8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S940 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eumig S940
Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2008 09:33 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky lad!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 20, 2008 11:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The history to this projector is interesting in that I bought it from a film collector for $100 at least 10 years ago, it had been sitting in his garage and covered in saw dust and had been there for a while, soon after I bought it I never used it as my main projectors are the GS1200 and ST1200 another collector was interested in it so I sold it and it sat on another garage shelf "never got used" until sadly he passed away when a collector selling it on behalf of the estate sold it back to me for $80 about 30 pounds, so after all those years it came back but in a sorry state, as I will never use it I feel its better to go to someone that will get some enjoyment and use out of it.

Projectors need to be used pretty pointless having them otherwise, my son now 21 years old still uses his Eumig projector his girlfriend [Roll Eyes] when he gets it out, [Smile] I gave it to him when he was young, and will be sorting out some more films for him as well. Its sad that out here Super8 is gone, at a recent auction 36 Super8 Feature films many in good condition went between $10 and $20 with some passed in at $25 all on Elmo reels, needless to say had I attended I would have bought quite a few, myself I will continue using Super8 and why not still lots of good viewing there yet.

Graham.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2008 01:45 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, yes his "lordship" will be very happy with the projector, as they say "get em while they are young", i brought my 1st projector when I was 14 from the local secondhand shop for $40 (about 12pounds)it was a hanimex, i cant remember the model know but it was silent, I never got any films with it but I used to set it up and shine a white square on the wall every chance I got , the 1st super 8 films I got were a PINK PANTHER 200ft cartoon and a Tom and Jerry Johann Mouse, by this time I had my 1st 8mm sound machine a Hanimex with 400ft reel capacity, traded it in now and I have a GS1200 that I ran just today.
Graham you should join him up with the film buffs...... [Wink]
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2008 01:34 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance of a photo of the lucky b......'s face when you present it to him? Just to make us all jealous!

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 21, 2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I decided to call into work last night to give it to him and although "Batman" etc were running downstairs it was "Tom and Jerry" blaring away in the projection room upstairs on a make shift screen and it looked really good. I must say the Eumig 940 is a very immpressive projector from the minute you switch in on and it comes to life, lights up like a christmas tree along with a very quiet cooling fan in some ways a more advanced projector than the mighty GS1200, well I was more than pleased to give it to him last night and hope he and others get a lot of enjoyment out of it and if the reaction I got last night is anything to go by that should be the case.

Graham. [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 21, 2008 06:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with you Graham about your appreciation of the Eumig S940. If I had to part with either my GS1200 or my Eumig 938, it would be a gut-wrenching decision, as they are both superb machines, each with its own advantages. For strictly home use on a screen no bigger than 6ft wide, and if the sound heads would never wear out, I would pick the 938/940 as it is so kind to film, so quiet and steady, and the stereo sound is awesome. For larger screens and public shows, and particularly with CinemaScope, I would have to keep the GS1200, solely for its better light output.
Like choosing between a Jag and a Rolls.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2008 05:49 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not sure how many Eumig S 940 projectors came to Australia, but there is one now finally in my posession.

It was on ebay here and I picked it up today for AUS$188.50 (approx US$125 or 80 pound). It is in its original box and came with instructions and original selling dealer details (a country town called Colac about 2 hours from Melbourne). It came from a guy who knew what it was and he rescued it from a mates garage as it was about to be thrown out!

I know about the variable speed issues that these can have, but after running three films this afternoon it seems to run OK so far. I gave it a good clean and it has very nice picture, brightness, low running noise and steady image. There is a little static in the sound even at low volume but it can't be detected in operation.

I know it is early days but I am pleased with my punt on this as I bought it untested. I do know a former Eumig technician near me so I may have him cast his eyes over it.

I have waited years to find a reasonably priced unit (a friend has a few of them) but I did not expect this price. I wonder why other collectors here did not snap it up? They are certainly out when a GS or ST comes up.

A very impressive projector, it is now sitting up with my ST 1200. Both top class in their own ways.

David

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC