8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Is there a full list of all Marketing Films? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is there a full list of all Marketing Films?
David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2010 01:10 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done a search here, but did not find a full list of all Marketing Films releases. (Sorry if I missed it)

Small Format had the German Marketing Films releases, but I would be interested to know what made it into release and in what versions for the English speaking markets.

The 1980/81 catalog lists 25 films only and all were available in 400, 3 x 400 or complete feature.

Does anyone have a complete list or a later catalog with titles other than these?

Ten Commandments
War Of The Worlds
Saturday Night Fever
Samson & Delilah
Rosemary's Baby
Grease
To Catch A Thief
Prophecy
Once Upon A Time In The West
When Worlds Collide
Godfather
Godfather ll
Star Trek The Motion Picture
True Grit
Murder On The Orient Express
Marathon Man
The Warriors
Death Wish
Black Sunday
Death On The Nile
The Longest Yard (Mean Machine)
King Kong
Barbarella
Chinatown
Barracuda
Emmanuelle Joys Of A woman

David

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2010 06:09 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Don't forget the 400' of Raiders of the Lost Ark (there was going to be a 3x400', artwork and everything done, but never released).

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 22, 2010 06:41 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were Marketing a German company?

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2010 06:49 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

there used to be a webpage that tried to list all marketing releases. However that page is now history [Frown]

However these two pages might help:
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/k-marketing.htm
http://www.super8.homepage.t-online.de/Filmlisten%2016mmu.8mm.html
(Even though the second link claims to be a complete list, it is lacking several "marketing international"-releases ("Barracuda" as full-length, ...) and at least some of the "marketing"-cartoons with less than 120m)

quote:
Were Marketing a German company?
a) "marketing": Yes
b) "marketing international": No (was a direct subsidiary company of the German "marketing", but it was registered in the USA)

Jörg

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2010 08:05 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How could I forget Raiders; I watched my 400ft digest two nights ago!

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2010 08:15 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dug out my last two old invoices from 1981/82 from Marketing International. On these all the features was printed, and they are as follows:

4001 Saturday Night Fever
4002 Grease
4003 The Godfather
4004 Chinatown
4006 Once Upon a Time in the West
4007 The Godfather Part II
4008 Barbarella
4009 Marathon Man
4010 Black Sunday
4011 The Longest Yard
4124 The Warriors
4134 The Prophecy
4144 True Grit
4154 Samson & Delilah
4164 The War of the Worlds
4174 When Worlds Collide
4184 Rosemary's Baby
4194 To Catch a Thief
4301 Death Wish
4302 Murder on the Orient Express
4304 King Kong
4305 Death on the Nile
4306 Emanuelle: Joys of a Woman
4307 Airplane
4308 Escape from Alcatraz
4309 The Hunter
4310 Crack in the World
4311 One Eyed Jacks

Star Trek was only released as a 3x400.

As for Ten Commandments, I wrote a letter to them asking for price etc. and received the following answer.

"March 22, 1982

Dear Mr. Ahlm
I regret to inform you that THE TEN COMMANDMENTS full feature will not be released. The master we received for printing was not a good one, we therefore decided not to have it released as it would have been of very poor quality. I have put your name on the mailing list in the event we should have the feature printed.
Thank you for the interest.
Regards,
Joanna Gottman
Sales Manager"

As you can imagine that was very dissapointing. And that was almost the last I heard from them. A couple of months later I bought "One Eyed Jacks" and some months after that I read that they had ceased.

Hope this is some help on this subject.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 22, 2010 08:21 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, were these in German or with English subtitles or just English dialogue?

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2010 08:30 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, since this was from Marketing International, it was English dialogue. No subtitles, whitch is a sligth odd thing in The Godfather as there are lengthy parts where the dialogue are in Italian. Thankfully my limited knowledge in Italian is just enough to make me follow and understand what is said.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 22, 2010 08:59 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, there were no English titles even for the Italian parts???

Oh, dear!!!

[Frown]

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2010 12:18 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, were these in German or with English subtitles or just English dialogue?
* "Marketing" released their films in German
* "Marketing International" released their films in English, French and Spanish. (Some titles were not available in all three languages, though. And some of the titles can now also be bought with a German soundtrack, but I'm not sure whether this was done by marketing or by some German collectors.) -> just take a look at the scanned brochures under http://www.super-8-hobby.de/k-marketing.htm !

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 22, 2010 05:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From this scan: http://www.super-8-hobby.de/k-mf82.htm

We can see some the last releases from Marketing.

What are the last releases from Marketing (both German or International) ?

I understand "Final Countdown" (1982) is one of them. Can German members translate the 4 titles released close to the "Final Countdown" please

How is the "Final Countdown" color is seen now (fade or low fade?)

--------------------
Winbert

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2010 06:51 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ten commandments was released full length for Spanish market,was a 12*400 on two great boxes containing 6 reel,the film was printed in 1979 without the De Mille introduction.... maybe they damage the original negative and then maybe received a poor one in 1982....a great pity because the marketing full feature was great on super 8

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 22, 2010 09:46 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - I don't know German but I can answer your question. The release indicated on the scan after 'The Final Countdown' is three reels from an obscure Italian film which got a German release: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079859/
I expect this was only available in German sound as I doubt if it is well known in the USA or UK.
The final release listed is 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2010 02:44 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This italian movie is not exactly obscure,if I,m not mistaken it is THE SHERIFF & THE SATELITE KID which Paramount distributed in Europe and was apparently a blockbuster in both Italy and Germany hence its release by Marketing for the German market.

The sequel was I.M WITH THE HIPPOPOTOMOS!!!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 23, 2010 05:57 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adrian for letting me know two titles after the "Final Countdown" ("Der Letze Countdown").

Can anybody here tell me (translate it)what 3 titles before the Final Countdown please.

And also one title between "Star Trek" and "Escape From Alcatraz".

ps: Marketing is always my favorite in terms of packaging!

--------------------
Winbert

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2010 08:31 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

the 3 titels before the final countdown are as follows:

1) Der Besessene = one eyed jacks with karl malden and marlon brando

2) Ein Riß in der Welt = crack in the world (george pal scifi)

3) Jeder Kopf hat seinen Preis = the hunter

The film betwenn star trek and escape from alcatraz is Airplane

Hope it helps.

Ralf

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 23, 2010 08:37 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ralph,

Thanks that helps!

How wonderful is German Marketing collection [Cool] . I am totaly envie [Razz]

I understand that "One Yed Jack" and "The Hunter" are available in English version, but what about "Crack in the World". Any body knows?

I also notice "The Island of Dr Moreau" on that list, is this also available in English version?

Lastly, probably Ralph you can answer this. What stock are used for these last releases. I have Airplane and it is on Kodak SP.

Any possibility to have these 3 parter release on AGFA as we have for "Raiders of the Lost Ark"? or "ROTA" is the onle one?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 23, 2010 07:09 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

There is an English version of the feature length "Crack in the World". I had the three parter (nice color!) and sold it.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 23, 2010 08:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Doug... must be a rare one now.

I never seen it in my life of collecting.

What about "The Island of Dr Moreau"? Any English version?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 23, 2010 09:28 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I also have a Spanish version of "Crack in the World", but the color is nowhere near as good as the English one.

-

-

-

-

I've never seen an English language Marketing version of "The Island of Dr. Moreau". There are plenty of English optical sound airline prints of that title around.

Doug

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 23, 2010 10:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woooow... nice box. If I may know, why did you sell the English version and keep this Spanish? [Confused] ¿Habla usted español muy bien, mi amigo?

quote:
There are plenty of English optical sound airline prints of that title around.
Yes I knew it but they don't come with the box, and I am one of collectors that concern so much with OB. And most important, this is Marketing with a deluxe OB [Wink]

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 24, 2010 07:52 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 400ft reel of Star Trek was released. It's a 12 minutes promo (think "super trailer"). It's followed by a series of short extracts from selected Marketing International cut-downs.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 24, 2010 11:50 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I bought "Crack in the World" specifically for a collector friend who had mentioned this title often. He bought a copy when it first came out, sold it and regretted that ever since. After I picked it up, I came across an eBay auction of the Spanish version. I made a recording of the English audio and I still have plans to re-record that copy.

Doug

--------------------

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2010 04:32 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 1094 Reel of Crack in the World, desperate to get the full 3x 400 print.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2010 07:00 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From another thread I read recently, Grease 2 is out there in a 1x400, and 3x400. Though the movie sucked, I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC