8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S940 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eumig S940
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 10, 2008 11:50 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At present I am giving this projector a once over for someone else, the Eumig S940 is a bit rare out here and unfortunately this machine has not been looked after, anyway here are a few photos of it.
 -

-

-

-
This shutter is interesting can anyone tell me why its variable and in two sliding parts?
 -
pulling it apart to clean it, this might sound silly but how do you remove the lens? as rotating the knob fully anti-clockwise "lens moving out" does not release it.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 12:01 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
To remove the lens, once you have the knob turned fully anti-clockwise, turn it further with a little more force and the lens will snap/spring out.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 11, 2008 03:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike
That did the trick [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 11, 2008 05:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

I see you have removed the pressure plate assembly. I will be able to this soon on my S926 thanks to the kind offer from Mike.

I also see you have "exposed" the end of the flywheel shaft. How is this done?

With regard to the shutter, I am not entirely sure, but I would assume that it's adjusted to give maximum light at 24 fps, and minimal flicker at 18 fps. Only a guess though!

--------------------
Maurice

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2008 06:07 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This shutter design can also be found in Bauer machines. The dark phase in forward mode is optimized for maximum light output, which normally would lead to ghosting effects during reverse projection. To avoid ghosting, the dark phase is increased in reverse mode.

Joerg

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 13, 2008 09:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice
Here is a photo of the part you mentioned its just clipped in place and is very easy to remove but like most plastic bits be carefull [Smile]
 -

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 14, 2008 02:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham

Sorry. No. I know about taking off the part you show for cleaning. Gently does it!

I actually was referring to the "bit" on the end of the flywheel shaft just above the little red pin with the side spring on it. I assume the "bit" I mention has to come off to clean the chrome sound drum pulley and the rubber tension roller below it.

They both seem at first examination to be almost inaccessible for cleaning. There is no mention in the instruction book.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 14, 2008 06:50 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a machine we once owned ourselves, if only they made it much more robust it would have been a great machine but we had no ends of problems so had to move it on.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2008 02:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, Do NOT mess with the clip on the end of the flywheel. That clip is actually a form of leaf spring which loads up the teflon bearings on the flywheel to eliminate axial play in the flywheel assembly. Take that clip off and you are likely to get yourself into a whole heap of sound WOW problems. Leave well alone. To clean the flywheel and rubber roller you push downwards on the red button (below the flywheel), which tilts the rubber roller and gives some limited access for a long q-tip swab soaked in a little alcohol.
Tom, one problem that I have encountered on both my 926's is breakage of the leaf spring stack which indexes the positions of the main control knob. The projector still works fine, but now you have to visually set the knob to its appropriate clock positions, and can no longer rely on the feel of the indentations. Looking at my 938, it looks like Eumig were aware of this problem on the 926 (clearly they did not do any stress analysis on the leaf springs) and corrected it with a new design of spring. The other 926 problem was breakage of the indent mechanism for lifting up the rewind pulley at the top of the machine. Yes, the 926 seems to have some overly stressed parts, both metal and plastic (some of the plastic parts associated with the curved input guide are ridiculously thin and the pulleys are tiny), but the 938 has none of these component problems and is a totally different design of input film path. But I agree Tom that the 900 Eumigs do not have the tank-like construction of the Elmo GS1200.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 17, 2008 04:54 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me the years of manufacture of the S940? and was it one of the last in the range of Super8 projectors to be produced?

Graham. [Smile]

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2008 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eumig S940 was manufactured in 1981 for a list price of 399 pounds. It was Eumig's last projector. According to the Eumig repair tech who ran Photo & Electronic Service in New York after Eumig closed, not more than 50 of these units were ever shipped to the U.S.!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 17, 2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what this projectors does show is this,

This machine was Eumigs last projector to be made, just looking at the electronics on this item makes you wonder if manufactures had gone on just 10 more years how advanced they would have been, loking at the image you wouldnt think this was around 28 years ago. It was ahead of its time and all down to one multi-proccessor.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2008 01:52 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont have this model (yet [Smile] ). Could someone please explain what programmable tricks you could perform with the micro processor inside. I can imagine you could play/record and get the projector to 'stop' at a certain frame. But what else could you do?

Also does the digital frame counter 'count' the real number of frames passed or is it just like any other counter and attached to a wheel. I ask this because you could count the frames using a light and a sensor which would pick up the line between the frames, but then again that might not work if there are horizontal black lines on the image. [Confused]

Graham S

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2008 02:56 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the programming includes start and stop record points as you mentioned. Also possible is programmable fade in/out, dissolve, track transfer, sound-on-sound, and music attenuation on one track triggered by narration points on the other. You can program up to 16 commands for a single record pass. It's nice that the machine actually lets you preview all your programmed commands for practice, with all the corresponding LED's lighting at the appropriate times. BUT my only complaint is that it CLEARS all commands once you carry out the actual programmed operation. So if you make a mistake during the actual recording you have to go back and re-program all the commands back in.

The counter is interesting as it does not read the frame lines nor is it attached to a wheel. It's actually attached to a light that reads perforations in a wheel that's geared off the main drive shaft for absolute frame accuracy.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike for that answer. Im sure if Eumig did carry on they would eventually put an LCD display showing all the program commands and more with a function you could save to memory. As it is the Eumig 940 is certaintly one of the most advanced projectors ever made in terms of computer like electronics.

Interesting about that counter. All the counters on the Elmo's just count every 18 frames and work all the time even if there is no film in there. Using a light and sensor it enables you to start counting from the very first frame (albiet leader) and stop when the film runs out. That digital counter looks good when running and impresses friends who thought super 8 died in the 70's and before.

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 17, 2008 09:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eumig were always ahead of the curve in projector design. First projector with low voltage halogen lighting, first low cost 8mm sound projector, first (and only) projectors with vertical lens shift, first projector with microprocessor controlled recording/playback functions etc etc. Most other manufacturers seemed to follow Eumig's lead. It is interesting to speculate where Eumig would have taken us in super 8mm had they not been bankrupted by their association with Polaroid, and had video not come along and decimated the market for cine. I think Dolby stereo optical sound projectors would have been one of the next steps for them, as well as a 1200ft Stereo mag/ stereo optical projector with xenon or HTI lighting.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2008 10:27 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
Just for clarification, the counter does count off whether there's film in the machine or not, since the perforated wheel spins as soon as you put the machine into play. But if you were to reset the counter to a specific frame, let's say the "3" frame in the countdown leader, the projector will always adhere to the zero count on that frame accurately no matter how many times you run the film in the machine forward and back as long as it stays threaded. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2008 03:33 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happened to Photo and Electronic Service? I know they took over for Eumig USA-- and had a few 938s and 940s that they were piecing together, making them incredibly rare here. Where are the repair people? (probably in the same repair heaven that the Bauer people in Glendale Ca. went to...)

Here's a little secret: Cambridge Camera in New York City bought out most of Eumig USA's 926 inventory. They had a whole warehouse full of them-- sources told me not too long ago that they still have NEW 926s-- though they probably can't find them.

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2008 05:15 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dealt with the gentleman who ran Photo & Electronic Service fairly regularly throughout the 80's. I bought at seperate times two S926's and an S938 all new, as well as various parts and repairs. He was also nice enough to give me a parts diagram for my own repairs. And he believed the crowning Eumig achievement was the S824D Sonomatic, which he used personally!

Then, one day, I phoned him and a lady just said "Hello." So I asked to speak to the projector repair gentleman. And she said in a rather frantic and foreign sounding tone, "No! Not here! No more parts! Sorry, no more!" And that was my last contact with them. Oh, and I called several more times to make sure, unintentionally causing a little upset. Sad.

Well thanks for the Cambridge Camera tip! That would be too good to be true if we could get more soundheads!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 18, 2008 08:13 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
Yes the 824 Sonomatic is a sweet little projector. I have an 820 Sonomatic and every time I pick it up I end up admiring its brilliant design. These are such compact and rugged little machines, and yet built almost totally of metal, as the best projectors are. Eumig got it so right with the 800 series, great little work horses for the average home projectionist. I believe that the 900 series were designed by a different team in Vienna, and you can really see the total change in design philosophy, particularly the move to heavy use of plastic moldings. I have often wondered why Eumig did not keep the basic superb 800 series mechanical design, and just add to the bottom of it an outboard stereo recording/mixing console, similar to the 926/938/940, plus some extension of the reel arms for 800ft capacity, and also with the optical sound head of the 800 M/0. Now that would have been some projector!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2008 03:57 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

My 926 also has that same problem with the main control knob having to visually set the positions. It work fine and because of this I actually thought it was meant to be like this (I dont own another modern Eumig. My only other Eumig is an old mark s standard 8). Anyway can this problem be easily fixed with the main control knob.

Graham S

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2008 03:58 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

My 926 also has that same problem with the main control knob having to visually set the positions. It work fine and because of this I actually thought it was meant to be like this (I dont own another modern Eumig. My only other Eumig is an old mark s standard 8). Anyway can this problem be easily fixed with the main control knob.

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 19, 2008 11:15 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
Unfortunately there is no 'quick fix' for the 926 control knob indent mechanism. The problem is that the leaf spring stack is severely overstressed and the top leaf spring, which engages the plastic cam on the back of the control knob, breaks off due to stress fatigue. This is clearly a design mistake on Eumig's part, and they made a design change in this area on the later 938 and 940.
Fortunately, the operation of the 926 is not affected at all by this, as long as you visually line up the white mark on the knob with the arrows on the cover.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2008 05:01 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul for that. It dosent bother me as I always line up the positions exactly and the unit works fine. One day I hope to get a 938 or 940. At present I dont use the 926 much but I still want to hang onto it. [Smile]

Graham S

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 20, 2008 09:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All cleaned up and running like a Swiss watch [Smile]
 -
Last photo
Well I am really impressed with this projector its very quiet running and gentle on film the person it was going to has got an Elmo lined up instead, however I am going to give it away to our new and very young projectionist at work, give him a surprise this weekend, he has done a great job plus as much spare film as I can find starting with a few Tom an Jerry cartoons we had a visit from his family last weekend really nice people so its of to a good home.

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC