8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » DERANN AND STEVE OSBORNE (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DERANN AND STEVE OSBORNE
John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2009 12:56 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal,Derek Simmonds literally did give his life to the hobby.And Steve has kept things going in the US long before the internet came along!

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2009 05:43 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a Collector (hands go up in horror!) but I was until fairly recently a Retailer and if I learnt one lesson in Retail it was never put all your eggs in one basket. It may be difficult for those who have a particular interest, in this case Film Collecting, to see Derann as anything but what they have come to know them for, especially as the Website substantially
concentrates on the Film aspect of their business. But as others have pointed out, that IS inevitably a slowly decreasing market and substantial investment in setting up subsidary facilities in other locations would, I suspect, be verging on the very risky.
Derann have not overlooked the need for diversity; they have a comprehensive AV department and I would hazard a guess that that is instrumental in helping them to continue what you know them best for. In these difficult financial times they must be treading a narrow path. I hope the old saying "use them or lose them" does not apply in their case.... make sure you "use them" anyway.

Martin

[ June 15, 2009, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2009 08:50 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of interest as Steve Osborne is a prominent player in this business should he not be encouraged to have a profile on this Forum?

Rick

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 15, 2009 09:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though a player in the game, Steve is not your modern man, in that he doesn't like internet or computers in general. He'll reply to a phone call by e-mail if he must, but that's about it.

But then, I really enjoy getting his mailings, (along with his great magazine!) and it is a piece of what John Black describes as "the Old days of Collecting", and there's nothing wrong with that!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 15, 2009 01:12 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean any harm, John.
It just made me smile, thats all.
I wasn't sure if you were being a little OTT on purpose, though now I see that you weren't.
[Big Grin]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 15, 2009 01:32 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, love your thread, have to say very few Hollywood historical films about our past are rarely accurate,
Mel "Bash the British" Gibson springs to mind right away,
My Brother is a local Historian, (read his book Plymouths Forgotten War, shamaless plug, visit his website www.thewrathofkings.com) [Big Grin] [Wink]
He hates Hollywood films on our history.
M&C was top dog.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just subscribed to Film for the Collector...Took a few days for Gary to get back to me [Smile]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2009 05:58 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin Jones, excellent post! I could not have said it better myself!

Along those lines, we collectors all have to remember that Derann is indeed a business -- and they can't stay in business based solely on the nostalgic whims of collectors. That's why we collectors need to put our money where our mouths are -- and not put all of our collecting dollars into used films/auction pursuits.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 15, 2009 08:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... unless what were looking for can't be found at Derann, CHC. ect.

I'm all for supporting the existing companies, but there has to be something that I want. I won't blow what little cash I have on things I don't want.

Though I really don't like ebay, (though it has allowed a little money to come in over time), I wouldn't have built the collection that I have.

For small bucks Osi, buying a pristine used print of Derann's release of Snow White, for instance, for 100.00 dollars, (as I did), allows me to have something that I could never afford or justify at the brand new price.

I know everyone has they're opinion of ebay, and they are, of course, allowed they're opinion, but it must be said that, if not for ebay and definitely, the modern computer age, there are a lot of younger collectors, (myself included), who would not have gotten back into Super or into it in the first place, and that has allowed for a lot more buying selling and trading, which has benefited us all.

--------------------

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2009 02:08 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Osi,but I do get upset when guys like Steve,Phil sheard ,Derann and Perry's aren't given their props.They are the bridge between the glory days of 8mm collecting to now.If they didn't keep it up durung the 80s and 90s when everybody else packed it in,I doubt 8mm would have the interest it has now.

--------------------

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2009 02:09 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Osi,but I do get upset when guys like Steve,Phil sheard ,Derann and Perry's aren't given their props.They are the bridge between the glory days of 8mm collecting to now.If they didn't keep it up durung the 80s and 90s when everybody else packed it in,I doubt 8mm would have the interest it has now.And no offence taken Micheal.Thanks for the reply

--------------------

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2009 06:12 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was with much regret that we had to cease granting discounts to our trade customers

The reason being that as a company, we have been absorbing increases in printing, striping, chemical and general business costs for many years whilst not increasing our retail prices, which in turn, have left us with a diminishing profit margin

Our only alternative would have been to increase our retail prices and still offer a trade discount, which we thought would be detremental to the hobby in general

In closing, I must put on record my admiration for Steve Osborne, a most honest and true gentleman

Kindest Regards

Gary Brocklehurst
Derann Film Services Limited

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 16, 2009 06:57 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear! Hear! - Cheers, Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 16, 2009 09:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good to hear from you, Gary! Never had anything but praise for you guys!

It's sad that there has to be a tightening of the belts but if it must be, than it must be.

Another kudo tossed Derann's way. They have one of the best used films list in the business. Upon inquiry, I know Gary or whoever over at Derann will personally inspect the film in question and get back to you with a thorough answer. Except for a few others, (Barry Atwood is a good notable as well!), they can always be trusted in they're sales, new or otherwise.

That, and always offering us overseas blokes that VAT tax discount, which helps with the cost of shipping.

I would be curious to hear how they're newest cartoon release has done, an early Bug's Bunny cartoon, I believe.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2009 01:32 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got my first issue of Film for the Collector, so I'm ay least on board for that... [Smile]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC