bought me in 1965. My next film was silent and was Mighty Joe Young 200 feet. Wow! I fell in love with Ray Harryhausen after that.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2011 03:53 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first non-home movie I remember watching as a kid was super 8 film that came from several damaged Fisher Price Movie cartridges. They were spliced together on a small reel. We also had the Kenner Star Wars cartridges. They also broke and were put on a reel. I wish I knew were those went. Then there was a great film viewer toy in the early 1980's. I'm not sure but I think it was made by View-Master. It was motorized. A trigger was pressed and the film ran through a plastic cartridge. Each cartridge had two different movies. There were titles like Dracula/Son of Frankenstein, animated Batman/Superman , Scooby-Doo and some other Hanna-Barbara shorts. Unfortunately, they are also long gone.

My very first actual film purchase was in 1982. It was a silent 2 min. souvenir film from Walt Disney World. "The Haunted Mansion". I still have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqUjs7DiOQ

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC