8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fun with Blackhawk Boxes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fun with Blackhawk Boxes
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2009 01:32 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it might be fun to start a thread to be used to display all of the different blackhawk boxes... I tried to take a picture of all of the different ones I have. I know for a fact there are many different Laurel and Hardy boxes and colors, what dya got? [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 01, 2009 09:16 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Great idea!

-

Now if someone could explain the Blackhawk labeling code.....

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 01, 2009 12:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I highly favor the late issue silver boxes

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 01, 2009 09:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one's for you, Osi!

-

It's from the first Blackhawk I ever bought, and the only one I ever bought new: "First 500 Mile Indianapolis Race". This was also probably among the first two or three commercial prints I ever owned. This is from 1980, just before I graduated from High School.

Strange: since all the ones that came after this one were bought used, my first Blackhawk print is probably the newest of the bunch! (None of the others are in silver boxes.)

I never noticed it was printed crooked until now!

Doug:

Tim Christian explained the Blackhawk numbering system to me

First there is a 3 digit format code:

Std 8 b/w: 810
Std 8 col: 825
Sup 8 b/w: 860
Sup 8 col: 870
Sup 8 snd: 880

Then comes a two digit code he never had an explanation for. (I bet John Black can explain...).. Which seems to be by genre.

Then comes a final four digit catalog number that is by title, regardless of format.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2009 09:19 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a unique box, but had given it away.

On the inside part of the double box,
there was a lithographed sales promotion that
was designed with 35mm sprocket film and inside
of the frames were picts of L&H and other notable
film stars.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 01, 2009 09:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like this one?

-

I was showing a Blackhawk 400 footer a few weeks back (not even sure which anymore) and saw this inside the box, so I grabbed the digital and snapped a picture.

I didn't know I cared that much about the boxes!

Man!, I wish I could get the Blackhawk Bulletin now!

Are you coming to New Jersey, Michael?

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2009 10:00 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

YES!
That's the one, and glad that you have it and posted the pict.

Unfortunately, I cannot make the convention in N.J.
Instead, I'm going to the mountains with Sugar.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 01, 2009 10:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a minor tecnical challenge: since it's in the interior of the box I couldn't scan it.

I shall represent Long Island on my own (as far as I know!).

--------------------

Thomas Stathes
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2009 10:10 PM      Profile for Thomas Stathes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

I'm in Queens (geographically Long Island!) and should have a ride down there but will probably need one back to the area...let me know if you can help at all. [Wink]
I'll be bringing a box or two of 8mm/16mm silent cartoons, comedies, odds & ends and some of my DVDs.

Cartoonsonfilm@gmail.com

--------------------
Drop me a line at CartoonsOnFilm@gmail.com

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 02, 2009 06:46 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kept several of those advert-boxes, luckily some of the films I got contained this extra added feature - Boxes are my middle name (make your own joke), as you all know - Mike, you can do as you please, but I'm going to the convention with ME! - Shorty

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 02, 2009 03:00 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once compiled here about Blackhawk generic box and some of the boxes haven't been mentioned here. Please Dino have a look at the link.

Doug, regarding the numbering system, it has also been discussed here: How we read the Blackhawk's label?. there are some more interesting infos there.

BTW, Did Blackhwak ever release a movie NOT in a generic artwork box?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2009 03:05 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH yeah I forgot about the prevue box, and I'll have to check if I have one of those Hal Roach boxes..... I saw a number of 16mm films listed on ebay recently that were in nothing more than a white box, that had a blackhawk label on the side....

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2009 06:54 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm...
Dino, it seems I have one not included in your pics-list.
Hope to find soon the time to take a picture of it and post it here! Funny topic, anyway.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2009 09:25 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More Laurel & Hardy.

Incidentally, I have seen the Blackhawk W.C. Fields Sennett Short films:(Barber Shop & Fatal Glass of Beer) in boxes that are identical to The Finishing Touch, and From Soup to Nuts.

-

-

-

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2009 01:28 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow those are some great ones Michael..

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2009 05:19 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mike, you can do as you please, but I'm going to the convention with ME! - Shorty
I'll get you, you Son of the Desert!

I've been collecting a long time, but I've never got any of the L&H boxes in Michael's last post.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my wife wouldnt let
me go. And the Exhausted Ruler said that if... you took an oath, it
would have to be broken for... generations and... centuries of...
hundreds of years

You're not going to the mountains, you're going to the convention....., just as I said, your going to the mountains!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shorty,
Alex Bartosh once had the brown box of the boys,
and Willoughby / Peerless camera in NYC had the other boxes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2009 10:10 AM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I did have those L&H boxes once, but I sold them to a fella for solid gold (for when we get back on the gold standard). The fella was really nice -- you know what he threw in for good measure -- some nuts.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2009 09:38 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard-Boiled-Eggs
&
Nuts!
Hmmmph!

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2009 01:44 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen those ones before, Michael. [Eek!]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian, Good one!

quote:
Never seen those ones before, Michael.

"D'oh!
[Big Grin]
Finlayson

quote:
The fella was really nice -- you know what he threw in for good measure -- some nuts.
Hard Boiled eggs and nuts.
[Big Grin]
Stan.

Those great lines.

[Smile]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 15, 2010 07:04 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a Charley Chase comedy, which has L&H in cameo roles, in the pink L£H box.
Would this be the original box?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 15, 2010 07:59 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the label on the box side is correct for the film, then most likely yes.

Most people wouldn't go to the trouble to peel and re-stick. Most of the few that tried would have a tough time making it look like it was always there.

I have a re-boxed L&H and the re-boxer just crossed out the old title and scribbled in the new one!

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 15, 2010 08:53 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, the label is covered with one of those plastic print- yourself labels, so its not possible to read the label underneath. I have another print from the same collection which also has this plastic labelling. It does not appear to be an attempt to deliberately cover the original label - more like the previous owners cataloging system.
I just wondered why a Charley Chase comedy would be in a L&H box.
The title is ON THE WRONG TREK.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2010 09:39 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do the number to the far right indicate? There seems to always be the letter 'R' just before them on the 2nd row of the label.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC